Which sump for a 180 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Which sump for a 180 gallon?

I'm planning a big tank project and I'm trying to figure out which sump would be suitable. Curious what others use and why?

The Devil's in the Details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had a 60 gallon sump under my 220. You need a big enough sump to handle the overflow from the main tank in case of a power failure.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Are you planning on injecting CO2?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I dont have a sump on my 180, I have 2- Fluvel FX6 filters. Works great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's the sump I'm running on my 210 right now. If you are going to run CO2, I'd stick with a design that keeps the drains under water, and also set up your overflow so that you are not sucking air. If you aren't going to run CO2, I don't see any problem running a wet dry configuration. They are quite cheap if you get one used from someone getting out of keeping reefs. The other question would be about what kind of fish you'll be keeping. If you are keeping shrimp or guppies, you can make a trip through the drain a bit safer for them.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes I'm planning on CO2 and shrimp and many small fish like neons. One of my many reasons for wanting a sump is ease of maintenance and minimum equipment in the tank. I have a tank with an Aqueon pro flex and I really like how its laid out it just seemed flimsy and began to bow out on the sides

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntheskier View Post
Yes I'm planning on CO2 and shrimp and many small fish like neons. One of my many reasons for wanting a sump is ease of maintenance and minimum equipment in the tank. I have a tank with an Aqueon pro flex and I really like how its laid out it just seemed flimsy and began to bow out on the sides
The zeroedge sump that I showed a picture of above would be ok with a Herbie or Bean Animal overflow. The filter sock costs me endlers/guppies at about 1 per day. I have the megaflow overflows that I replumbed in a Herbie configuration. I have also ran a sump that basically was just a big refugium with a return pump behind a mattenfilter. Makes it more survivable for the fish that take the ride.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I am going to use a Fiji Cube Low Profile External Overflow Box (Bean Animal Style) so I should be able to prevent shrimp, snails and fish from going down the overflow with medium PPI sponge, because I really like filter socks for ease of maintenance. I also want the sump to be as big as possible to increase the total system volume. I have herd of planted tank sump users sealing the sump to slow CO2 loss so perhaps one that is easy to seal would be nice. Many of the sumps that I have looked seem to be way more oriented toward marine reefs with probe holders and such. I am more asking others what manufactures make good quality sumps that don't necessarily have too many bells and whistles. Oh and thanks for everyone's input.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 02:41 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I have herd of planted tank sump users sealing the sump to slow CO2 loss so perhaps one that is easy to seal would be nice. Many of the sumps that I have looked seem to be way more oriented toward marine reefs with probe holders and such. I am more asking others what manufactures make good quality sumps that don't necessarily have too many bells and whistles. Oh and thanks for everyone's input.
If you are looking for a simple sump just buy an acrylic aquarium, silicone in a couple partitions and buy an accessory filter bag holder that will attach.
I read the same thing about sealing the sump when I started but quickly realized its not possible due to cords and plumbing. Here is what I did instead and it works great; off gassing has not been an issue.

What you see is a 7" filter bag and a 7" pyrex lid, which fit together perfectly. And the end if my drain line which contains some plastic batting and a reducer fitting to help catch some bubbles. Also the standard 100 or 200 micron bags aren't fine enough, I started buying the 10 micron bags you can find on amazon. As a result my sump stays a lot cleaner, my tank is clearer, and I assume less co2 diffusion through the bag.

Another option: Google " wet sump swiss tropicals" for a diagram of a simple sump using Poret foam.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The wet sump was kind of what I was referring to, but I like to have a larger refugium area before the pump to act as a settling area for detritus.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
If you are looking for a simple sump just buy an acrylic aquarium, silicone in a couple partitions and buy an accessory filter bag holder that will attach.
I read the same thing about sealing the sump when I started but quickly realized its not possible due to cords and plumbing. Here is what I did instead and it works great; off gassing has not been an issue.

What you see is a 7" filter bag and a 7" pyrex lid, which fit together perfectly. And the end if my drain line which contains some plastic batting and a reducer fitting to help catch some bubbles. Also the standard 100 or 200 micron bags aren't fine enough, I started buying the 10 micron bags you can find on amazon. As a result my sump stays a lot cleaner, my tank is clearer, and I assume less co2 diffusion through the bag.

Another option: Google " wet sump swiss tropicals" for a diagram of a simple sump using Poret foam.
So how dose the pyrex lid and the 90 degree fitting and the reducer and the batting help conserve CO2?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 01:40 PM
Planted Member

Quote:

So how dose the pyrex lid and the 90 degree fitting and the reducer and the batting help conserve CO2?
Have you seen the volume of bubbles in a sump if you don't use some type of filter material to minimize them? That's the off-gassing you're trying to prevent. Its more air- tight than trying to seal a sump, which is not practical. The reducer and batting just help trap more bubbles and slow the flow and reduce the noise from the rush of water draining into the sump.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Carbon dioxide is the densest of atmospheric gases, so you don't actually need to completely seal a sump to keep CO2 above the water. It's not like you are really going to be able to seal it to the point of pressurizing it anyway. Just think about the gas blanket that forms I've dry ice in a container (there is a temp difference there too, but it illustrates the point).

Unless the sump is a wet dry, you should probably be more worried about the overflow causing off-gassing.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for your help. I have a better idea of what I ma looking for now. I'm just trying to do as much research as possible to avoid a stupid purchase which is so easy to do in this hobby.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 11:18 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to allexx46 Send a message via Yahoo to allexx46
Poret foam

MBoley I am going to bite on this: "Another option: Google " wet sump swiss tropicals" for a diagram of a simple sump using Poret foam."

I went to the website. Have you or anyone else reading this used this foam? I am always looking for a better mouse trap. If this is better than the 30 other filter foams available on Amazon I would be interested in hearing from you. I am presently using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as the pre-filter for my down flow wet dry filter over bio-balls and am quite pleased with it.

I did not originally respond to this string because my sump and tank are all custom made by a shop near me in Vancouver Washington. I have only one tank and it is running well with large fish and 30" plants. Completely different animal than a tank with small fish.

here are some pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200423_020116068_iOS.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	899023

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200423_020016871_iOS.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	899025

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200423_020207176_iOS.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	899027

Tank is 165 show mounted in the wall. Sump is ~45 gal wet dry and sized to take the overflow in a power outage. It has overflow plumbing to a drain if something unexpected happens. Note my overflows are setup as refugiums with snails and Amano shrimp and plants that suck up nutrients. Front tank has large fish and large plants in 30" tall tank which is a bitch to dive into and clean. Cleanup crew in the tank are Siamese algae eater and a fleet of garra and fancy plecos. Controls are Apex and Current. CO2 is by CO2ART. Refugiums have coarse sponge intakes to reduce trumpet snails and leaves going into the sump.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode