Diy co2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By alexm007

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy co2

Would something like this be fine? Was going to use it for my 40B breeder.

I've seen some recommendations for the D301 from Banggood but this looks like it'll work just the same unless I'm missing something. Just didn't want to wait 3 weeks to ship it from China. Just need the diffuser and the citric acid otherwise.

Edit: Whoops forgot ebay links aren't allowed. It's similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/DIY-CO2-Aquar.../dp/B008CUZJF6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 05:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilers18 View Post
Would something like this be fine? Was going to use it for my 40B breeder.

I've seen some recommendations for the D301 from Banggood but this looks like it'll work just the same unless I'm missing something. Just didn't want to wait 3 weeks to ship it from China. Just need the diffuser and the citric acid otherwise.

Edit: Whoops forgot ebay links aren't allowed. It's similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/DIY-CO2-Aquar.../dp/B008CUZJF6
This is the one I used years ago before I went pressurized. One thing to note is the needle valve on any DIY setup is not really that good. I was always needing to adjust it to get the bubble count I wanted. I found the DIY CO2, to be successful, takes a lot of attention daily.

One thing you you may want to look into is some sort of passive CO2 setup with DIY CO2.. Just popped into my head typing this response, but it will give you a very consistent, albeit lower, dose of CO2 24/7. Look it up- it may be interesting to try out (still using the kit above to fill a passive CO2 container).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

I tried a few different low cost CO2 setups, the Fluval mini CO2 system, as well as a 20gram cartridge with a diffuser. I wasn't able to get consistent results as the pressure in the cartridge is always decreasing, so you need to adjust the valve daily or twice daily.

Perhaps the CO2 reactors using a time release gel, like from Dennerle, could be better, but you end up needing to purchase new gel and yeast monthly, it actually becomes more expensive than a pro system.

I now run a 5lb CO2 tank, dual STAGE regulator from ebay, and a solenoid that I run off a Wemo Mini SmartPlug which I can program to turn on and off twice a day for my tank siesta period. I also run an EHEIM 350 surface skimmer off a separate Wemo mini smart plug, so that it runs once or twice a day for 10 minutes, and "on-demand" anytime, but with a 10 minute auto-off.

Really nice devices, the Wemo mini smart plugs, and only about $17 each. "Hey Siri, turn on skimmer"..... boom.
Streetwise likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode