• 4 Post By Triport
  • 1 Post By DigityDog70
  • 1 Post By MrMagoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do you have a fish room - area?

If so, how many tanks do you have and what have you done to protect the room and walls with regard to humidity, temperature control and air flow?

Do you run any backup UPS batteries?

One of the things that I'm concerned with is, what if I leave for a week and the power goes out and one of my filters doesn't manage to re-prime itself? I'm very seriously considering something that will provide at least 15 mins. of electricity to protect my tanks.

Have you painted the walls with extra primer and or a certain type of paint?.

I'm likely going to have about 400 gallons of aquarium space spread across 7-8 tanks with the largest tank being 180 gals. (once I get my 180 up and running) with the smallest being 20 gals.

For the sake of "Before and After", this is what my so-called fish room looks like now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1baO...NJwjRF0_B/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ppi...zX6ve-hC6/view

Hopefully very soon, 'life' and COVID-19 permitting, I will have some cool/fun "After" pics.

Cheers everyone,

Fish Room Bum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DigityDog70; 04-16-2020 at 04:13 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

Bump!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 11:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would not use a filter that can not self prime on any tank that you feel particularly attached to. I assume we are talking about HOB filters?

I don't have a fish room.. just a corner of my basement that has 2 tanks running plus a holding container... calling the last a tank is stretching it a bit. Its a sterlite storage tote. Its been running with a canister filter for the past few weeks because I am about to take down my 40 gallon and redo it completely over the course of days/weeks and I need a place to put the livestock. Once done the sterlite gets drained and stacked up.

Upstairs I have 2 more tanks but both are small. Down the road I plan on having a 120 gallon tank upstairs as well. I am not concerned about humidity etc. I do have a charcoal industrial air filter given to me by my father but I haven't set it up simply because it hasn't been needed yet. The smell from my tanks is so minimal that unless you are literally sticking your nose inches from the waters surface you can't notice anything. I keep up on water changes which I am sure helps with this.

On youtube I have seen other folks running dehumidifiers and keeping lids on tanks to cut down on evaporation. Sorry I wasn't more help.
DigityDog70 likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 12:40 PM
Algae Grower

My fish room is in the basement. The original owners did an extensive remodel and added a section on the back of the house with an exposed aggregate floor. One room is a family room the other for a hot tub. The hot tub room is my fish room. The walls are green board and tile.

https://youtu.be/QceKyTYGEGQ

The harbinger of doom to the wicked but the fragrance of life for the hopeless. Napalm
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 05:52 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have 12 planted tanks currently, 5 at home and 7 at work. Maintenance would be much easier if I put them all on one wall (well, two are 125 gallons so easier said than done) or at least in one room but I like to see them in various spaces I spend my time. I can tell you that a lot of aquariums will skyrocket your humidity. I had 130ish tanks in my store when I sold fish and almost all had tops. I still emptied out dehumidifiers 2-3 times daily. Good air flow is a must. If I were starting a fish room from scratch I'd use green board or other moisture resistant drywall -or even cement board.
DigityDog70 likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yes I have a downstairs sort of den/family room. The house was built in 1970 and there used to be a very 70s wet bar with a frosted glass mirror and other 70s tackiness an an old brick fireplace. I had the fireplace covered up and bar ripped out and electrical upgraded in one half of the room. Wish I'd had the electrical done on the other half too because there are some issues now but I'll get it done eventually. Didn't do anything special with paint or worrying about humidity as the room is large and open and my tanks are all covered so humidity isn't bad. I highly recommend some sort of ventilation fans or something if you have open top tanks. Unless you live somewhere warm enough that you can keep a window cracked open year round. I did replace the old vinyl flooring with LVP that is supposedly water resistant. I don't have backup generators or power which is unfortunate as I live in CA so we are at risk of having our electric turned off in "fire season" but the area I live in this is not likely to be as common as central valley and northern or southern CA high density areas. I would love to do solar with batteries in the future if money becomes available.

My "fish room" is perfect because it is on the ground floor, has easy access to the utility room where I have RO set up, has plenty of storage space for equipment (multiple closets etc.), sliding door access to outdoors where I can easily dump water from water changes, an office area/laundry room around the corner with room for my quarantine tanks so they are easily accessible but not visible to the nice display tank area. I would like to do a huge storage tank outside where I can pump all my water change water to save for garden use but don't have the funds now (and don't have my outdoor gardens set up yet either...house was a fixer upper so little by little as I can afford it). But when choosing where to have your tanks in your house convenience of care and having them in a place where you will see and enjoy them should be prime concerns. Luckily I have both with this house.

View of my 120 and 2 45 gallon tanks with a 100 gallon on the left side of the room and room for a future 180 between these 3 tanks in the shot.

120, 46, and 45 gallon aquariums by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy1978 View Post
My fish room is in the basement. The original owners did an extensive remodel and added a section on the back of the house with an exposed aggregate floor. One room is a family room the other for a hot tub. The hot tub room is my fish room. The walls are green board and tile.

https://youtu.be/QceKyTYGEGQ
I think I got a minor crik in my neck watching that video, otherwise, you have some beautiful tanks, thanks for sharing. That's what I call a Fish Room! Really nice selection of fish, clean tanks and organized.

If I didn't know any better I'd say you know what you're doing!

Fish Room Bum

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
Yes I have a downstairs sort of den/family room. The house was built in 1970 and there used to be a very 70s wet bar with a frosted glass mirror and other 70s tackiness an an old brick fireplace. I had the fireplace covered up and bar ripped out and electrical upgraded in one half of the room. Wish I'd had the electrical done on the other half too because there are some issues now but I'll get it done eventually. Didn't do anything special with paint or worrying about humidity as the room is large and open and my tanks are all covered so humidity isn't bad. I highly recommend some sort of ventilation fans or something if you have open top tanks. Unless you live somewhere warm enough that you can keep a window cracked open year round. I did replace the old vinyl flooring with LVP that is supposedly water resistant. I don't have backup generators or power which is unfortunate as I live in CA so we are at risk of having our electric turned off in "fire season" but the area I live in this is not likely to be as common as central valley and northern or southern CA high density areas. I would love to do solar with batteries in the future if money becomes available.

My "fish room" is perfect because it is on the ground floor, has easy access to the utility room where I have RO set up, has plenty of storage space for equipment (multiple closets etc.), sliding door access to outdoors where I can easily dump water from water changes, an office area/laundry room around the corner with room for my quarantine tanks so they are easily accessible but not visible to the nice display tank area. I would like to do a huge storage tank outside where I can pump all my water change water to save for garden use but don't have the funds now (and don't have my outdoor gardens set up yet either...house was a fixer upper so little by little as I can afford it). But when choosing where to have your tanks in your house convenience of care and having them in a place where you will see and enjoy them should be prime concerns. Luckily I have both with this house.

View of my 120 and 2 45 gallon tanks with a 100 gallon on the left side of the room and room for a future 180 between these 3 tanks in the shot.

120, 46, and 45 gallon aquariums by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr
This Fish Room is nearly a Fish Gallery, thanks for chiming in. It's a pleasure to see setups like this. You have enough room where you're able to keep a variety if you choose and it's all in one room, which for me is "ideal". I'm trying to focus on using as few resources as possible, e.g. larger air pump, fewer outlets required, strategically place my RO water so that it's near or 'in' the fish room like yours. I may even use a "large light" to light up several tanks? I hear you with the water change water. I have some lines now running around the property, some for the plants, the wastewater from the RO goes directly into my pool now (it's not a ton, but it's enough to make a difference). Those floors look "sweet"!

Fish Room Bum
Triport likes this.

Last edited by DigityDog70; 04-25-2020 at 06:19 PM. Reason: .
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigityDog70 View Post
I think I got a minor crik in my neck watching that video, otherwise, you have some beautiful tanks, thanks for sharing. That's what I call a Fish Room! Really nice selection of fish, clean tanks and organized.

If I didn't know any better I'd say you know what you're doing!

Fish Room Bum
Thanks,
Not sure why this video posted the way it did and others I have done posted correctly.

The harbinger of doom to the wicked but the fragrance of life for the hopeless. Napalm
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 02:19 AM
Algae Grower

I have 25+ tanks in my basement. It’s sectioned off with my utilities (HVAC, water heater etc). the base of the walls are all waterproof. The floor is acid stained concrete and slopes toward the drain used by above utilities in case a tank busts there’s no water damage. Mostly 40B, 20L, 20H and 10gal. All for raising plants, shrimp of various types and rabbit snails. They’re all running on Linear Piston air pumps. I run 2 smaller in case of a failure of one at least I have something and not relying on one big unit to power everything. I also have an all home generator that runs on natural gas in the even of a power failure. The room stays between 68-72F so only the tanks with rabbit snails and Sulawesi shrimp are heated to 82F. I need to add some TV’s to the walls. And maybe a fridge for some cold beers. 😁
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagoo View Post
I have 25+ tanks in my basement. Its sectioned off with my utilities (HVAC, water heater etc). the base of the walls are all waterproof. The floor is acid stained concrete and slopes toward the drain used by above utilities in case a tank busts theres no water damage. Mostly 40B, 20L, 20H and 10gal. All for raising plants, shrimp of various types and rabbit snails. Theyre all running on Linear Piston air pumps. I run 2 smaller in case of a failure of one at least I have something and not relying on one big unit to power everything. I also have an all home generator that runs on natural gas in the even of a power failure. The room stays between 68-72F so only the tanks with rabbit snails and Sulawesi shrimp are heated to 82F. I need to add some TVs to the walls. And maybe a fridge for some cold beers. 😁
Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had fun with this setup? I am doing the same thing with my Fish Room/area with the floor slightly tilted, just enough so that if water leaks (and it will happen) more water just drains and I spend less time moaning and groaning with towels and cleanup. I might add a TV or Fridge if they don't create too much heat?

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've got about 35 tanks in the fish house. Couple weeks another 20 should come on line. 100 by year's end if money holds out. Humidity is a problem in Florida's winter but for the last 3 months I've had the windows open and a fan circulating air. Before the winter I intend to have the tanks covered in some fashion cut the humidity problem. Summer isn't a problem since it is an air conditioned fish house. I keep it at 82 and that seems to curtail humidity problems.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
fish room, paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode