Co2 regulator recommendation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 regulator recommendation

So I'm looking for a Co2 regulator/solenoid that will be reliable and affordable.

I have been looking at the FZone DC model on amazon. Its reasonably priced with decent reviews. A friend of mine is recommending the up aqua though.

Thoughts, recommendations or experiences?

It's a 27 gal tank and I already have the repurposed extinguishercylinder with gca 320 so not going to be using a paintball tank or anything.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Reliable = dual stage with custom post body kit (flowerfishs on Barr Report, or Bettatail here on TPT)
Affordable = co2art, anything on Amazon, etc.

You won't get a full setup that fills both guidelines.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 01:28 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
Reliable = dual stage with custom post body kit (flowerfishs on Barr Report, or Bettatail here on TPT)

I'm also in the market for a regulator. What would you consider to be the top end reliable brands that aren't custom built? I see a lot about GLA being top of the line, are there any other comparables to GLA? Do you have any experience with the CO2art, or the UNS?

I've had terrible experience with going cheap on amazon for DIY CO2 setups and would prefer to spend the extra money on one that aint gonna break than end up having to buy a new regulator every year.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhokie View Post
I'm also in the market for a regulator. What would you consider to be the top end reliable brands that aren't custom built? I see a lot about GLA being top of the line, are there any other comparables to GLA? Do you have any experience with the CO2art, or the UNS?

I've had terrible experience with going cheap on amazon for DIY CO2 setups and would prefer to spend the extra money on one that aint gonna break than end up having to buy a new regulator every year.
I know some here don't like GLA but my GLA Nano V2 paintball regulator has been rock solid over the past 6 years I've had it. It's still going strong and I am considering upgrading to their GRO regulator and upgrade to a normal tank:

https://greenleafaquariums.com/produ...regulator.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 07:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Everyone's experience is different with the same regulators. Some of it is user error, some build, Most important thing is the needle valve holds firm and you don't get needle valve creep. That IMO is the number one thing that kills fish not whether it's single or dual stage.

I've had two azoo regulators (under $90) last me 10 years without issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhokie View Post

I really can't give any feedback on any pre-built rigs. I've only ran custom setups pieced together from eBay and sale threads here on TPT.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post

When you say custom do you mean they custom machine the parts or that they put together over the counter parts for a build there own setup? Just curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
When you say custom do you mean they custom machine the parts or that they put together over the counter parts for a build there own setup? Just curious.
Buying individual components and piecing it together. Regulator, solenoid, metering valve, bubble counter, threaded connectors, etc.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I just want something that will stay mostly where I see it, not kill my fish and last a least a 18 months to a year.

My tank is 27 gal. I do not need to go crazy.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 09:34 PM

Adding my 2 cents. I currently have two types of regulators,
* FZone Triple stage compact regulator with solenoid (Amazon Link). I like this a lot. The needle valve has been steady and very easy to set to very slow release. However, in about 6 months of ownership (and likely a higher-than-average amount of readjustment and fiddling) the solenoid's electrical wires came exposed. It still works, but I'm always nervous about physical stresses making the wires disconnect.
* A CO2 Art dual stage regulator. This a heaping pile of garbage. The needle valve feels impossible to dial in for small tanks, and I can feel that output pressure valve is not functioning properly (I can feel the springs inside the mechanism as I operate it) so every other day my output pressure drops to zero. It's a liability and a danger to my setups, the tank it was feeding has now developed a persistent Algae issue due to irregular CO2 dosing. Incidentally, that's what brought me to this thread!

I think I'm going to give the GLA a shot this time. Its a significant expense up front, but if it delivers the expense will be better than countless wasted hours, and material losses within the aquarium.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-16-2020 at 08:30 AM. Reason: No referral links

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode