Glass cutting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass cutting

Hi

Does anyone know if you can cut the glass on a tank lid? The lid on the 10g is just a touch too wide for the HOB filter. I would need to cut about a 4" X 1/2" notch on one end. Can I buy a glass cutter at HD and do it myself? I could take it to a glass shop, but the lid cost me <$15, I'd hate to double that. Has anyone done that themselves?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm all for DIY most of the time, but sometimes DIY means paying double anyway. Trust me, I've found out the hard way a few times. I'm sure it can be done, but it would depend on your skill/experience with the glass cutter. If you're willing to cover the cost in case it doesn't go right, I'd say go for it. I'm hoping to get my glass cutting experience started soon myself.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Glass cutter at lowes is about $8-10 so paying someone $20 to do it and get it done nicely may be the better route on a one time adventure. Plus if they can sand the edge off also may well be worth it.

And yes I am a huge DIY, but sometimes I do it the pay money route. Like getting a stainless steel shroud made for my chimney (previous house). Several angles to fit over a square top with the proper 8" hole thru the center. It cost me $60 to have made. Could I have done it myself, yep, and maybe saved money but I dropped off a drawing one day after work and picked it up the next day after work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 07:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A notch or L cut are hard to do. It would be easier to do a simple straight cut at about 1.5(.5 snap offs on glass are almost impossible to do) on back edge and then replace whole back edge with some of this gutter guard. Its easy to cut to shape you need around filter and lasts for years. Gives you proper gas exchange but still prevents jumping.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax...yABEgLXvPD_BwE

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode