• 1 Post By Ken Keating1
  • 1 Post By Ken Keating1
  • 2 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Outdoor Storage of RODI Water & irrigation system

So my family and I are serious DIYs and we have embarked on a large scale project to convert a large portion of our yard to raised gardens to grow food for ourselves. Part of this project is to utilize old fish tank water to irrigate our gardens and to store RODI water for use in replenishing our fishtank during our weekly water changes. While we only have a 75-gallon tank now with 50 to 60% WC per week, we anticipate moving to a 200 gallon (os so) tank in the future.

The first part of the project has been completed where we designed and implemented a dual inlet irrigation system that allows (once the programming has been completed) automatic irrigation (much like a standard sprinkler control) but also adds the ability to switch between our city water supply and an IBC tote that will hold all of our old fish tank water. Using a combination of sprinkler control and one-way valves teed together for the dual inlet water selection, an electric irrigation pump and all of the necessary water zones (in our case six separate drip zones) we have built and tested the hydraulic portion of the project.

I am now moving on to the part where I create and store RODI water 300 gallons at a time. I have done a lot of research already and think I have the system figured out, none of what I found was specific to the type of system I was looking at and I wanted to run my design by everyone here to see if I am wasting my time with the RODI storage part of the project.

First, I have a food-grade (used to transport molasses once) 330-gallon IBC tote. We will be wrapping it completely in 6 mils black plastic to prevent any light from entering the tote. I am thinking of adding a pond-sized 40 watt UV light and pump to the tote to allow me to circulate the water some X number of times per day through the UV light. If any light does make it through into the tote, I am hoping that the UV light will kill any algae that might think of taking us residence in the tote.

This design will allow me to make and store about 8 weeks' worth of RODI water for my tank right now, and about 3 weeks worth when we get our new tank. My thought was to fill the tank with RODI water completely, treat it with CaSO4 and MgSO4 as I normally do with my RODI water and then use it all up before rinsing out the tank and starting over again. I would run the circulation pump and UV light maybe 2 to 3 hours a day allowing for a turnover rate around 5 to 6 times per day based on the size of the pump I will be using.

Most of the information that I have found about storage revolves around indoor storage which I cannot do and/or storage for specific use in gardening, not for a fish tank.

So I guess my questions for everyone here are:

1) Is this design safe for my fish?
2) Will the water remain stable and usable over the 2 months it is stored?
3) Is the UV light and/or circulation pump overkill since the water is RODI?
4) Is it safe to add the CaS04 and MgSO4 ahead of time to the water or will it break down (I don't think it will but figured I would ask anyway!)?

Any insight/advice/thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

75 Gallon Planted Fresh Water Tank
Fluval FX6 & 406 Filters / 2 x Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Lights
CO2Art CO2 Regulator w/DIY Grigg Reactor
Seneye+ Tank Monitoring System / Atlas Scientific Hydroponic Monitoring System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 06:11 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
@Ken Keating1 @Greggz

#4 is fine to add those whenever you want, they arent going anywhere
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
@Ken Keating1 @Greggz

#4 is fine to add those whenever you want, they arent going anywhere
Yep the dGH is not going to change.

You will want to circulate and aerate the water.

Aged water without aeration contains little oxygen and can be rough on fish during a water change.

I don't see the need to clean the tank so often. I never clean mine and it looks great inside.

What will temp be like?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
For my outside storage system, see Post # 125 in my Journal. It's only 55 gallons, but it may give you some useful ideas.

1) Is this design safe for my fish? Yes

2) Will the water remain stable and usable over the 2 months it is stored? Yes, but I'd recommend you aerate it for at least 24 hours before you use it.

3) Is the UV light and/or circulation pump overkill since the water is RODI? I use an high quality air pump with and 6" air stone. The rising bubbles generate a lot of flow, so not only am I aerating the water but I'm also keeping it moving. Hard to say what may grow in it, but I doubt it'll be very much. I'd just watch it and see what happens. I would add the CaSO4 adn MgSO4 to the water up front, pure RODI water can be very corrosive.

4) Is it safe to add the CaS04 and MgSO4 ahead of time to the water or will it break down (I don't think it will but figured I would ask anyway!)? It'll be dissolved in the water column, it won't break down.
Discusluv likes this.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 07:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I don't see the need to clean the tank so often. I never clean mine and it looks great inside.
That's interesting, I find I have to clean mine fairly often. I get a brownish film on the inside of the tank fairly regularly. It's in the basement and sealed to outside contaminants
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 07:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_rob View Post
That's interesting, I find I have to clean mine fairly often. I get a brownish film on the inside of the tank fairly regularly. It's in the basement and sealed to outside contaminants
It's probably something that needs to be determined on a case by case basis. Mine's outside and get's liters/min of air pumped into it using outside air and only has a very light brownish film in it, light enough it's not worth cleaning, and I haven't clean it since it came online over two years ago.
Greggz likes this.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
It's probably something that needs to be determined on a case by case basis. Mine's outside and get's liters/min of air pumped into it using outside air and only has a very light brownish film in it, light enough it's not worth cleaning, and I haven't clean it since it came online over two years ago.
Same.

Probably has a lot to do with water movement. Mine is heavily circulated and aerated.

My guess is that stagnant water could easily have problems.
deeda and Ken Keating1 like this.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode