Best way to achieve good circulation in my tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best way to achieve good circulation in my tank?

So Iím trying to figure out the most efficient configuration for my tank that will provide good circulation everywhere without blowing my plants down. Itís a 75g and hereís what I have to work with:

Canister filter water going out (middlish area of tank) and water coming in (near upper area of tank) neither are adjustable but both can be moved along the back or swapped

Internal power filter with outflow nearer top of the tank similar height to canister inflow, with inflow directly on the bottom so canít be driven down into the substrate

Small koralia

Also have a large koralia type pump but itís way overkill, my plants all go sideways if itís in there. Unless thereís a way to modify it to reduce flow. Not sure what I was thinking when I bought it

Current configuration is:

On the back and a few inches from the far left: water return from canister
Left side middle: small koralia pointed a bit down and towards the back as that plant mass tends to create dead spots there in the back bottom area which is also where the heater is
Right back corner: power filter with output pointing across the back
On the back and few inches from the right: canister intake

So what I donít like about it now is the fast growing plant mass in the back left constantly gets the top pushed out towards the front with the canister return coming in there and shades anything growing more towards the front of the tank on that side. (I trim at least weekly but it takes no time to grow up again) At the same time I feel like the power filter is putting out clean water, some of which is then going into the canister filter intake, so sort of a waste of filtration. And Iím not sure that Iím maximizing efficiency of circulation with some cross purposes happening there. Any suggestions?

There will be some rescaping happening but not till I get some plant issues figured out first, donít want to have a big disturbance just yet. But suggestions there are great too. What happened with this tank is that I ended up with a whole whack of random plants and essentially just planted them without much rhyme or reason to get them growing and it sort of went from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 01:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

I used to have various pumps (Koralias) in addition to my standard wand from my canister in the back of the tank and it is difficult to get them all going in a uniform way. However, about 8 months ago, I tried something that I have come to like much better.

I added a enough of these type of small-diameter spraybars (they connect together to any length) to cover the length of my tank: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I fixed them to the front of my tank at the very top (each tank will need some creativity in how to attach them) and point them straight down the front glass. My canister is a little too strong with this configuration (causes too much flow), but I found that by rotating the length of the extended bar, I can adjust the flow by finding the correct angle at which the small streams hit the glass. Now, my plants all are in a consistent flow and the tops, in the back, aren't pushed forward as they are with typical flow patterns from pumps/returns placed in the back.

This left the problem of gas exchange, since this bar is pushing straight down. So, I added a small skimmer (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which does the job. I was able to confirm this by measuring O2 and it rises to ~12ppm (which is quite good), from ~8ppm without the skimmer.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the tips. My canister doesnít have a particularly strong current so a full spray bar probably wouldnít work great, but it did give me the idea of moving the canister hookups out from the back wall to either side of the tank. That definitely seems to have improved things because when I put in the frozen fish food today after thawing it and breaking it up, within a minute it was all over the tank. Usually it would basically stay in one vicinity except for a few stray pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode