• 2 Post By Charrr89
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
diagnosing fluval canisters 104, 306, and 407

they all sound like they work, and ive cleaned the impeller area and wiped it down, i stopped using them for a while maybe a year at most since i took a huge break from the hobby.

filled them up to test, all i hear is a rattling sound, prime doesnt sound like its priming and i fill it all the way with water to let all the air escape and still no luck... i dont really wanna just get rid of them they werent cheap...

of course im only running my eheim ecco pro right now but i wanted to switch to the 406 on my planted tank and move the eheim to my axolotl tank...

would love any advice. im not exactly sure what more to check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex member #14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Did you try cleaning the impeller rod? There might be grit stuck between the impeller body and the rod that can cause rattle noises.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Try putting some pure silicone grease or vasaline on the impeller shaft . Do any O rings too . I use silicone I get from a local dive shop .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I took everything apart but yeah I may have to source some Vaseline during this time itís not that easy

But I scrubbed and I was crazy to try some equipment lubrication bad idea but I was pretty desperate to try ._.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex member #14
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
If your in hawaii would think getting some silicone would be easy. Dont recommend Vaseline use the silicone as recommended above.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

diagnosing fluval canisters 104, 306, and 407

Getting anything here is ridiculous from long lines to stores being closed I also live out country side so it sucks even more for me

Finnex member #14
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
A couple of years ago, I had the same problem w/ one of my Ehiem classics. I replaced the bushings, shaft & impeller which solved the problem. Good luck.

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
A couple of years ago, I had the same problem w/ one of my Ehiem classics. I replaced the bushings, shaft & impeller which solved the problem. Good luck.

Hey Larry! I guess Iíll google all that fun stuff and figure out how to get the chemical scent out of the filters ._.

Iím more used to eheim then fluvals.

Finnex member #14
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ordered some maintenance supplies.. weíll see if thatís all it needed.

Finnex member #14
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
Ordered some maintenance supplies.. weíll see if thatís all it needed.

Got it to work.. just needed to replace some parts and do a full cleaning

deeda and BeastMaster like this.

Finnex member #14
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Bad advise to use Vasoline as that is a brand and doesn't fully cover what you need to use. You want to use petroleum jelly which is what Vasoline is but with the extra of flavor or scent which is NOT what we need. Petroleum jelly WITHOUT ADDED SCENT, etc is recommended by Eheim and works great as a very simple, cheap and easy item to keep on hand. Menthol is not a good thing for tanks.
Where many get confused is the name having petroleum in it, but if you thing about it a bit, plastic is also a petroleum product!
Rather than an impeller problem, I would have guessing it was a priming problem, so a question about how it was done might lead to the correct answer. Was the priming done per the manual or was it just kind of from memory, etc?
Sounds like the wrong routine was done on priming to clear air from around the impeller and impellers will not pump air but simply set there and rattle!
This is a game where small details, ignored, can lead to big trouble.
Charrr89 likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thank you i actually googled silicone grease and then realized its a plumbers item and i ended up making an online order with home depot so that i didnt have to stand in line and go hunting around for it. i was a little skeptical about the vaseline also, and it really is hard to find petroleum and vaseline at the time i guess because of the entire covid-19 situation... but now im excited to be rebuilding my filters rather than tossing them !

Finnex member #14
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The Wal-mart "Equate" brand has been my fav for a long time. I got a small tub back like five years ago as it takes so little to make just a light sheen of film on things but I use it on almost anything that we call "
rubber. Rubber has become a really scarce thing since WWII and most are not actually rubber any more but a combo of various plastic types. The nice thing about the jelly is that it doesn't dissolve in water so we can put it on all those little things like O-rings and the moving parts like the levers and ball joints of filters and not worry about it getting into the tank like a lot of lubes might.
The thing we often see is that we fail to lube something until it breaks. We know to change the oil and get a grease job on the car but forget it on our tank stuff! A $2 tub of lube can make that $14 valve on Eheims last a bunch longer. Just be sure to get the pure stuff without scents or added.
Charrr89 likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Bad advise to use Vasoline as that is a brand and doesn't fully cover what you need to use. You want to use petroleum jelly which is what Vasoline is but with the extra of flavor or scent which is NOT what we need. Petroleum jelly WITHOUT ADDED SCENT, etc is recommended by Eheim and works great as a very simple, cheap and easy item to keep on hand. Menthol is not a good thing for tanks.
Where many get confused is the name having petroleum in it, but if you thing about it a bit, plastic is also a petroleum product!
Rather than an impeller problem, I would have guessing it was a priming problem, so a question about how it was done might lead to the correct answer. Was the priming done per the manual or was it just kind of from memory, etc?
Sounds like the wrong routine was done on priming to clear air from around the impeller and impellers will not pump air but simply set there and rattle!
This is a game where small details, ignored, can lead to big trouble.

I actually greased up everything I could. Assuming my impeller might have been worn everything is pretty old. And also the gasket for priming was also cracked! That little rubber o-ring... so Iím gonna probably search for another one... I simply put it back in nicely and greased it up ordered a tuneup kit for the impeller and it came with a gasket and a new cover. It didnít work for a while, but Thatís when I realized the primer wasnít vacuuming anything so h kept pumping and adding water to the in flow till it was overflowing and started forcing a prime... and it eventually worked. But I did notice the flow going up and down, so Iím gonna put more effort when I find some pipes for it seems like itís hard to find simple plastic ones if you donít want to use oem.

Finnex member #14

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode