passive co2 anyone done what this person does on youtube? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
passive co2 anyone done what this person does on youtube?

Hi guys,

i was trying to figure out how this man does his passive co2. i want to do passive co2 as well, i can't figure out what kind of a regulator and stuff he uses. Can anyone help or guide me in the right direction?

he uses a plastic wand of some sort, a co2 regulator and some knob to open it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 11:15 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yes, I have and I think a few others here have or do as well. It works to get CO2 up to 10 -maybe 15 PPM, but the bells have to be filled frequently. Mine emptied out in 4 to 6 hours and it became a daily (or 2-3x daily if I was home) chore. If you have a tank and a regulator, you're 90% the way to pressurized though, and there's really no comparison.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ahh, very cool, what do you need to get that passive setup? i'd like to try it out. maybe you could share what you bought to get it working if it isn't to much trouble.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 03:55 PM
snails are your friend

It really takes almost nothing but a can of gas with a regulator on it, a plastic bottle (which will become brittle and break; these have to be replaced) and a length of CO2 resistant tubing. The guy in the video had a hook built which would have been handy to keep hands out of the water.
I held mine on with a Mag Float:

Here's a view in the tank:

My feeling on it is that it's much better than nothing, but adds another frequent "chore" to your maintenance. There were plenty of days I was driving to work and remembered I had failed to fill it. I don't know that passive could even be configured to give you 30 PPM levels safely (without risk of going too high). It worked much better for me than DIY did, but I eventually set that gas can up to a controller and never looked back.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh, i was more interested in what kind of a regulator i would need to do this. i'm not that familiar with this stuff so i wanted to get some stuff that works.

currently, i did a diy yeast and sugar co2 generator to see how co2 would affect the tank. just looking up on how to get off that eventually.

Bump: yeah, i figure you can probably add a few more bottles possibly to get a higher passive concentration. i just like to experiment lol, a time waster i guess. the process for me is just as fun as the results. i have to see how you measure co2 concentration as well. still new at this planted stuff.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 04:35 PM
snails are your friend

https://barrreport.com/threads/co2-ph-kh-table.10717/ This is a good rough estimate of how much CO2 you have by comparing KH and pH.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode