Help with Drilling 21 Long for Overflow and Return (and Flow Optimization) - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By AcidGambit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with Drilling 21 Long for Overflow and Return (and Flow Optimization)

Hello, everyone. I am planning to drill my UNS 90L for an overflow and returns. The tank dimensions are 35.43 x 11.81 x 11.81 inches. The overflow I am looking at is the eshopps eclipse S or similar units from other companies:

https://www.eshopps.com/overflowboxes/eclipse-s

Regardless of the model I choose, the overflows I am considering are small enough that they can fit on one of the side walls or the back wall. First question, would it be better for flow purposes to have the overflow mounted in the middle of the back (long) wall or one of the side walls? This is going to be an African Cichlid with large rock structures in the middle of the tank (to the extent it matters).

Second question, where and how many returns should I plan for? I'd rather take care of my flow needs with returns than having to have a powerhead in the tank.

Thank you for your input!

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 05:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Love the slim overflow

I would probably do it in the middle of the back wall and have 2 returns on either side.
You mentioned the rocks will be stacked in the middle so you could have all the plumbing hiding behind there

The tank is not super tall or wide so I don't think flow will be a major issue if you get a strong enough pump.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Agree, middle and put 2 water returns, one in each top corner of back wall angled about 5-7į towards center so it sets up 2 rotating currents in tank that collide in middle and sweep current back to overflow in the middle.

When water jets hit the front glass at a angle flow will spread out, starting water rotating around in tank but also creating a down-swell along front glass that will give you good high-low circulation and gas exchange.
Immortal1 likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Agree, middle and put 2 water returns, one in each top corner of back wall angled about 5-7į towards center so it sets up 2 rotating currents in tank that collide in middle and sweep current back to overflow in the middle.
Do you see any issue if the peak of my rocks are centered in the tank? Will they create a dead spot for detritus to settle?

My Tank Journal:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
Do you see any issue if the peak of my rocks are centered in the tank? Will they create a dead spot for detritus to settle?
Kind of depends on shape of rock, big flat vertical face, sure it will slow water down. Gradually inclined towards back wall the current and debris will sweep right up that incline to overflows input.

Is this a sump powered tank and how many GPH are you planning? Even at 15x turnover rate your still only talking about 300gph.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I do plan to use a sump--I'm pretty excited for it, frankly. I'm not sure about the turnover rate yet, but I'm planning to be in the 10-15x range.

My Tank Journal:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
I do plan to use a sump--I'm pretty excited for it, frankly. I'm not sure about the turnover rate yet, but I'm planning to be in the 10-15x range.
Well thatís thing with top only overflows, they only pull from top of tank where only small particulate matter will reach it. All bigger stuff will settle somewhere below itís intake area, it unavoidable. But you just clean that up at water changes, just make sure you have space behind those rock to get siphon in to clean. Youíll find most of your large particulates will settle in along back wall somewhere or in areas where rocks impeded circulation patterns.

Now if your willing to put in multiple return jets (3-4) you can set it up so there are no dead areas for debris to settle into but Iíve found over years most people will opt for fewer returns for aesthetic reason and simply do the cleanup on water changes. The siphoning etc is really one of the therapeutic easy parts in a unplanted/sparsely planted tank that most people find relaxing.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Well thatís thing with top only overflows, they only pull from top of tank where only small particulate matter will reach it. All bigger stuff will settle somewhere below itís intake area, it unavoidable. But you just clean that up at water changes, just make sure you have space behind those rock to get siphon in to clean. Youíll find most of your large particulates will settle in along back wall somewhere or in areas where rocks impeded circulation patterns.

Now if your willing to put in multiple return jets (3-4) you can set it up so there are no dead areas for debris to settle into but Iíve found over years most people will opt for fewer returns for aesthetic reason and simply do the cleanup on water changes. The siphoning etc is really one of the therapeutic easy parts in a unplanted/sparsely planted tank that most people find relaxing.
Thank you, that makes sense. I like the idea of having the skimming effect without having a big skimmer sitting in my tank. I also look forward to not having to clean lily pipes!

My Tank Journal:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tank drilling went pretty well. I need to clean the tank more before I paint the back and think about connecting the bulkheads.

deeda likes this.

My Tank Journal:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 01:21 AM
GLP
Algae Grower

Nice work! Your holes look cleaner than the ones they drilled for me at the local aquarium shop.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode