Future 200 gallon planted tank plans - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Future 200 gallon planted tank plans

So I am long term planning a 200 gallon planted tank. I'm thinking 6'x24"x24". I know that I want to go with a sump filter with an external overflow for several reasons one of which is to have minimal equipment in the tank. I will go with a Riggs style reactor. So I'm not sure if this is an original idea but I was considering having two return pumps. One would feed the reactor and the other just a return. During the daylight cycle only the return with the reactor would run and then during the night cycle both pumps would run. My thought was this would reduce CO2 off gassing during the light cycle and then at night help with oxygenation. Other benefits would be reduced power consumption, longer pump life and the tank would be quieter during the day. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Devil's in the Details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 10:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
The dimensions of a 180 are probably my favorite. The setup that I had at my last house was similar to what you describe. I had a separate loop for a UV sterilizer that I was planning on eventually adding a CO2 reactor too. I actually had 2 pumps returning from the sump too the tank, and a separate smaller pump for the UV that came back to the sump. You can minimize off-gassing by using a Herbie or Bean Animal style overflow and not using a wet dry filter in the sump.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Actually you are right those are the dimensions of a 180. I like how its not too deep for messing with plants and hardscape. Right now I have a 75 gal hex and I can barley reach the bottom of even though I'm 6' 1". The other reason I like the idea of two return pumps is for redundancy in case one pump fails. For the sump itself I am considering a 75 gallon tank converted into a sump. And it would not be a wet-dry both for off gassing and noise. Plus it seems like it would be easier to seal to reduce CO2 loss. Oh and definitely a Bean Animal Style for safety, quiet and less gas loss.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If a couple extra dollars on okay, There is a good way to add safety as well as save gas and keep it all very stable.
One big point on saving money on the reg setup is to go with a single stage reg as they are lots cheaper. The downside of some of them is that they can lead to an"end of tank dump" (EOTD) which is very serious as it can dump lots of CO2 into the tank and kill all the fish, making many folks very nervous about using single stage regs. So one way to get multi-purpose is to add a PH controller but save some money by going to the cheaper reg. Total may cost a few dollars more but you get some other bennies at the same time.
Off gassing is not an issue which concerns me terribly as the actual gas is very cheap, but I do like the tank to stay stable, even though nature may not keep CO2 that way. I breed African cichlids and they tend to be high dollars folks which I like to give the best shot possible and stable is my main point to keep them healthy!
A cheap "beer reg" for $50-60, tied to a controller which cuts the gas on/off depending on the actual level does a good job of giving me safety as well as making it much easier to monitor. NO bubble counting needed!! I find no need for bubble counters which don't work for large gas flow on big tanks nor flowmeters, when I use the controller and just look at the number on the front!
Just an alternate view from a guy who doesn't like to work much!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Great idea to use two pumps for redundancy

I like the idea of using 2 pumps during lights on and 1 during night

are you going to try and do a high light set up or just mid light with CO2?
I think the co2 offgasing is an issue but not too problematic considering how cheap CO2 is, but anything helps in keeping the stability.

What are you thinking about putting in the sump? some filter socks and bio media?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you want quiet , go with DC pumps . You will be glad you did.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

SO when I said I was "long term planning" a big tank I should have said "long term buying" a big tank. I Have been buying all of the parts and pieces for this tank for a few months. I have a CO2 art dual stage regulator, Seachem Flourite(one bag at a time), foam blocks for biomedia from Swiss Tropicals,stintered glass bioballs from eheim, various plastic bioballs, aFiji Cube Low Profile External Overflow Box (Bean Animal Style), and various plumbing parts. Definitly going with filter socks(I have a bunch from another tank). What i'm doing is buying stuff as I find it on sale or taking advantage of combining shipping when I buy things for my other tanks. I'm also not necessarily going budget since the aquarium that I plan on buying is acrylic. I also am going to make the stand and canopy/cabinet myself so that it matches the cabinets in our kitchen/living room and I enjoy that sort of thing. As far as lighting I'm not exactly sure. I don't know that much about lighting. I currently only have used a Current USA Satellite Planted Plus Pro (that I really like) and a Fluval Fresh and Plant (which is garbage). I'm also not exactly sure what constitutes "high lighting" but I was thinking of using 4 or 5 -24" lights mounted short ways to be able to have a little more flexibility in how bright different parts of tank are lit and for redundancy. It would suck to have one 6' long fixture burn out and have no light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
If you want quiet , go with DC pumps . You will be glad you did.
I am not all that familiar with DC motors except for in RC cars where they are quite advanced and really impressive. Why would I like them so much?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-20-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
They are very quite , adjustable , use way less energy , produce less heat , and some have a feed feature that turns them off for 10 mins or so and then back on so you can feed the fish .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode