• 1 Post By Jeff5614
  • 1 Post By Matthew RJ
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eheim Pro 3 Replacement Parts

I have a pro 3, 2071 and had trouble during my last cleaning. The handle on part 742871 broke, and it wasn't making a tight fit or clicking when I inserted it into the canister.

I see Eheim sells the replacement part https://eheimsupport.com/eheim-compl...8-7428718.html, but before I order, I want to make sure that replacing that broken piece solves the problem.

Is the rest of the canister OK, or was the adapter not fitting right because of something wrong with the canister.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
The problem is just with the adapter. I've replaced them numerous times on my two Eheims and find it easier to go ahead and replace them when it starts getting a bit stiff when closing the valves instead of having it break and then need to take the head apart. Big Al's usually has the best price.
OVT and Matthew RJ like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks. I'm in Canada and my local Big Al's said that's a special order part, could take time to get here, and will cost around $100. I saw on Eheim's site I can order it (with shipping to Canada) for $40 USD.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 12:34 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post

Thank you! Makes me wonder what was wrong with my local store that they wouldn't order it in for me!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
But BEFORE replacing the part, it pays well to ask WHY it broke! One of the big things about anything we do needs to be avoiding trouble when we can, so why does this handle break?
What makes something move versus hard to move? Lube it!
If you have one of these great filters, don't just go with the narrow minded idea that a part like this breaks. Do something as simple as smearing a Q-tip of petroleum jelly on all the surfaces to make them slick and move easy! While there smear a wet finer of jelly on all the other parts that need to move easy like the O-rings on fittings, to make them stay flexible and slide in and out of the mating fitting without grinding their life away on dry parts!
As for the argument that it is petroleum? Go back to sleep as it's a really old subject and you may have missed out. Plastic is also a petroleum product and millions of people use both it and jelly. Just get the cheap, no flavor, no scent stuff and keep it handy.
Matthew RJ and Immortal1 like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
But BEFORE replacing the part, it pays well to ask WHY it broke! One of the big things about anything we do needs to be avoiding trouble when we can, so why does this handle break?
What makes something move versus hard to move? Lube it!
If you have one of these great filters, don't just go with the narrow minded idea that a part like this breaks. Do something as simple as smearing a Q-tip of petroleum jelly on all the surfaces to make them slick and move easy! While there smear a wet finer of jelly on all the other parts that need to move easy like the O-rings on fittings, to make them stay flexible and slide in and out of the mating fitting without grinding their life away on dry parts!
As for the argument that it is petroleum? Go back to sleep as it's a really old subject and you may have missed out. Plastic is also a petroleum product and millions of people use both it and jelly. Just get the cheap, no flavor, no scent stuff and keep it handy.
FWIW, I will add that I do lube them with each filter cleaning ( monthly ), but over time the inevitable still happens.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew RJ View Post
Thanks. I'm in Canada and my local Big Al's said that's a special order part, could take time to get here, and will cost around $100. I saw on Eheim's site I can order it (with shipping to Canada) for $40 USD.
I would consider replacing the filter before spending $100 for the part. It's
$16 US from Big Al's.
Matthew RJ likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks everyone. the filter is back up and running. Never had to replace that part before, so it was a bit of a panic thinking the whole filter was shot.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 10:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Did you already replace the part?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Did you already replace the part?

Yes, my local Big Al's did in fact carry the piece, and even had it in stock. They did curb side pick up. replacing it was no problem, and the piece fit as it should.
deeda likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 11:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Excellent and glad to hear you got it quick and the filter works!

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

When lubing this part it is sometimes easy to miss some on the details and one of those is to get some of the lube down inside on the ball of the balljoints as that is where lots of the rub comes in. I just use the end of the Q-tip as I move the ball back and forth until it gets easy to move it.
Jeff5614 likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 10:55 PM

It's not the fastest source, but the lowest price I've found for these is Ebay seller rainbowoik in the UK. It looks like I can't post an Ebay link, but if you search for "Eheim 7428718" you'll find it.

That tap connector and ejection mechanism is the weak link on the Eheim Pro series. Consider yourself lucky if, when it does break (and it will break), it doesn't break with the valve closed, stuck in the head.

Last edited by euphxenos; 04-22-2020 at 10:57 PM. Reason: I guess I can't post a link to Ebay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode