Will this remove my CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JCole2014

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I currently have an inline CO2 diffuser.

I'm planning to buy a Marina Hang on back Breeding Box to use as an aquaponics holder, as well as placing my filter input into the box. (You can see the box here: https://youtu.be/tAFfXKrmJtU )

So from the filter (with CO2) it will enter the hang on back breeding box, go through some plants I'll have in there then overflow from that into the main tank.

The reasons I'm doing this is because I want to grow some herbs in the box using aquarium water, but also to remove my filter output from the tank and reduce the flow by having it go through the breeder box and then into the tank. I'm my mind, it'll work almost like a spray bar where the flow is dispersed along a wider area.

Anyway, the main question is this: how will that affect the CO2 in the water?

I know some may be lost when it spills over into the tank, but I'm worried about the emersed plants as well.

What do you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 06:31 PM
Algae Grower

Check out this review
. i think you might want to re-think your plans. first of all, forget about putting your filter intake into the box. second, the overflow area is less than 1/4 the total length of the breeder, so you wouldn't be getting a spray bar effect. third, overflow output is straight down and above water surface, not the best for co2 distribution and retention, respectively (injected co2 loss for emersed growth is a non-issue). and if you do use the air driven input, the noise is off-putting to say the least. might as well use a hob filter for your herbs, rig-up some kind of refugium, or split your return, diverting a fraction of the flow to the breeder.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good points.

It wouldn't use the air pump or tube as my canister filter output would be placed inside this breeding box. Regarding the flow, I think it would be so much that it would use the "emergency overflow" which is basically the rest of the length, so it would end up being 10" of overflow.

I love the idea of splitting the return. I think that's a fantastic idea and I could even have a ball valve cutoff on the hang on back portion to shut it off if I need to.

The bigger concern is the CO2 getting out during the spillover process, but with a high enough water level it shouldn't be too bad?

Cheap enough, I think I'll give it a try! I just have $10 shipping to lose out on if I need to return it.
doug105! likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 05:48 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCole2014 View Post
Good points.
The bigger concern is the CO2 getting out during the spillover process, but with a high enough water level it shouldn't be too bad?

Cheap enough, I think I'll give it a try! I just have $10 shipping to lose out on if I need to return it.
seems to me that some of water would also spillover the back and sides of the breeder. so you need another filter outlet to your tank, like a lily pipe. split the return and feed the breeder only as much as it can handle through it's spillover. co2 loss will be less and more will end up in your tank via the lily pipe.

good luck.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode