CO2 gets to bubble ctr but not to tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question CO2 gets to bubble ctr but not to tank

I am having a problem with the CO2 system in my 40 gal freshwater aquarium (36"w x 15"d x 17"h). I am out of ideas about what else to try. Help would be much appreciated (probably something only a newbie would miss).

I am new to CO2--I have only used it since last fall. For a while I had an in-tank diffuser, but didn't get much result. The first week of January I installed an inline CO2 atomizer. It was marvelous for six weeks or so: I could see a very, very fine mist in the tank, the CO2 indicator solution changed appropriately over the day, and all the green guys pearled enthusiastically! On less than 1 bps.
Then I had a solenoid problem and then a needle valve problem (half my fish died ) and I then had to refill my CO2 tank. It took awhile to get all that fixed.

When I started it all up again a few weeks ago I couldn't seem to get the CO2 to show up in the tank. This is my set up:
CO2 tank with Archaea dual-gauge regulator=>
=>Amano speed controller =>
=>Amano plastic check valve =>
=>inline bubble counter =>
=>stainless steel check valve
(or plastic airline coupler, tried both: see Note just below) =>
=>CO2 atomizer in the output line of Eheim 2215 canister
(on the line out of the canister, on the way to the aquarium).

(Note: the SS check valve is pretending to be a CO2-proof coupler, so that I can have a few inches of the flexible white CO2 tubing at each end of the bubble counter--because that is the only way I can disconnect the bubble counter to re-fill it. The rest of the tubing is the stiff black Co2-resistant type)

--The first gauge of my regulator still reads full. It has not visibly gone down over the last two weeks, so I assume it's not leaking anywhere, or not much. I can't hear any hisses.
--The second gauge indicates a pressure of about 35, as before. Needle valve mostly open; control is by Amano speed controller upline.
--The inline bubble counter responds appropriately, more or fewer bubbles depending on how I tweak the speed controller below it.

When I first had trouble (no indicator change, no mist, no pearling) I took everything apart, including the atomizer. It looked pristine inside but I cleaned it out with peroxide. I cleaned the canister tubing, changed the filter media, impeller. I double-checked all connections as I put it back together. The "Y" branch of the atomizer, which includes the CO2 input line, is on the canister-side of the return water line; the single stem is on the aquarium-side. I changed the CO2 indicator solution.

Even if I increase the bubble rate to a stream of barely-distinguishable bubbles, there is no change in the aquarium--no mist, no indicator change, no pearling. I tried using my old CO2 diffuser inside the aquarium (both bypassing or not bypassing the stainless steel check valve). There were a few streams of bubbles rising but not a heck of a lot, and--again--no sign of significant CO2 in the water. So I don't think the problem is the atomizer. The CO2 reaches the bubble counter just fine, but never makes it to the tank. And it doesn't seem to be the check valve/coupler.

Does anything come to mind that I may be missing?
My plants are getting hungry and the algae are getting way too happy
Thanks!

New to modern aquariums, learning feverishly with delight.

40g, LED + 1-fluor, 2 Eheim 2215s, inline heater, EcoComp 3", 2 airstones, lots rocks, wood. Recently started CO2, Archaea dual reg, inline atomizer.
Plants: Pogo, Anub, Sword, Hydphil, Microsor, Hydcotl.
Livestock: tomasi, buffaloheads, loaches (Kuhli, Mekong Blue, Queen), Pearl + yellow gouramis, m endlers, platies.
Fluval Spec 5.6: 2 f bettas
Fluval Spec 5.6 : no shrimp. I kill them every time...so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
it takes time to push through atomizer after co2 flowing through bubble counter.
if wait long enough still no co2, check leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 10:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you open up the needle valve completely does it just keep going at the same rate or does the bubble count slow/stop eventually?

If it just keeps on going infinitely then you have a leak.

If the bubble count slows/stops then the line is pressurized equal to the working pressure and the atomizer is likely clogged. They have micro pores that clog if left unused for long periods.

Try soaking it in bleach for longer or try upping the working pressure to 40-50psi and see if it pushes it out. Don't go higher than 60psi, as the atomizer itself could split.

Also test without the check valves in case they have failed.

My bubbles

Tags
co2 advice, co2 system, equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode