CO2 Regulator - Anyone Selling? Or... - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
CO2 Regulator - Anyone Selling? Or...

As the title suggests - looking to purchase a complete CO2 regulator setup (minus the reactor and co2 cylinder itself). I've tried my hand at making my own and, well, I'm just not that happy with it. Ideally, I have two tanks about 30ft apart that both may benefit from CO2, is it possible to use one regulator setup for two seperate tanks? Also of note is I will be using an Apex 2016 controller with virtual outlets to control the CO2.

I've also heard that the electronic regulators are the best - thoughts/input?

Appreciate the help again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 04:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes, it's possible to use one regulator with multiple tanks. We use a CO2arts brand dual stage regulator which comes standard ready for one tank. They sell a separate piece they call a manifold for $49 which adds connection to a 2nd tank. You can add them as needed for up to 5 tanks total. Here's what it looks like setup for 5 tanks:
[IMG][/IMG]

Walking the tightrope of discus in a high tech planted tank.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbank View Post
Yes, it's possible to use one regulator with multiple tanks. We use a CO2arts brand dual stage regulator which comes standard ready for one tank. They sell a separate piece they call a manifold for $49 which adds connection to a 2nd tank. You can add them as needed for up to 5 tanks total. Here's what it looks like setup for 5 tanks:
[IMG][/IMG]

Awesome - how do you control the CO2 being delivered to each tank? And how does it control the on/off to each tank?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 12:38 PM
Algae Grower

It's easy. The dial in the bottom rotates and you can count the bubbles per second as the gas rises. The red light indicates power. I plug the unit into a timer. Most suggest having co2 turn on an hour or two before the lights and turn off an hour before the lights. That allows the tank to maximize photosynthesis.

Walking the tightrope of discus in a high tech planted tank.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

to control flow/amount of CO2 from the cylinder to your aquarium - use a flow meter...this is the direction I've decided to go:

Flow Meter: it has to read small amounts in CC (Cubic Centimeters per minute) and not in SCFH which is standard cubic feet per hour. SO, the product I need for a very large tank (>100 gallons) is this one from Dwyer: RMA-150-SSV Flowmeter [SSV is Stainless Steel Valve], range 10-100 cc/min air. 8% accuracy. For a smaller tank (less than 100 gallons), get the 5-50 cc/min model. If you purchase it directly from Dwyer, it is a few dollars cheaper than on Amazon ($67 at Dwyer plus $10 for shipping). It is this model (link to Dwyer): https://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/F...ry=RMA-150-SSV

Also needed is a pair of 1/8 npt -> 3/16" barb fittings or 1/4" push tube. These fittings allow the tubing to enter/exit the flow meter... = essential. Amazon has them.

It is better to use a flow meter to adjust the amount of CO2 into the tank than (only) the needle valve on the CO2 regulator.

You will also need a pH meter that can stay 24/7 in your tank so you can measure pH drop (shoot for about a "1" drop...eg. from 7.0 to 6.0)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 07:58 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
To expand a bit on the above: you need a needle valve / flow meter per each tank.

A quality needle valve allows fine control over the co2 flow and the flow meter measures that flow. As per above, some flow meters have a built in needle valve but, ime, that are not good enough, especially for a smaller tank.

If you can only get one, get a needle valve first.
rdcny likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode