Submersible Pump/Agitator for WC Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Submersible Pump/Agitator for WC Water

Curious what people are using to mix their water change water while it sits in the drum. I cut my tap water with 50% RO, fill up a 30 gallon drum, bring up the gH and kH where it needs to be, then throw a heater in to bring it up to temp the day before the water change. I'd like to keep the water churning over the 24 hours. I've tried a couple different powerheads and pumps but they aren't powerful enough to do much. I can see powder (Seachem Equilibrium and Sodium Bicarbonate) collecting on the bottom, which shows it isn't mixing adequately. Should I try a larger more powerful powerhead? Do they make submersible mixers/agitators that would chop up the heater and power cord? Or maybe one of those wavemaker style powerheads would be sufficient. I'm only mixing 20 gallons at a time max.

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Iíd get a pump thatís powerful enough to pump water from barrel to tank for refill through a hose. Use that same pump for water circulation in barrel. If you put a J hook on end of hose for tank refills when done doing that you can just hook that J over edge of barrel and turn it back on to criculate water in barrel. A valve right before J hook is best way to control flow rate.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That's what I'm using now (a submersible pump with hose) but it isn't powerful enough to churn/stir the water substantially. I am seeing some powder collect at the bottom and have to manually stir it.

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Canít imagine any pump over 100gph not being enough to keep a 30g barrel stirred up. Maybe itís direction of pump output. You want to position/direct output so it starts water rotating in drum, that size drum even a 100gph pump should get it moving pretty fast. As with most things flow related itís as much about direction and purpose as it is GPH.

What pump do you have?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Canít imagine any pump over 100gph not being enough to keep a 30g barrel stirred up. Maybe itís direction of pump output. You want to position/direct output so it starts water rotating in drum, that size drum even a 100gph pump should get it moving pretty fast. As with most things flow related itís as much about direction and purpose as it is GPH.

What pump do you have?

I have the Songlong SL-403B, which is rated at 400 gph. I'm sure it's enough for circulating the water, but evidently it is not enough to keep powders suspended. I went ahead and bought sump pump style pump and ordered some fittings and a flow valve for it. Should definitely be able to churn the water up and keep the powder suspended so it can mix thoroughly.
https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pump-91250-Submersible-Thermoplastic/dp/B000X05G1A/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=sump+pump&qid=1587654 819&sr=8-5

Last edited by mossman77; 04-23-2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Updated post

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode