Do I need a mat under my second hand tank? New to hobby. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By EdWiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Do I need a mat under my second hand tank? New to hobby.

This is my aquarium. It's 122cm (4 foot) external width. ~200L

This is the stand I've built.

Will I need a mat or styrofoam or something underneath the aquarium glass? Or will it be fine on the plywood?

The bottom glass is level with the sides at the corners but seems to be bowing out in the middle.

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A rimless tank always needs a mat.
Without the plastic rim the glass can move. Causing a leak. The mat keeps the tank level.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 08:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hello and welcome!

Long and short is that yes, you will need a yoga mat or Styrofoam under any tank that doesn't have a rim, yours included.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks. I wasn't exactly sure if it was rimless or not because it has the glass around the top where the glass lid sits and I didn't know if that counted
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
A rim would be the big plastic pieces at the top. The extra glass you are referring to is a eurobrace. The plastic rims serve the same purpose on the top, but it is the bottom that is in question here.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Definitely need a mat for a rimless tank.

Rethink your stand. The corners and edges of the tank base need to be supported to the floor. With 5-20 gallons you can get away with it but you've got a lovely large tank. Tank, mat, wood all need to be matching size then the legs directly under the corners and a frame under the wood connecting to the legs. Google DIY stands Template Reef Central for way too much wordage on the subject.

Go ahead and use the cinder blocks as legs but add a frame of 2x4" lumber to the tank footprint sized wood. 2x4" is strong enough used on end for the span and you won't lose your space for equipment underneath.

Since the glass is bowing out a little you might want to google how much deflection is normal and fine. Since this is a used tank examine the silicone between the glass looking for bubbles. Bubbles can mean the silicone is starting to fail and it could be a good idea to take the tank apart and redo the seams. I built a 9 gallon tank with glass thick enough for a 75 gallon tank. There are bubbles and even algae growing in the space between glass in one spot but no deflection and tank didn't fail. I hope it's fine, I cleaned silicone off 12-14" former seams and it was a horrible job.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post

Rethink your stand... Google DIY stands Template Reef Central...
That is a great resource, certainly information overload haha.

The besser blocks are 10mm wider than the tank so should fully sit under the corners if I move them a bit wider.

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode