• 2 Post By Botia dude
  • 1 Post By EdWiser
  • 1 Post By stevewb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Issue with UNS all in one

A while back I set up a UNS 60A all in one. It’s one of those tanks with a divided chamber in the back with media and pump. I “upgraded” from an AquaJapan version as I didnt want the curved corners anymore.

So the AquaJapan had the normal intake vent at the top on the divider, but it also had a few intake holes at the bottom for when the water gets low. The UNS does not have those bottom intake holes. Ok..so just always be sure the water level is above intake, right? Wrong. When the water levels gets a little lower than halfway down the intake vents, the back chamber starts getting really low. My heater is in the back chamber, sp this is an issue.

I emailed UNS, but never heard back.

I am sick that the tank I had BEFORE worked better. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 07:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I see 2 options here. 3 if you count tearing it down and getting rid of it.

#1 - get a set of glass hole drill bits for about 7-10 bucks and cut a 1/4" hole lower down to work like the other tank. Cost - some time and 7-10 bucks

#2 - get a Automatic top off system with an optical sensor to always keep the water level where you set it. A small 3-5g container will probably last a week or 2 before you have to fill it again. Cost $100 or more depending which system you buy. A DIY container to hold your top off water will save a bunch
irishspy and tracyree like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. Top off system is a really good idea. I worry about when we travel, so this would ease my mind.

Drilling it would be the BEST choice, but I am not up for draining and starting all over at the moment. I know I would break it in the process as well. Ugh. That’s probably the long term goal (drilling it, not breaking it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botia dude View Post
I see 2 options here. 3 if you count tearing it down and getting rid of it.

#1 - get a set of glass hole drill bits for about 7-10 bucks and cut a 1/4" hole lower down to work like the other tank. Cost - some time and 7-10 bucks

#2 - get a Automatic top off system with an optical sensor to always keep the water level where you set it. A small 3-5g container will probably last a week or 2 before you have to fill it again. Cost $100 or more depending which system you buy. A DIY container to hold your top off water will save a bunch

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:33 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyree View Post
Thanks. Top off system is a really good idea. I worry about when we travel, so this would ease my mind.

Drilling it would be the BEST choice, but I am not up for draining and starting all over at the moment. I know I would break it in the process as well. Ugh. That’s probably the long term goal (drilling it, not breaking it)
I was really scared to drill my 68g UNS90U but it ended up being a really easy process. I also did it with fish, plants and about 30 gallons of water in it. If you're gentle and let the hole saw do its work you should be fine unless it's tempered glass. Most of the problems i hear about are the thinner glass of mass produced tanks.

I agree that the ATO system would suit you well if you're gone a week or more at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

https://www.marinedepot.com/tunze-os...to-top-off-ato

Use this an use a dog food container for the water.

https://www.chewy.com/buddeez-roll-a...iner/dp/152375

Put the pump container in the tank stand. The container will hold 5 gallons of water. The sensor goes into the camber where the return pump is.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How did you keep the Glass dust out of the water?

Quote:
I was really scared to drill my 68g UNS90U but it ended up being a really easy process. I also did it with fish, plants and about 30 gallons of water in it. If you're gentle and let the hole saw do its work you should be fine unless it's tempered glass. Most of the problems i hear about are the thinner glass of mass produced tanks.

I agree that the ATO system would suit you well if you're gone a week or more at a time.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 05:46 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyree View Post
How did you keep the Glass dust out of the water?
I didn't. I used a powerhead and hose to keep the hole saw cool and the glass dust went into the tank as a very fine dust. It's non toxic and the water cleared up with filter floss quickly afterwords.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. I guess it’s different for fish...no lungs.

Quote:
I didn't. I used a powerhead and hose to keep the hole saw cool and the glass dust went into the tank as a very fine dust. It's non toxic and the water cleared up with filter floss quickly afterwords.
Bump: Just heard back from UNS and they said “we will consider adding lower intakes in future models. Please ensure you keep the chamber filled”. Oh well, thanks UNS. Thanks for nothing.

The more I think about this the more upset I get. This tank design is a safety hazard. Every other all in one aquarium has lower intake holes for this reason. Someone is going to have a fire because of this design.

I shouldn’t have to rig up a $100 top off system to my already expensive UNS tank. UNS doesn’t seem to care either. They will wait until someone has a fire to do anything.

There’s no way I can successfully drill the holes myself without completely emptying the tank and turning it on it’s side as the glass needing drilled in INSIDE a small tank. UGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
https://www.marinedepot.com/tunze-os...to-top-off-ato

Use this an use a dog food container for the water.

https://www.chewy.com/buddeez-roll-a...iner/dp/152375

Put the pump container in the tank stand. The container will hold 5 gallons of water. The sensor goes into the camber where the return pump is.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-31-2020 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is the standard way that this tank is made. The UNS tank is a standard AIO tank made in a Chinese factory.
https://www.innovative-marine.com/

Innovative marine is the largest sellers of AIO tanks. You can get an ATO or top of the tank yourself it is up to you.

I have had AIO Tanks in the past so I know the issue of an ATO.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

WOW, I had no idea as every AIO I’ve had in the past has had bottom in stake holes. Fluval, AquaJapan and Marineland. I haven't had am Innovative Marine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
This is the standard way that this tank is made. The UNS tank is a standard AIO tank made in a Chinese factory.
https://www.innovative-marine.com/

Innovative marine is the largest sellers of AIO tanks. You can get an ATO or top of the tank yourself it is up to you.

I have had AIO Tanks in the past so I know the issue of an ATO.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There a ton of AIO tanks and very few have a bottom intake. All AIO tanks need and auto top of system really due to the way the back cambers work.
Especial if you want worry free aquarium.
tracyree likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 09:29 PM
Planted Member

My IM doesn’t have any lower intake holes. If I don’t fill it once between water changes the sump will run dry. The chambers the media and heaters are in always stay full though
tracyree likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The center chamber on a IM will lower as water evaporates. You install the ATO there and you water level will remain the same.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode