• 1 Post By RLee
  • 1 Post By Ben3721
  • 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 tank

Hey guys! I'm new to the planted fish tank world, and i'm loving it so far! ( added a pic of my recently planted aquarium 🙂 ) I found this CO2 tank in my garage (just recently
moved houses) which seems pretty big. I had thoughts of getting it refilled but my tank is only 10 gallons and upstairs, and it'd be an inconvenience to place and hide a CO2 tank in a space so small. I've been using DIY CO2 lately, but i really plan on switching over to a paintball CO2 system, but low on funds as i'm only a minor. Does anyone know how much these CO2 tanks go for? I plan on selling it to get a head start on a paintball system. Not sure what size it is, but I added a water bottle next to it for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE8DE925-E99A-4AEF-ABBD-BFB23210196D_1585539895491.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	3.71 MB
ID:	895607  

Name:	image_1585540228506.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	895609  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Look on the top neck part of the tank, it will have a stamp in the metal of the tanks size and last hydro test date. Every 5 years the tank has to be pressure tested. After they do the hydro test they stamp a new date. If you see my pic the size of the tank is on the bottom right side "5 # CO2" and the hydro test date is painted in gold "01-20"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	895631  

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 09:41 PM
Planted Member

So to answer your question, paintball tanks are like 18-35 bucks usd, it costs 3 to 8 bucks to fill them. You'll need a decent reg that fits paintball tanks. They do exist. I have a dual stage GLA reg with the paintball adapter on it. But gla makes a single stage paintball one and I think co2art does too...

Only issue is you wont be able to get it filled until this whole covid 19 epidemic is over. Heck you probably cant get even a normal co2 tank like the one you have hydro tested and filled right now.

Seriously if I was you I'd stick to the DIY co2 for stability then once the shops open back up you can get the whole paintball co2 tank setup going.

I find for paintball tanks most big box stores have absolutely no clue how to fill them and typically screw it up pathetically. Most just think they fill it up till the psi stops moving and it's full, which disregard the fact that's when it starts forming into liquid. However buying the tanks from them is cheap, dont get the super tiny tanks and make sure you get one with a hydro date that is far from now, typically it costs more to have a cheaper paintball tank hydro tested than it cost to replace it. Ensure you have a local paintball field to fill it up every few months once the psi drops under 800psi aka it's just gas without any liquid in the tank. Some paintball places wont check your hydro date either, but that's not my decision nor recommendation.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 10:06 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben3721 View Post
Seriously if I were you I'd stick to DIY co2 for stability then once the shops open back up you can get the whole paintball co2 tank setup going.
In 12 years on this site there might never have been a statement I'd typically take issue with more that I'm in total agreement with now.

I am not an advocate for DIY CO2. I've done it many times and it's worked "okay" before too. But creating it will never be a pressurized tank just waiting on your (and your equipment's) command as to how much to inject into your water. DIY is fussy, stinks, is maddening, and runs out right when you think you had it dialed in for a while. Every time. Pressurized systems are really not that expensive, and the gas itself is cheaper than fish food. But especially on smaller tanks like your 10 gallon, you don't have to turn that dial too far to the left before you have no fauna. You guys would probably think less of me as a person if a photo of every fish, shrimp and snail I've gassed to death could be posted here. I've almost left the hobby over it. I have multiple failsafes now though, but they aren't inexpensive. In your case, I really would go the DIY route and see if the rewards would be worthwhile to you to take farther.

I don't know about the state of the internet today as far as ordering a kit or equipment, it may be fine and get to you this week. Paintball tanks use a different neck size than big tanks like the one you have, and I'd go with paintball size for a 10, personally.
PlantedRich and Ken Keating1 like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Quote:
Seriously if I were you I'd stick to DIY co2 for stability then once the shops open back up you can get the whole paintball co2 tank setup going.
In 12 years on this site there might never have been a statement I'd typically take issue with more that I'm in total agreement with now.

I am not an advocate for DIY CO2. I've done it many times and it's worked "okay" before too. But creating it will never be a pressurized tank just waiting on your (and your equipment's) command as to how much to inject into your water. DIY is fussy, stinks, is maddening, and runs out right when you think you had it dialed in for a while. Every time. Pressurized systems are really not that expensive, and the gas itself is cheaper than fish food. But especially on smaller tanks like your 10 gallon, you don't have to turn that dial too far to the left before you have no fauna. You guys would probably think less of me as a person if a photo of every fish, shrimp and snail I've gassed to death could be posted here. I've almost left the hobby over it. I have multiple failsafes now though, but they aren't inexpensive. In your case, I really would go the DIY route and see if the rewards would be worthwhile to you to take farther.

I don't know about the state of the internet today as far as ordering a kit or equipment, it may be fine and get to you this week. Paintball tanks use a different neck size than big tanks like the one you have, and I'd go with paintball size for a 10, personally.
Yes, I'm planning on sticking to DIY for a while, which seems to be working fine at the moment as most of the plants are pearling, and those tiny organisms (detritus and such) seem to be happy eating the algae off the aquarium walls while i'm cycling the tank. Paintball CO2 was just a thought and that if I was able to sell the tank I have now, would be a more convenient setup than the citric acid one I have set up at the moment.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 02:47 PM
Planted Member

Are welding shops still open as essential? They are technically maintenance/construction which most states are allowing to stay open through all this I would think. They can refill tanks like the one you have if the hydro date is fine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Are welding shops still open as essential? They are technically maintenance/construction which most states are allowing to stay open through all this I would think. They can refill tanks like the one you have if the hydro date is fine.
In my area, they are. I unfortunately had to refill today.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yes, the concerns about welding gas being closed is just wrong as CO2 is also used for sada and beer and that beer is often considered and essential service! Construction and repair are both often considered essential as well, even in the most forward thinking areas, it is important to keep things like power plants repaired. Even Bass Pro shops are open in the states which are the last to get the idea.
I would think that tank was a valuable item as they go for about $50 in the Central Texas area as I would guess that to be a 20 or 20C tanks. With the red color, I might also guess it is from a soda lifetime, as Coke and have specific colors.
So how to deal with an expired date? Depends on you and how your area deals but in my area, I take tanks in and swap at the welding gas suppliers as the best price and service combo. The place I go considered the hydro test as just part of doing business and doesn't worry the $25-50 fee that other places charge. That's why I do business there, they treat me right!
Some calling or even better, taking the tank in to let them see it is looking okay and asking will get the true story on each place you might shop.
One thing to keep in mind is that we are often not charged for the amount of gas we get but a basic charge to cover the labor and then a small addon for a few extra pounds of gas. I might go talk to some folks, be honest, and see how they feel about a simple swap of 20 for 10 or 5 as it will be much cheaper in the long run to fil a 5-10 than paintball. In this area the paintball folks get robbed as they charge per pound of gas and it is high!
You will soon regret the trip through DIY as it is nearly impossible to keep it stable for long. And who does it while you take a trip? Just not worth the messing and fumbling to get the education as there is usually NOT any right way to do it for long term fun.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode