Flow control knob on eheim professional 4 broke today! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
A warning for other who have these filters!

The grey handle that controls the flow broke today as I went to set the flow to off to remove the hoses and do a cleaning. The filter was around 8 months old.

I heard a *snap* and the handle was moving freely back and forth. Luckily the flow was going ever so slowly which kept the filter bacteria from dying before I had time to run out to a petsmart to buy a replacement. Only one in 30 miles had one!

I also use this handle often to tweak the flow as full blast is too much for my tank. I could tell it felt like it was going to snap at some point in the future and the way I moved it today must have been overzealous. Dont get me wrong, in no way should this handle have broken so easily with how I used it.

The [censored][censored][censored][censored]ty part is that theres no way to get the tubing connector piece out without destroying it. You can find the tube connector piece inline at eheim website. Costs about $40 shipped: https://eheimsupport.com/eheim-pro-4...ter-parts.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fluval has similar issue IMHO. They beefed it up in the most recent models but I still didn't care for it. Parts prices are a pain also since if u get a new lever and o rings for the fluval ya may as well buy a new filter.

Hopefully ya had petsmart check there online price, the local one has the ehiem filter for twice what they do if u order online for instore pickup. EDIT: Thats for the filter, they dont carry parts for them obviously.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Quint; 03-16-2020 at 05:00 AM. Reason: add info
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 03:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Try reaching out to Spencer at [email protected] for pricing. While your at it order any spares you may need. This is who I order all my Eheim parts from. He's in the UK but shipping is typically free and shipping time is 5 days and I've always received great customer service. Just make sure he provides a quote in dollars and not pounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 04:53 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I had several of them break on 3 and 4, with one still stuck in the head. Eheim refused to replace the latest one under warranty, calling it a "user error" and because the filter was bought at a deep discount. I was really pissed.

Al's Pets also carries replacement parts, and the flow control is identical on 3 and 4.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 05:25 PM
Banned

You mean this piece?
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...QYOBqEQ8wIIigM

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 09:10 PM
Algae Grower

Same happened on my 4 after about five months. Eheim's customer service offered no assistance or goodwill of any kind and suggested I maintain it better next time. There won't be a next time as I switched to Fluval. My 306 has been fine for about a year.

Still like my Eheim heater and auto feeder, but I'll never buy their filters again.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I've had it happen quite a few times on my 2075 and 2076. When it starts getting harder to move is when I replace them. Big Al's has the best price on replacements as far as I've found. This thread reminds me I've used my last spare so time to order a couple of replacements.

https://www.bigalspets.com/eheim-com...2076-2078.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome, I didn't realize you could get these for cheap in the US.

Definitely grabbing one for next time. Thanks all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode