• 2 Post By Crazygar
  • 2 Post By Grobbins48
  • 1 Post By Crazygar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 Bell Diffuser Lifespan

I have trolled the Internet and cannot find an answer in regards as to how long a Glass, CO2 Bell Diffuser (with Spiral Bubble Counter) should last? Why am i asking?

Mine just, well, caved in.

Yes, caved in like giant hole in the center ceramic dissolving to produce said hole.

I know right?

I have had this running since the start of the Aquarium back in 2017. I clean it using nothing but a Toothbrush.

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 05:41 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have used homemade bottles for CO2 for many years and the gas definitely causes the plastic to become brittle but I would not expect that on glass or ceramic. Curious if others have experienced these materials to wear out more quickly than would be expected.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is why I am asking. Do these have a "operational life"? Have others had this happen or am I, once again, the example.

Gary

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 12:15 AM
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
I purchased this about a year ago, it still works well, but they included a second ceramic plate, which is an indication that there's likely a degree of "wear and tear". At what rate I've yet to determine but I haven't seen a noticeable difference with the diffusion or size of the bubbles and only occasionally need to readjust to flow of CO2.
https://tinyurl.com/vp5hheh

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was digging around last night (since we are confined to our homes giving us loads of extra time) and found that you are not supposed to brush, rub or touch these in anyway. What I essentially did was work it down over three years with a toothbrush. Sigh.

A lesson learned. Supposed to be cleaned in a solution 3 parts water, 1 part Bleach for 30 minutes. Rinse, and clean in water with Dechlor. Lesson learned.

Gary
Jane of Upton and Grobbins48 like this.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When I clean mine I do the above, but keep the CO2 running so nothing backfeeds into the diffuser or line. Then the dechlorinator soak.
Jane of Upton and Crazygar like this.

|

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Interesting Grobbins48 I wouldn't have thought of that.

Now that I just have my Atomizer, it will be easier to clean. The Bell Diffuser was ugly anyway. Today I am going to setup everything proper rather than the current makeshift setup.

Gary
Grobbins48 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode