Filtration - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filtration

Just wondering on opinions of sponge filters and how big of one I would need for a 20gallon long... Looking to ditch my HOB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Sponge filters are good. For a 20L I used a large filter hooked up to a Tetra Whisper 100 pump. Worked well in a shrimp only setup. I tried a corner filter too and it worked good as well. I always wanted to try a corner HMF filter but never have.

Question is why are you wanting to ditch the HOB? Sponge filters are pretty obtrusive in the tank and I actually dislike all the bubbles but they are awesome for shrimp. HOB gives the freedom of some media options and better water flow and they aren't any more ugly on a tank than a sponge filter is in a tank.

If you are wanting to clean up the looks maybe check out some canister filter options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Sponge filters are good. For a 20L I used a large filter hooked up to a Tetra Whisper 100 pump. Worked well in a shrimp only setup. I tried a corner filter too and it worked good as well. I always wanted to try a corner HMF filter but never have.

Question is why are you wanting to ditch the HOB? Sponge filters are pretty obtrusive in the tank and I actually dislike all the bubbles but they are awesome for shrimp. HOB gives the freedom of some media options and better water flow and they aren't any more ugly on a tank than a sponge filter is in a tank.

If you are wanting to clean up the looks maybe check out some canister filter options.
Ditching it do to space outside of tank... Need to be able to get closer to wall... I no I will miss the sheer amount of water my HOB can filter per hour. But I also have a pretty nice clean up grew with shrimp... And found a place that actually has ottos so that will help also.

Also upgraded my lighting so I'm hoping the healthier live plants will also help with the difference...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also when I switch over from HOB to sponge is it needed to leave the HOB on while the sponge gets bacteria on it? Or if the tank is completely cycled for a year will it be fun to just hook it up and run.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Probably fine to hookup and go. If u have a aquaclear hob then I would use one of the sponges if u can. U have a good reserve of BBA on the substrate, plants, and decoration so as long as its not a highly stocked tank should be OK. Just keep an eye on parameters for first couple days.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a sponge over my intake... And ceramic media in HOB... Maybe I'll just float those in the tank for a day or two while the sponge filter grows its own.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Technically best place for your hob would be at back hanging on left end glass. That would put filter output blowing down length of aquarium for better circulation and get rid of your back wall problem.

If you really want to go sponge you’ll need 2 like these or most your tank will be a dead zone of circulation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VTT5CJM...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Set them up so outputs are pointed to get water in tank moving in a circular pattern. Wouldn’t even attempt to run that long of a tank on a single bubble filter of any size.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I can't say how well it works, but I've been thinking about adding one of these to my 75G:

https://www.amazon.com/Marina-A287-S...upplies&sr=1-1
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Technically best place for your hob would be at back hanging on left end glass. That would put filter output blowing down length of aquarium for better circulation and get rid of your back wall problem.

If you really want to go sponge you’ll need 2 like these or most your tank will be a dead zone of circulation.
Yeah I thought about hanging on side... But then I have to figure a new mounting for my light..
And I was also thinking with a sponge filter I would put a 90 on the top of the tube and direct it down the length of the tank glass to create a little bit of current... Also thought about getting one of them decorations where you hook up an air pump just it creat more movement... I also kind of like the bubbles...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarey04 View Post
Yeah I thought about hanging on side... But then I have to figure a new mounting for my light..
And I was also thinking with a sponge filter I would put a 90 on the top of the tube and direct it down the length of the tank glass to create a little bit of current... Also thought about getting one of them decorations where you hook up an air pump just it creat more movement... I also kind of like the bubbles...
Another option if you havenít thought about it is a little internal power filters.

https://www.amazon.com/Hygger-Intern...pplies&sr=1-33

By time you buy sponge filter and a decent air pump your close to same price. And they are dead quiet usually instead of the constant buzz sound you get with a air pump.
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll have to look into those. I already have an air pump and honestly I probably have all the stuff I need to make a diy sponge filter.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 08:07 PM
Algae Grower

I have a vertical blue interpet air pump running two smallish foam filters and an airstone and the bubbling is way more audible than the filter which is whisper quiet and quite old too.

Also as the impellers wear on internal filters they can make noise as well.

I have just added a foam cover to the inlet on my fluval 106 because it was getting clogged with plant bits and sucking up dwarf water lettuce roots and I suspect tired live daphnia before the fish can eat them. It will also add a reasonable volume of bacteria growing surface which never hurts. It's a dark water tank it's at the back next to a vertical dark piece of wood so is hardly visible.

I too would try and keep your external filter if you can, the top edging and the top of my tank won't allow something like that. Hence the 106 which replaced a UGF so I could grow plants in the substrate as well as on the bogwood. That has worked well. Except the 'dwarf' vals were not dwarf and grew like crazy across the surface. Another thread on here gave me the idea to replace them with floaters, the lettuce and frogbit. My dwarf rasboras love the forest of roots. The Betta seems to like pushing himself between them, maybe likes the rub. Also hunting the daphia amongst the roots is harder. Keeps them busy for hours.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscleguy View Post
I have a vertical blue interpet air pump running two smallish foam filters and an airstone and the bubbling is way more audible than the filter which is whisper quiet and quite old too.

Also as the impellers wear on internal filters they can make noise as well.

I have just added a foam cover to the inlet on my fluval 106 because it was getting clogged with plant bits and sucking up dwarf water lettuce roots and I suspect tired live daphnia before the fish can eat them. It will also add a reasonable volume of bacteria growing surface which never hurts. It's a dark water tank it's at the back next to a vertical dark piece of wood so is hardly visible.

I too would try and keep your external filter if you can, the top edging and the top of my tank won't allow something like that. Hence the 106 which replaced a UGF so I could grow plants in the substrate as well as on the bogwood. That has worked well. Except the 'dwarf' vals were not dwarf and grew like crazy across the surface. Another thread on here gave me the idea to replace them with floaters, the lettuce and frogbit. My dwarf rasboras love the forest of roots. The Betta seems to like pushing himself between them, maybe likes the rub. Also hunting the daphia amongst the roots is harder. Keeps them busy for hours.
Ideally I keep the HOB filter (I also have the intake sponges... It is just an outside of the tank space issue... I thought of doing a diy sponge filter... I saw one where they actually plumbed it out of the water... So it is running into your tank just like a HOB filter... I'm gonna do some testing tomorrow and see if I can replicate it tomorrow and if I can I will post a picture or video.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 11:00 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
I can't say how well it works, but I've been thinking about adding one of these to my 75G:

https://www.amazon.com/Marina-A287-S...upplies&sr=1-1
Way too small for a 75 gallon. I used this on my 10 gallon tank.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somefishguy View Post
Way too small for a 75 gallon. I used this on my 10 gallon tank.
I already have a Fluval canister on there, I was looking to add it and set it up as a water polisher. It looked interesting since it was so slim. I also have rear space issues on the tank and a canopy that precludes a side mount filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode