CO2 regulator + post body kit? Is that it?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 regulator + post body kit? Is that it??

I'm trying to talk myself out of a GLA regulator and am trying to make sure I have this straight. To be really frank, I don't have a DIY/handyman bone in my body. But...I dig nerdy things and if I can put together my own regulator easily, get better quality than GLA, and do it all for a "reasonable" price, then I'm all in. I just want to make sure that I have all this correct before I pull the trigger...

If i buy a tested 2-stage CO2 regulator off ebay or the for sale/trade forum here, like the attached here, and then buy a post-body kit from diyco2regulator.com or a fancier one from the sale/trade forum (specifically one of these: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...body-kits.html), am I pretty good to go? Is this literally just screwing the post body kit onto the regulator with loctite, connecting a Co2 tank to one end and CO2 tubing to the other??

Thanks for any clarification. I see some complete, fairly high end regulators on the sale/trade forum and my alternative is probably just going that route.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You need a needle valve to tune the flow of the CO2 and you really should have a solenoid so you can set your CO2 and then use a timer to automatically turn your CO2 on and off. A complete setup would like something like this....

Solenoid is not required but the issue you will run into will be inconsistent CO2 because you might not always be home when it's time to turn the CO2 on or off. Now some people do just run it 24 hours a day but that just wastes CO2 since the plants don't use CO2 when lights are out. It's just nice to set and forget using a solenoid and timer. Needle valve is IMO almost required as it would be very difficult to fine tube your BPS without one. You might be able to with the valve that's attached to your reg. but the adjustment on that is probably too course to dial is down to the single BPS. Many reg. don't even have that valve so for them you would definitely need a needle valve. Mine just happens to have one as well. I was going to take it off but I just left it. Figured it would be an easy way to cut the CO2 if I needed to do something with one of the pieces in my CO2 line between the reg. and tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Doesn't the post-body kit I linked cover the needle valve and solenoid? Totally understood that a timer is needed. I forgot to include that in the original post.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 06:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
know how to do it and have the tools, are what necessary...

there are many threads in this section that you can dig for a while, to grab the concepts and fully understand how to do it.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 07:23 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehundo View Post
Doesn't the post-body kit I linked cover the needle valve and solenoid? Totally understood that a timer is needed. I forgot to include that in the original post.
Yes, the linked post body kits include a needle valve and solenoid. It appears the solenoid will need to be wired yourself.

A timer is also required, as you are already aware

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehundo View Post
Is this literally just screwing the post body kit onto the regulator with loctite, connecting a Co2 tank to one end and CO2 tubing to the other??

Thanks for any clarification. I see some complete, fairly high end regulators on the sale/trade forum and my alternative is probably just going that route.
https://www.plantengineering.com/art...hread-sealant/

https://store.cyberweld.com/smoxre2st30s.html

If you don't want to [email protected] shoot on eek bay.

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
mention of tools and ability has to include some warning about how these things can work out when we buy. First the regs we see for sale are not always built for CO2 unless we really check, So if it is for some other gas we CAN remove the old pipe nipple that it comes with and screw in one with a CGA 320 type tipe. Different gases use different tips to avoid any possible mistake on which gas we are feeding. you don't want to get CO2 instead of O2 if you go to the hospital!
But that change can get into a large problem and it pretty much depends on luck how much equipment it takes to get the old one out. Having a good way to hold the reg, like a vise and then a good wrench to give enough torque to break the old one loose is critical. Not hard for some but it can be close to impossible if you are holding it on your lap, etc. Just to be aware?
And then when going back, locktight is not the right then as we are not concerned with it coming loose but using a sealer like tape or pipe dope is what we need on the threads.
Wiring the solenoid is not usually too big a deal as it is just two wires from a small charger like for phones, etc of the right voltage to match what the solenoid uses like 12 or 24 volts. Either wire to either connection is okay for this and we can often get small lugs to crimp on the wires and then slide on the lugs of the solenoid. they can be crimped with something like pliers or even mashed down to hold the wire using a hammer. Finger mashing is possible, though!
I might think more people have trouble getting the old parts off than getting the new on.
The decisions are actually the harder part.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode