Auto dosing with a canister filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Auto dosing with a canister filter?

Hey, I couldn't find too much information on the the topic but am interested in buying an auto doser for my new tank build but would like to keep hardware out of the display. Is there a way to achieve this inline with a canister filter? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 12:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
So like dosing into the canister filter? Well typically autodosing works best dripping into the aquarium. If you do attempt this you absolutely need to make sure your using some quality one way valves. Hobby ones arent good. Because if the canister filter pumps water in or out of the doser lines it will spell trouble. I would keep the one way valves close to the dosing tip to prevent leaching of the ferts that are inline.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 08:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
I had the same idea with my tank too in order to keep the clean look but it created a bunch of other problems.

unless you have a sump it's hard to accurately dose inside the filter lines since they're going to be pressurized. I have a cheap doser and was thinking of drilling some lines directly into the output of my eheim but then I wouldn't be able to confirm that the doser was creating enough pressure to overcome the 1 way valves and the pressure in the out line

I ended up just putting the dosing lines around the back of the aquarium and then coming up and dripping from the top. they're hidden in a white cord manager that also holds the light wires so they're out of the way

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I tried that for a little while. I put a T fitting with a barb for an airline tube inline with my canister. As stated above, the doser I had wasn't strong enough to open any of the valves that I tried. I capped the fitting and gave up on that idea at least until I can get the funding to play with it again and try a different solution.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode