GLA Reactor, any one used it? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
GLA Reactor, any one used it?

I just noticed GLA has two reactors now (12/16mm and 16/22mm tubing). An y one have any experience with them?

I am currently using a GLA inline atomic diffuser with my old GLA nano V2 Paintball regulator and was wondering if the reactor is better:

https://greenleafaquariums.com/produ...r-12-16mm.html

https://greenleafaquariums.com/produ...r-16-22mm.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Pretty sure the consensus is that reactors are generally better as they provide higher rate of CO2 being disolved into the water. This is shown by the need to reduce the bubble count to maintain the same color of your drop checker or pH drop of your tank water. It also greatly reduces or eliminates bubbles in the tank but that's subjective as some people do like the bubbles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 05:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I swapped out my GLA diffuser for a Sera Flore reactor and it did eliminate the bubbles. Having said that, the SF reactor is not the greatest quality. If GLA makes one it's probably better. Some people claim the reactors result in lower Co2 usage due to better dissolution but I didn't notice much difference. The nice thing about the reactors is they work under lower pressure and they don't require much cleaning. I'm running about 200 gph though mine. If I run it much higher it starts making some noise. If I had it in a cabinet it probably wouldn't bother me. In either case I would recommend a spray bar if you don't have one.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 11:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvvkumar View Post
I am currently using a GLA inline atomic diffuser with my old GLA nano V2 Paintball regulator and was wondering if the reactor is better:
There is no better in co2 dissoluton, only preference. They all work, just look at successful tanks using each method. Efficiency stands for very little with co2.
zemnar and Econde like this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 02:21 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I use the 2nd model you have shown on two tanks, though have only been set up with those since January 1st. I've been pretty happy with them, though there were tons of bubbles the first couple of weeks. I haven't changed a thing yet see way fewer now, almost none expect when CO2 initially kicks on. It still seems to drop pH about as fast and no noticeable difference in how much the controller seems to turn off and on.
Econde likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Pretty sure the consensus is that reactors are generally better as they provide higher rate of CO2 being disolved into the water. This is shown by the need to reduce the bubble count to maintain the same color of your drop checker or pH drop of your tank water. It also greatly reduces or eliminates bubbles in the tank but that's subjective as some people do like the bubbles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvvkumar View Post
I just noticed GLA has two reactors now (12/16mm and 16/22mm tubing). An y one have any experience with them?

https://greenleafaquariums.com/produ...r-12-16mm.html

https://greenleafaquariums.com/produ...r-16-22mm.html
Yeah I wanted to see if someone used this reactor and how it compares Vs. a Gregg's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmixguy View Post
I swapped out my GLA diffuser for a Sera Flore reactor and it did eliminate the bubbles. Having said that, the SF reactor is not the greatest quality. If GLA makes one it's probably better. Some people claim the reactors result in lower Co2 usage due to better dissolution but I didn't notice much difference. The nice thing about the reactors is they work under lower pressure and they don't require much cleaning. I'm running about 200 gph though mine. If I run it much higher it starts making some noise. If I had it in a cabinet it probably wouldn't bother me. In either case I would recommend a spray bar if you don't have one.
This would go to an Ehein 2215 and a 20 long tank so 200g/h sounds about right for my set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
There is no better in co2 dissoluton, only preference. They all work, just look at successful tanks using each method. Efficiency stands for very little with co2.
My current GLA in line works pretty well for being almost 6 years old. I don't really need to change to a reactor but the in line diffuser some times does produce micro bubbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I use the 2nd model you have shown on two tanks, though have only been set up with those since January 1st. I've been pretty happy with them, though there were tons of bubbles the first couple of weeks. I haven't changed a thing yet see way fewer now, almost none expect when CO2 initially kicks on. It still seems to drop pH about as fast and no noticeable difference in how much the controller seems to turn off and on.
Thank you! That is encouraging.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 11:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have two. Pretty happy with them overall as I am not a fan of the soda fizz look that inline and in tank diffusers give you. Only complaint is that I think they should come with instructions more than the IKEA like drawing supplied. This is my main complaint of GLA stuff. They just assume people will know how this stuff all works I guess?

I can say is that when filling with water it is very noisy but it gradually completely fills (over night for me) and then is perfectly silent. You will not even know it is there. With my second one I tried to skip this noise by filling it up with water from the start but then I found that it was impossible to get the filter to prime so dumped the water out and then it worked perfectly.

Here is video of one of mine as it was filling with water:

zemnar likes this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 02:59 AM
Algae Grower

I've got the 16/22 version. This is my first reactor, I have not previous experience with them, but it seems to be doing the job. Anyone that owns one of these care the tell me what the metal knob on the co2 input of the reactor is? Should I leave it all the way unscrewed? And yea, filling is a bit loud, but it only takes a day or two to completely fill. My wife was sad cause she liked the noise and then when we woke up the noise was gone.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 06:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulstormTX View Post
I've got the 16/22 version. This is my first reactor, I have not previous experience with them, but it seems to be doing the job. Anyone that owns one of these care the tell me what the metal knob on the co2 input of the reactor is? Should I leave it all the way unscrewed? And yea, filling is a bit loud, but it only takes a day or two to completely fill. My wife was sad cause she liked the noise and then when we woke up the noise was gone.
I bought 1 recently, and asked GLA, this is their explanation for that knob

"Itís your on/off valve where you connect your co2 tubing. During operation you leave open. During maintenance you close it so you can remove tubing. Otherwise consider it a nice tubing connection. Most just leave open full time and never mess with it."
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 06:39 PM
Algae Grower

Following. I am new to the C02 game and I am starting to look at different methods of C02 distribution. I am currently using a Jardli, in tank glass diffuser with great results, but I would like to see how long my 5lb lasts with the current method.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've been using the Ista turbo. The one with the water driven impeller(smashes co2 bubbles). So far so good and no noticeable bubbles leave the filter output. I do have one of them cheapo canister filter from sunsun, the one with the pump on the outside. It didn't have enough flow to keep up with the amount of co2 pumped into the reactor. Since then, I've removed the impeller in the original pump and added a 370gph in-line pump right after the original pump(but before the reactor). Now it's working like a charm. Aside from looking like some Frankenstein filter.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 07:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

To the people running this reactor: What GPH or filter are you running the reactor with? Did this reactor cause any significant deterioration in flow rate? Did you notice an increase in efficiency as in less co2 needing to be injected to achieve the same results?

|
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
To the people running this reactor: What GPH or filter are you running the reactor with? Did this reactor cause any significant deterioration in flow rate? Did you notice an increase in efficiency as in less co2 needing to be injected to achieve the same results?
My filter sucks. It's rated for 106 GPH and could not keep up. My reactor is rated for something like 165GPH-270gph or something like that. I run my in-line water pump at max 370gph with the reactor. Lot's of flow coming out still.

I went from about 6 bps down to 4. Coming from a fluval ceramic diffuser to the Ista in-line reactor. Even with roughly 2BPS down, I know that the dissolution is much greater than the diffuser.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Last edited by Econde; 09-11-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: reason
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

How loud is the reactor compared to the inline diffusers? I'd like an inline but if they're not silent I'll be getting the reactor. I just hate the idea of losing flow.

FN33
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 03:29 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnovice33 View Post
How loud is the reactor compared to the inline diffusers? I'd like an inline but if they're not silent I'll be getting the reactor. I just hate the idea of losing flow.
Anyone?

FN33

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode