Why are there no reasonably priced LED lights using a high CRI LED? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why are there no reasonably priced LED lights using a high CRI LED?

Hi

I understand that CRI is not an important factor in growing aquarium plants, but a lot of our hobby is viewing our tanks and their inhabitants. I have a pair of photo LED lights on my 75g and the light coming from them seems much more pleasing than the aquarium LEDs I have on my other tanks. The Nicrew on my 20L isn't bad, but the Beamworks on my 10g has lousy color and the Nicrew G2 while powerful, doesn't impress me with its light's color, although that tank is empty and dry. I would think someone would build an aquarium light with a high CRI for enhanced viewing. Is there some technical or other reason why none of the manufacturers have done this?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 02:38 AM
Planted Member

Most aquarium plant lights are from growing purposes, so their light spectrums are focused on that aspect, rather than be full spectrum. In other words people want usable light rather than full spectrum viewing light. But I get what your wanting.

I would recommend emailing a company that does aquarium lights like finnex. They probably could give you a very solid yet complex reasoning to this tread.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 05:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben3721 View Post
Most aquarium plant lights are from growing purposes, so their light spectrums are focused on that aspect, rather than be full spectrum. In other words people want usable light rather than full spectrum viewing light. But I get what your wanting.

I would recommend emailing a company that does aquarium lights like finnex. They probably could give you a very solid yet complex reasoning to this tread.

Naaahh, you give them more credit than they deserve..
Plants adapt and as long as you give them reasonable spectrum and reasonable # of photons it's all good..
Actually lights like RGB or RGBW are usually poorly targeting growth w/ more low use green than is "optimal" but looks great..

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 06:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Hi

I understand that CRI is not an important factor in growing aquarium plants, but a lot of our hobby is viewing our tanks and their inhabitants. I have a pair of photo LED lights on my 75g and the light coming from them seems much more pleasing than the aquarium LEDs I have on my other tanks. The Nicrew on my 20L isn't bad, but the Beamworks on my 10g has lousy color and the Nicrew G2 while powerful, doesn't impress me with its light's color, although that tank is empty and dry. I would think someone would build an aquarium light with a high CRI for enhanced viewing. Is there some technical or other reason why none of the manufacturers have done this?

Cost mostly..availability, and the higher the CRI the lower the output in L/watt..
https://www.waveformlighting.com/hig...SAAEgKclfD_BwE
Cost..

Also and a bit contrary to what I posed to the other comment.. some RGBW fixtures can have pretty high CRI..but, sadly still short in some wavelenghts (the "average" errors of CRI measurements). I'll assume your photo lights address this CRI w/ a more err accurate spectrum balance. Usually this involves the addition of phosphors that boost both cyan and red but still maintain a neutral color tone (i.e "white")

Can be done but margins or sales may suffer..
The middle one w/ the magenta tone, to most, would probably look the best w/ a lower CRI then the last..BUT some may notice the quality of the

last one w/a better overall balanced tonal range.
On paper some of the best chips w/ reasonable prices..
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32951576956.html

96CRI at D65.. IF they are as advertised.

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-15-2020 at 06:24 AM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Amazon has Monios warm white grow lights in 'sunlight' spectrum.

Seem like a early morning spectrum..will need reflector wings

https://www.amazon.com/Monios-L-Outp.../dp/B07QFPBQDR

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 08:13 PM
Banned

The cost of high CRI LEDs is more than what most are willing to pay. LCFOCUS from AliExpress manufactures them and the price is expensive. But the natural sunlight color reproduction, along with the spectrum, is ideal for color aesthetics.

GE's HD line of LED bulbs offer 90+ CRI and are also more expensive than typical LED bulbs, $11 per 15w bulb. The Refresh 5000K version has pretty good color rendition but it's still a bit yellow. It achieves a high CRI by having more cyan in the spectrum to fill in the cyan dip of typical yellow phosphor diodes. I use these bulbs over some of my tanks.

https://www.gelighting.com/led-bulbs...h-hd-led-bulbs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode