Non-contact Thermometer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Non-contact Thermometer

If our governor does not extend the current stay at home order, will be going back to work the beginning of May. Will need to remotely take temperatures of employees before they enter the building. Thought this might be a great time to invest in (read "expense") a non-contact thermometer for aquarium use. Any of y'all use such and could suggest one? Am interested even if it does not have the range for human temps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

They suck for humans. In order to take a humans temporal temperature you need to detect the temperature over the vein/artery. If your detection is another part of the body like say 1 cm away, then your temperature will be degrees off.

They sell themometers for babies that are supposed to be contact free but they have the same problem.

When going to the doctors office a few days ago for my kids 1 year old checkup a nurse came out to the lobby with a mask and gloves and used a temporal thermometer with a long metal probe on it. I've seen same/similar used at the hospital in previous visits. Searches on amazon doesn't even turn it up. The probe being metal is cleaned with a swab after each use. So no idea where to get it. If you are serious about getting a good temperature you need something like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hey mh - good to know re the above. Thanks. Of course the ones I've seen advertised don't mention such.

But let's forget about the human use aspect (unless you are an IRS bot). I've seen ones used on fish tanks in youtube videos. Anyone with experience with those?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 06:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooldazed View Post
But let's forget about the human use aspect (unless you are an IRS bot). I've seen ones used on fish tanks in youtube videos. Anyone with experience with those?
I own this one, the Etekcity 1080, and it lands within a degree or two of what my mercury tube and LCD tank thermometers say. Good enough for ballpark figures... Def not for people, it says I'm 82 degrees. Fun gadget though! I had a blast shooting stuff around the house when I first got it

Edit: looks like the 1080 is discontinued, newer models are 774 or 749? Seems like the same specs and price. Looking back at my purchase history I paid $13.99 for it in 2016

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Last edited by KayakJimW; 04-22-2020 at 06:16 PM. Reason: to edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode