Another CO2 question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another CO2 question

I am slowly starting to set up my 40B. When I bought my CO2 system for my 75g tank they set it up so I could run two tanks from one CO2 cylinder, so I don't need a second tank or regulator. I am trying to decide if I should run a second PH controller or just get a regulator/ bubble counter and an inline atomizer? Once I got everything dialed in I've had good luck with the American Marine pinpoint controller, but saving a couple of hundred dollars wouldn't be bad either. The tank will be planted, but beyond that, I haven't decided what plants and what fish I want to keep in it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 01:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
I am slowly starting to set up my 40B. When I bought my CO2 system for my 75g tank they set it up so I could run two tanks from one CO2 cylinder, so I don't need a second tank or regulator. I am trying to decide if I should run a second PH controller or just get a regulator/ bubble counter and an inline atomizer? Once I got everything dialed in I've had good luck with the American Marine pinpoint controller, but saving a couple of hundred dollars wouldn't be bad either. The tank will be planted, but beyond that, I haven't decided what plants and what fish I want to keep in it. Any thoughts or suggestions?
My 40 breeder runs about 3 or 4 bubbles a second. This is definitely something you can count yourself using a bubble counter. I don't know what your setup looks like, does it have a second needle valve already? If so you just need the bubble counter, check valve, and however you wish to disperse the co2 (inline you mentioned?).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
My 40 breeder runs about 3 or 4 bubbles a second. This is definitely something you can count yourself using a bubble counter. I don't know what your setup looks like, does it have a second needle valve already? If so you just need the bubble counter, check valve, and however you wish to disperse the co2 (inline you mentioned?).
It only has one needle valve assembly, so I would need everything post bottle and regulator. The more that I think about it, the more inclined I am to duplicate what I have on the 75g. It's working well, and when all is done, it's maybe $150-$200 more expensive than going low budget. I like the fact that once settled in, it's pretty much set and forget. I just check the regulator to make sure the pressure is okay, the controller to make sure that the ph is in range, and the CO2 gauge is green. I'm also one who likes to keep tank conditions as constant as possible, and this setup works well in that regard. Because my local water is soft, I check my kh once a week to make sure that it doesn't get to zero. I know that there's a big debate here on whether zero is bad or not, but with the controller, it makes it possible to get the ph out of wack, so I'd rather make sure that I have some kh as a buffer for th CO2.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 07:57 PM
Algae Grower

you need two needle valves if you want to split your line otherwise c02 will go to the outlet with the lower pressure. you need a manifold or you can use something like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moke View Post
you need two needle valves if you want to split your line otherwise c02 will go to the outlet with the lower pressure. you need a manifold or you can use something like this.
When I bought the system it came with a two outlet manifold, so I just need to order a second needle valve/regulator and a diffuser/reactor. I'm leaning towards duplicating the setup I have on my 75g.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 10:55 PM
Planted Member

Trying to figure your setup up. One of those manifolds with multiple solenoids is what I’m imagining. Correct?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 06:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
When I bought the system it came with a two outlet manifold, so I just need to order a second needle valve/regulator and a diffuser/reactor. I'm leaning towards duplicating the setup I have on my 75g.
if you already have a manifold, all you need is a needle valve, you don't need a new regulator.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode