60 GPD 4-Stage RO/DI Unit - Kent Marine “Maxxima - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
60 GPD 4-Stage RO/DI Unit - Kent Marine “Maxxima

I got this RO unit today for 60$, came with an extra 1 micron filter as well as the carbon filter. I swapped those filters and have ran it for about 15 mins and took a test. The TDS seemed about 30, both the wastewater and "pure" water. (I don't know if the TDS is correct as the meter I ordered didn't come with a calibration solution, yes I have contacted the company)

And I have been getting about 10ph on wastewater and 7.7-8 on the "pure water" do I need a new membrane? This seems very strange
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200313_152322_1584138440122.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	894797  

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
Something are missing from the picture, and the connection order are wrong.

Water line connection order:
1.The purple transparent chamber is the 1 stage, 5(or 3 micron) micron filter look thirty(maybe it is the carbon filter)
2.Middle chamber is 2nd stage, 1 micron filter goes here.
3.The third chamber is the 3rd stage, carbon filter goes here.

4.Top chamber is the membrane filter, the single hole side is the inlet, double hole side is the RO (close to middle) outlet and waste (away from middle) outlet. Looks like you have it install backward, the RO outlet connect to the filter which is not supposed to be.

I don't know if the missing parts are necessary because looks like your system can only be manually turned on or off, my RO filter is for drinking water, I have one more carbon filter, 4 gallon RO water storage tank, and an automatic pressure triggered shutoff valve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 03-14-2020 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Add
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
Something are missing from the picture, and the connection order are wrong.

Water line connection order:
1.The purple transparent chamber is the 1 stage, 5(or 3 micron) micron filter look thirty(maybe it is the carbon filter)
2.Middle chamber is 2nd stage, 1 micron filter goes here.
3.The third chamber is the 3rd stage, carbon filter goes here.

4.Top chamber is the membrane filter, the single hole side is the inlet, double hole side is the RO (close to middle) outlet and waste (away from middle) outlet. Looks like you have it install backward, the RO outlet connect to the filter which is not supposed to be.

I don't know if the missing parts are necessary because looks like your system can only be manually turned on or off, my RO filter is for drinking water, I have one more carbon filter, 4 gallon RO water storage tank, and an automatic pressure triggered shutoff valve.
It has all the parts, it's just a manual to unit. I made sure not to mess up the connections that the PO made, perhaps that is why it was so cheap?

Anyways, I fixed the connections but now I have a filter question. I have 5 filters (not including the membrane) I will attach a picture of all of my filters. What is the order of these filters and what is the filter on the far left, it has weird gel like stuff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1584218171486232649046079720848_1584218206906.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	894821  

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

change them all, they are expired and thirty.
1st. 5 micron
2nd. 1 micron
3rd. Carbon filter

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I believe the PO wanted to connect it this way, but it is a different RO system and different filter unit for drinking water.

This system should be connected this way, the membrane filter is the last stage.
and you are missing component #10, the flow restrictor pretty much decide the ro/waste water discharge ratio, if you don't have it on the system, a lot of water will become waste water, and wasted.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 03-14-2020 at 11:09 PM. Reason: add
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
change them all, they are expired and thirty.
1st. 5 micron
2nd. 1 micron
3rd. Carbon filter

The two that are in the canisters are the new ones. One of which being a 5 micron filter and the other being a 1 micron filter. Both are brand new.

What originally came out of it is the stuff that is not in the canisters. Are you sure number 2 is a 1 micron filter bc it has orbs/beads of orange material.

For the pressure regulator could I just put something to reduce the outcoming pressure on the wastewater side?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayb View Post

What originally came out of it is the stuff that is not in the canisters. Are you sure number 2 is a 1 micron filter bc it has orbs/beads of orange material.
may be it is a granular activated carbon filter, it is also on second stage if the 1 micron filter is not presented, orange is because it is stained with the oxidized iron or bacteria culture, ...

Quote:
For the pressure regulator could I just put something to reduce the outcoming pressure on the wastewater side?
I am not sure about this, can't give you answer.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 01:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Part #10 in the diagram provided by Bettatail. I don't spot the flow restrictor in your picture but the flow restrictor should match the GPD rating of your RO membrane. Mismatched flow restrictor and membrane can affect the efficiency of the membrane or reduce the life of the membrane.

VICTOR PIMP #53 SGT-500-40-4F-2S-DK
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Quote:

may be it is a granular activated carbon filter, it is also on second stage if the 1 micron filter is not presented, orange is because it is stained with the oxidized iron or bacteria culture, ...

Quote:
I am not sure about this, can't give you answer.
Ok, what would be the order I should put them in with what I have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitaph View Post
Quote:
Part #10 in the diagram provided by Bettatail. I don't spot the flow restrictor in your picture but the flow restrictor should match the GPD rating of your RO membrane. Mismatched flow restrictor and membrane can affect the efficiency of the membrane or reduce the life of the membrane.
I'm probably going to have to get a new membrane soon anyways so I'm not too worried, would that at least work even if it was just a little restriction?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Epitaph already make it clear that you need a flow restrictor,
and a little bit more research on the RO system, I think since there is no other info of this system, you can choose flow restrictor rated for between 50gpd to 75gpd setup(I think a flow restrictor is the device to decide the RO output rating), because a typical 10" GE membrane RO unit can handle 50gpd to 75gpd RO output, if you choose 50gpd, the membrane will last longer, but faster RO production if you want a 75gpd.

you only need a flow restrictor if you manually turn it on/off, and definitely need a replacement membrane filter, the 10" membrane filter we can get at good price are all the same, from GE.

add:
well, I missed the title of this thread, it is a 60gpd, lol.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 03-15-2020 at 05:04 AM. Reason: add
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Epitaph already make it clear that you need a flow restrictor,
and a little bit more research on the RO system, I think since there is no other info of this system, you can choose flow restrictor rated for between 50gpd to 75gpd setup(I think a flow restrictor is the device to decide the RO output rating), because a typical 10" GE membrane RO unit can handle 50gpd to 75gpd RO output, if you choose 50gpd, the membrane will last longer, but faster RO production if you want a 75gpd.

you only need a flow restrictor if you manually turn it on/off, and definitely need a replacement membrane filter, the 10" membrane filter we can get at good price are all the same, from GE.

add:
well, I missed the title of this thread, it is a 60gpd, lol.
I looked up what a flow restrictor would look like ( Premier Reverse Osmosis Capillary Flow Restrictor for 35, 50, 75 or 100 GPD Membrane (50) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTZ29RG..._6NBBEbY9DVV8D ) and then took the line off the end and to my pleasant surprise found a flow restrictor. I do manually turn it on and off.

The reason I am asking these questions is because the only information I can find that seems to be this unit is this and I am very new to this RO/DI world and honestly just bought this bc I knew it was a good deal and I am getting into shrimp

https://reefwarehouse.com/index.php?...roduct_id=3121
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15842497586225512762839133699551_1584249765500.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	894855  

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, so after I rearranged the order as you guys said I am not getting 70 TDS out of waste water and 20 out of pure water. But I also have another problem. My sink is leaking badly from these 3 spots and I can apply very little pressure
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Polish_20200314_225737642_1584251880784.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	894857  

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

nice, I guess a new ro membrane filter is the last thing to get it work.

and a little bit more research on this system, the official setup is actually similar to this chart

Bump:
Quote:
Ok, so after I rearranged the order as you guys said I am not getting 70 TDS out of waste water and 20 out of pure water. But I also have another problem. My sink is leaking badly from these 3 spots and I can apply very little pressure
looks like plumbing problem...

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
nice, I guess a new ro membrane filter is the last thing to get it work.

and a little bit more research on this system, the official setup is actually similar to this chart

Bump:
Quote:
looks like plumbing problem...:-)
Looking at that closely I see that the wastewater does not hit the post carbon? Is that correct for my system?

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 07:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (31/100%)
Unless used RO Systems are dirt cheap and you know what you are doing, I wouldn't recommend getting one over a new one to avoid headaches. A 3 or 4 stage under the sink RO system costs ~$120 brand new or cheaper when on sale and it comes with everything you need to get started. New RO systems may come with the new safety improvements like double o-ring housings, tubing locking clips, check valve, leak stop valve, etc. The vast majority of the components in under the sink RO systems are generic and simply rebranded; most of the parts are universal and can be used across multiple brands as long as the sizes are compatible.

The three essential stages for a RO system IMO are the pre-filter stage, carbon stage, and the RO membrane stage. The other stages are pretty much optional depending on your needs. There are granulated activated carbon(GAC) and activated carbon blocks(CTO) for the carbon stage. CTO is better at removing contaminants than GAC in general(depends on the micron) due to the larger surface area but GAC does not restrict the flow as much as CTO. GAC is probably better suited for purposes like a shower head than CTO. Alkaline, UV, and post carbon stages are optional as well. UV is redundant if your water is from a municipal water supply as the water is already treated for bacteria. It is targeted for people getting their water from a source that has not been already treated for bacteria like a well or those that prefer not boiling the water prior to drinking. The alkaline stage is silly to me and I am not going to delve further into it. A lot of RO systems opt not to add a DI stage because the RO membrane should already remove 96%+ of the impurities and DI resin are more expensive to replace than the others. If you have the money or really adamant on getting the TDS even lower, go with a DI stage.

The main difference between lower rated and higher rated GPD membranes is higher rated GPD membranes often have lower rejection rates. For example, a 50 GPD membrane may have a 97% rejection rate(e.g. 100 TDS tap water should yield ~3 TDS filtered water) while a 150 GPD membrane may have a 95% rejection rate. However, this does not hold true for all membranes. Depending on the quality and materials, a 150 GPD membrane can also achieve 97% rejection rate. There are also low energy membranes that are able to operate at lower water pressure but their rejection rates are often much lower as well.

A flow restrictor is vital because the majority of home RO systems require a minimum water pressure of 40 PSI to operate normally; that is why you see some RO systems sold with booster pumps. When the capacity of the flow restrictor is too high compared to the membrane GPD, the pressure in the membrane housing drops, leading to greater waste water and less filtered water coming out. If the capacity of the flow restrictor is too low, the water in the membrane housing may not pass through the membrane properly, causing higher TDS in the filtered water.

Quote:
Looking at that closely I see that the wastewater does not hit the post carbon? Is that correct for my system?
The waste water should not be connected to any stages of the system. It should go directly into the drain pipe.

As for the leaks, they are obvious signs of improper connections. You can try removing the connections and adding Teflon tape to the threading of the fittings before reconnecting, double-checking the compression fittings are not pinching the RO tubing too tightly, or try a RO quick-connect faucet connector instead if your faucet is compatible.

VICTOR PIMP #53 SGT-500-40-4F-2S-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode