4Likes
  • 3 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Quint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Internal filter for 55 gallon Ro/Di water barrel

Could any one recommend a filter for a water change barrel. I like to remineralize 55 gallons at a time for better consistency. But some times if it sits for too long ammonia starts to build up. I'm looking for some thing that doesn't have to be pretty but efficient and long lasting would be nice. I would probably just put carbon an ammo chips in it. also one with out proprietary cartridges would be a plus. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Are you sure your water is not simply going stagnant? We use filters for mechanical as well as biological filtration. A water storage tank shouldn't require any mechanical filtration. Does it have a top on it? If not you might want to think about providing one.. debris falling in/light growing algae is likely the main cause of all your problems.

Anyway its a lot easier to just use a powerhead to get some circulation going in your barrel. This will likely resolve a lot of your issues as well, could even put it on a timer to conserve electricity. If for whatever reason you actually do need biological media in a water storage tank.. I would just put some cleaned lava rocks in the bottom.
Greggz, Immortal1 and Ken Keating1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Or even a simple air line with air stone. Put the stone at the bottom of the barrel and it will give it plenty of circulation and is cheap plus pretty low electrical usage. Plus as mentioned keep it covered.

I have a heater in mine which gives it an ever so slight water movement until it all heats up but I keep it covered and use it within a few days so not a big concern.
Immortal1 likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 05:16 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Or even a simple air line with air stone. Put the stone at the bottom of the barrel and it will give it plenty of circulation and is cheap plus pretty low electrical usage. Plus as mentioned keep it covered.

I have a heater in mine which gives it an ever so slight water movement until it all heats up but I keep it covered and use it within a few days so not a big concern.
Exactly what I did in my 55g storage drum. Air pump and large air stone creates enough water circulation that you can even see the bubbles at the top moving in a particular pattern (current flow)

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes my water goes stagnant and ammonia starts to build up. I was thinking that carbon filtration would help keep it a little cleaner. I heat the water before water changes and use a pump from an old tank but its way overkill, something like 1100 gallons per hour and i don't like to keep it running all the time for economical reasons. I like the timer idea. Thanks for your help.
How long can you store water in a barrel before it goes stagnant?

Last edited by Johntheskier; 03-30-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: added something
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 06:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Odd, not sure how the water gets stagnant, especially if it's RODI water. I have a 5 gallon sealed bucket that I use for wood pieces to keep them soaked so they'll stay submerged when I move to an aquarium. The water and wood has been in the bucket for two years and it's still crystal clear and not stagnant.

As others have stated, an air stone will provide sufficient water movement and most likely solve water quality issues.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What about UV sterilization?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Only way I can think of ammonia building up is if there is a bacterial die off happening in tank and it’s completely seal with no air exchange and/or water surface movement.

I would just try something like this, gives you fine water polishing mech filtration and bio filtering with sponge, couple modules to put whatever you want in them and also provide superior oxygenation and gas exchange in barrel. Basically turn barrel into a little, fully functional prep aquarium.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J4JYC5Y...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also I wouldn’t remineralize so far ahead to prevent chemotrophic bacteria from blooming in tank, just 1 day ahead of change add the minerals. Actually you be better off just to mineralize just the change water your going to do night before you use it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That makes sense. I just liked the idea of always having premixed and heated H2O on hand. I currently have only one 40 gallon tank running while I'm remodeling my house so 55 gallons is about 5 weeks of water changes. Usually by the fifth week the water starts to show low levels of ammonia (0.25PPM). Once my house is done I will undoubtedly have 4 or more tanks going so I will utilize more H2O per week. Thanks for your help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode