Definitive test of having tempered glass? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Definitive test of having tempered glass?

To the folks who drilled your tanks: How did you definitively identify that your tank was tempered glass?

Mine is a 60 gallon. I have been looking all over the internet for tips. Found a ton of information but when I check myself, it does not pan out. So far...

1. The polarized sunglasses test
This trick does not seem to be definitive. I have tempered glass on many window panes in my house, the polarized sunglasses test does not indicate that the glass is tempered even though those panes have clearly markings saying tempered glass. It did however show the vertical lines on the side windows on only one of my 2 cars. I suspect those lines come from laminated glass, not tempered glass, although the articles say those lines come from glass sitting on rollers during manufacturing.

2. Edge smoothness test
The edges of my tank panes seem smooth, like the photo below (photo credit in PS#1 below). I'll see if I can get a good photo of my tank's panes.
By the way, I have a old 10 gallon, its edges have tiny serrations/imperfections from when the glass was scored. The 60 gallon does not seem to have them. Again, is this a good test? I do not know.

I want to drill my tank for an overflow and return. But do not want to find out the hard way if it is tempered or not.

Here are some photos of my tank's glass:

The swirls in the last photo are coming from a reflection from an IKEA paper light standing next to the tank.

PS: I have read many articles, some of them are here:

https://glasswithapast.com/knowledge...empered-glass/

https://www.fabglassandmirror.com/bl...s-is-tempered/
https://thefurnitureguyblog.wordpres...empered-glass/

Last edited by rajdude; 05-23-2020 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:17 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I set up a LFS with over 50 tanks that we drilled, but had the luxury of buying new and knowing that only the bottom panes of the Marineland aquariums I had bought were tempered. Do you know the manufacturer? Should be easy to find out if we know that (assuming this is relatively new tank).

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I set up a LFS with over 50 tanks that we drilled, but had the luxury of buying new and knowing that only the bottom panes of the Marineland aquariums I had bought were tempered. Do you know the manufacturer? Should be easy to find out if we know that (assuming this is relatively new tank).
Yes, I believe it's built by Marineland, sold by PetSmart. My combo looks exactly like the one on the right side here.

https://hip2save.com/2016/12/07/pets...ularly-349-99/

Here's a photo of the label in the tank...

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

-Raj

Last edited by rajdude; 05-23-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added info

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lightbulb Specs

I found this PDF (attached)
It says this:

Is it 100% sure then, I do not know.

What do you guys say?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Marineland Aquarium Specifications.pdf (53.4 KB, 3 views)

-Raj
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 06:53 PM
snails are your friend

Are you wanting to drill the back wall, I'm guessing? Unless that's a custom tank, it really should be safe. Not 100%, but 99 point something %. Must point out that it's still possible to break non-tempered glass even drilling it carefully with the correct diamond hole saw, and probably more so the older the tank is.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Are you wanting to drill the back wall, I'm guessing? Unless that's a custom tank, it really should be safe. Not 100%, but 99 point something %. Must point out that it's still possible to break non-tempered glass even drilling it carefully with the correct diamond hole saw, and probably more so the older the tank is.
Yes, I would like to drill the back wall to install an overflow.

Since you drilled so many tanks, any tips for reducing chances of breakage?

Like will a drill guide help?
New bit?

When I was a child, I read somewhere that with total immersion in water, one could cut thin glass with heavy shears...idea being water will absorb vibrations!
Sounds like snake oil, but I was gullible and did actually try it... I could not cut it because I didn't have heavy duty shears, tried it with just scissors! LoL I do recall that the glass did not crack.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

-Raj
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 07:56 PM
snails are your friend

A new bit is very helpful. A guide (or better yet, a press) would decrease likelihood of cracking also. We did use clay to trap a pool of water as I recall, the hole saw instructions recommended it. Just go slow and steady and don't apply too much downward pressure is about my only advice. Couldn't hurt to practice on a pane or two first.

Tags
drill glass, tempered

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode