I switched to the Reactor and the Fluval 407 and set my co2 to 5bps.
It works really well. When I first set it up yesterday, the reactor was almost half filled with air within a few hours. However, the blades where still spinning! Eventually the air dissolved into the water.
I checked today when the co2 turned off, and there was only a small bubble left. I’m attributing the abundance of gas from yesterday to the fact it was a new filter, with lots of trapped air. So the problem was definitely a flow issue.
At the moment, I don’t see any less ‘spriting’ then I did with the atomizer. This could be a result of my plumbing, causing the water to slightly off gas. However, I barley saw it with the atomizer anyway. I also found my drop checker changed colour faster with the atomizer.
So my conclusion:
If you used a reactor either:
Use a very strong pump/canister
Be prepared to have a maximum of 3bps. (I was thinking about having my co2 turn on 2 hours ahead of time to make up for the difference)
Also try an atomizer. It might actually work way better then you think. Having a long tube after the atomizer might solve any ‘spriting’ issues.
I am glad I figured all this out. I know I haven’t been getting any community response with this post, but I felt like cataloging my process might help someone else. I found lots of other posts elsewhere with no resolve.