Fluval Spec V improved flow - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jenth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Spec V improved flow

I am having some troubles with the flow from the output nozzle on the Fluval Spec V. I am finding that with the nozzle I can have good surface agitation and poor flow on the substrate or the other way around. The stock setup does not seem ideal for a planted tank and making sure nutrients and CO2 are dispersed on all levels. Also, it is difficult to have to kick up poop from the substrate and am seeing slight algae issues from not having flow on all levels of the tank.

Any suggestions on how to improve this? Anyone able to make the stock setup work without issue? It would be nice if there was a dual output nozzle that could be pointed at both the top and lower portion of the tank.

Thank you!
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

Options

Im subscribed. I just picked up a Fluval Spec V and am currently putting it together. To help out with your agitation, you could look into getting different pump, also, look to see if there are too many holes in your tube that leads from the pump to the outlet nozzle. I picked up a used one and there were about 10 holes that didn't allow for much flow. Anyways, there is give and take with the holes in the tube. Also, taking into consideration the lack of flow throughout the tank when setting up your aquascape may also help.

There are other options like clip on fans (although unsightly) that blow the surface of the water and there is also a spray bars.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...umbers.360481/
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noworeez View Post
Im subscribed. I just picked up a Fluval Spec V and am currently putting it together. To help out with your agitation, you could look into getting different pump, also, look to see if there are too many holes in your tube that leads from the pump to the outlet nozzle. I picked up a used one and there were about 10 holes that didn't allow for much flow. Anyways, there is give and take with the holes in the tube. Also, taking into consideration the lack of flow throughout the tank when setting up your aquascape may also help.

There are other options like clip on fans (although unsightly) that blow the surface of the water and there is also a spray bars.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfis...umbers.360481/
The holes in the pump tube are a good idea. Especially if you have a heater in the chamber. Certainly too many or too large holes can cause issues. I turned my pump all the way up and water is blasting out. The problem I find with these tanks is not the strength of flow but the design of the output nozzle. It is too narrow and you end up with flow on the top of your tank or bottom depending on how you have it pointed.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What indicators have you seen that your flow is an issue?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
What indicators have you seen that your flow is an issue?
Detritus on the substrate, light algae on hardscape, CO2 bubbles not evenly distributed around the tank. Some plants are blasted by flow (bending) while others on the bottom aren't even moving.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenth View Post
Detritus on the substrate, light algae on hardscape, CO2 bubbles not evenly distributed around the tank. Some plants are blasted by flow (bending) while others on the bottom aren't even moving.
Can you move the nozzle so it blasts off the back wall and let it whip around. Your never going to remove all debris to the filter in a planted tank. That's what weekly water change/vacuum are for. Removing detritus via water change is far superior than letting it go to the filter. This is really a myth that people (not you necessarily) have about filters. There is nothing magical going on in there. The detitrus/decaying organics are still part of the system until you clean the filter which is going to be less frequent than a weekly water change.

Have you measured the difference in co2 in different parts of the tank. I'm very doubtful there will be any difference, especially in a small tank where it's near impossible for co2 and dissolved ferts not to flow everywhere. I've never, ever had a return nozzle aimed down at my substrate in a planted tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenth View Post
I am having some troubles with the flow from the output nozzle on the Fluval Spec V. I am finding that with the nozzle I can have good surface agitation and poor flow on the substrate or the other way around. The stock setup does not seem ideal for a planted tank and making sure nutrients and CO2 are dispersed on all levels. Also, it is difficult to have to kick up poop from the substrate and am seeing slight algae issues from not having flow on all levels of the tank.

Any suggestions on how to improve this? Anyone able to make the stock setup work without issue? It would be nice if there was a dual output nozzle that could be pointed at both the top and lower portion of the tank.

Thank you!
I agree, it would be nice to have the dual nozzle like available in the Fluvel Flex series.

There are pluses and minuses in each of these all-in- one set-ups. I hate the light in the Fluvel Flex, but really like the light in the Fluvel Spec V. The dual nozzle in the Fluvel Flex allows for much better movement and circulation than the single nozzle on the Fluvel Spec V.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode