Flow meters for our pressurized co2 system - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 124 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
I complete the co2 flow rate calibration data for the key instruments flow meter today. The porter B-125-6 flow meter co2 flow rate calibration will be ready in a couple more days(hope so).

evil bay key word: Adjustable Oxygen Flow Meter 100 psig
Key instruments 65mm flowmeter, for oxygen direct reading at 100 psig.

below is the calibration data for co2 at 0, 20, 40 psig(pressure in glass tube), the max is 72 sccm(more than 72, don't care)

Immortal1 and Econde like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 124 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I also complete this today

flowerfishs, Kubla and Immortal1 like this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #108 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 05:15 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
AHHH.. I get it now..
I actually got this 2-pack of fittings from Amazon, and they are perfect (with the addition of o-rings I already had in my garage).

But if you go there, you have to select 1/8" OD x 1/8" Male NPT.

But right now that size must be out of stock because the option isn't there. I got a 2-pack Prime delivered for $9.73.

post #109 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivvel View Post
I actually got this 2-pack of fittings from Amazon, and they are perfect (with the addition of o-rings I already had in my garage).

But if you go there, you have to select 1/8" OD x 1/8" Male NPT.

But right now that size must be out of stock because the option isn't there. I got a 2-pack Prime delivered for $9.73.
P.S. Be careful not to overtighten. I destroyed one of those fittings. Thanks to @Bettatail I had extra.

I'll just leave this here... v2.0 with the Porter attached for my 10gal tank. Nothing flowing right now.

Bettatail likes this.
post #110 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

CO2 calibration data for porter B-125-6 has been measured, and I add the data sheet to the first post as well.

@zivvel, @minorhero, and whoever need the calibration data, see the chart below.

bwagner, zivvel, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #111 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 03:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
@Bettatail

I just bought a flowmeter at a steal and I think its usable for co2 . Its a brooks show rate 1350 with an adjusting valve..brooks tube 1-65 and its calibrated for 0 to 10 sLPH of helium at 70 degrees F and 14.7psia.

Is this usable for our purposes? If not im out a whole 13 dollars...lol.

Looking at the math and correct me if im wrong, the correction factor for these from helium to co2 is .30
10lph x .3 = 3lph of co2 full scale.
3 lph x 1000 cc in a liter= 3000cc per hour
3000cc per hour 60 minutes = 50 cc per minute

So 50cc per minute at 14.7psi seems to be right in our range, correct?
post #112 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

first of all, it is a very good flowmeter and a lucky find.

14.7psia is 0 psig.

50cc/m at 14.7psia(0 psig) is in our range, but do not trust the correction factor for exact flow rate. If manufacture calibration data for co2 is not available, you need to calibrate this flow meter with other device.

I have the Brooks instrument calibration manual for 150mm flow meters, but yours is 60mm flowmeter, and it is for helium, I don't have CO2 calibration data for it.
you can use it according to the calculated flow rate, but observe the fauna and never push co2 to the limit.
we can keep looking for the the calibration data or you can send it to me so I will be able to physically measure the co2 flow rate, and make the calibration data chart for different pressure setting.
Immortal1 likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #113 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 10:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
first of all, it is a very good flowmeter and a lucky find.

14.7psia is 0 psig.

50cc/m at 14.7psia(0 psig) is in our range, but do not trust the correction factor for exact flow rate. If manufacture calibration data for co2 is not available, you need to calibrate this flow meter with other device.

I have the Brooks instrument calibration manual for 150mm flow meters, but yours is 60mm flowmeter, and it is for helium, I don't have CO2 calibration data for it.
you can use it according to the calculated flow rate, but observe the fauna and never push co2 to the limit.
we can keep looking for the the calibration data or you can send it to me so I will be able to physically measure the co2 flow rate, and make the calibration data chart for different pressure setting.
Ok, i do also have the key instruments one from evilbay you made the calibration charts for. Maybe i could play around and see how the 2 flowmeters compare.
I wont gas my fish, i have a raspberry pi running reef-pi running my tank...it allows me to use a ph probe to monitor ph and control the solenoid so i can shut co2 down if ph drops too low as a failsafe.
Immortal1 likes this.
post #114 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 09:35 PM
Algae Grower

Struck another lucky find. Actually put in a crazy offer of $15.99 on a flowmeter days ago and they decided to take me up on it.
A Matheson R7640 with the fine flow 610A tube with adjustment valve. In good shape pulled from a working install. We shall see.

Best part is Matheson has the co2 data for that tube available, at 0 psig it reads to 100 sccm, at 20psi almost 200 in pretty fine increments that should cover the range of what I may inject into the 75 gallon with 40 breeder sump
Bettatail and Immortal1 like this.
post #115 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Is the key instruments the one to buy still? Need something for a 45g.

Are the input and outputs 1/8 male npt?
post #116 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

the input/output are 1/8 female npt, this flow meter is still available, the seller still has more than 10.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #117 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
the input/output are 1/8 female npt, this flow meter is still available, the seller still has more than 10.
K great thanks I'll order it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #118 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 07:06 PM
Algae Grower

Being reading through the posts and it can be a bit confusing to wrap my hear around. I do have a couple questions, for the life of me I don't understand psig, as I understand it at sea level it is going to be a ballpark of psig +14. So for the charts does that mean at 40psig the regulator pressure is at around 55psi.

In practical terms if we consider the Key flowmeter as a option, can a user with this particular flowmeter adjust as low as say 1 bubble every couple seconds at the low end and at what psi at the regulator?. I know there is so much variability, but just a ballpark is this doable with a flowmeter that has been covered in the thread?

-=Bryan=-
post #119 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_ View Post
Being reading through the posts and it can be a bit confusing to wrap my hear around. I do have a couple questions, for the life of me I don't understand psig, as I understand it at sea level it is going to be a ballpark of psig +14. So for the charts does that mean at 40psig the regulator pressure is at around 55psi.

In practical terms if we consider the Key flowmeter as a option, can a user with this particular flowmeter adjust as low as say 1 bubble every couple seconds at the low end and at what psi at the regulator?. I know there is so much variability, but just a ballpark is this doable with a flowmeter that has been covered in the thread?
depends on where you use the unit, roughly speaking, 0 Psig is air pressure at sea level, 0 Psia is atmosphere pressure without air.
and 0 psig= 14.7 psia

If it is psi we use in this thread, is the psig, it is the unit you read on the co2 regulator gauges.
For the psia, because this unit most always preferred as spec data on the flowmeter data sheet, we use it sometimes and always mention 14.7 psia as 0 psig...

Bubble size varies, a bubble double in diameter and the volume increase 8 times of the original, and different pressure, different media, different flow rate.... are factors contribute to the different size of the bubbles.
That is why we use high precision flowmeter, so we know exactly the flow rate of co2 and how much co2 goes into the planted/reef tank at a time interval.

add: you just remind me to check my previous work on the calibration measurement, some of the reading may be off and error occurred because the data sheet use psia, I will check and see if I did make mistakes, and will correct them if I did.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #120 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 05:35 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks for the explanation. In my case I wouldn't rely on just a flowmeter and the math behind it, I would keep an eye on the ph using a meter and a solenoid. I thought for the price of of the Key flowmeter it may or may not be as precise as a good quality needle valve. Can the Key be adjusted reliably to only produce a bubble or so every couple seconds in a bubble counter if required for a small aquarium.

-=Bryan=-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode