Flow meters for our pressurized co2 system - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum
 99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 11:50 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I got an email from Forberg a few minutes ago. Apparently they want 67 dollars for the flow tube and require a minimum order of 10 flow tubes (so 670 dollars). That kind of makes replacing the flowtube a non starter for me. I think I read in this thread we can replace just the float? Is that possible? Can I just order a steel ball bearing and go from there? I haven't tried taking mine apart yet to see if this is doable.

Something @Bettatail mentioned, if you put the flow control knob at the output position (bearing in mind that the pressure in your tube from the flow meter to the reactor will always be the same), you can raise your regulator pressure. This added pressure (up to the flow control valve on the flow meter) means each cc of CO2 has a denser concentration of CO2 and thus, you actually need less flow thru the flow meter. As he pointed out in post 1, your math adjustment for pressure is 1.5x for 18psi and 2.0x for 45 psi.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Right now the flowmeter is perfect. I have it on a 40 gallon breeder. But.. I plan to down the road move this to a 120 gallon that doesn't exist yet. I am trying to future proof myself for that reason. I don't think I will be able to get by with the same float for the 120 gallon with sump as I do for the 40 gallon with canister filter.
Immortal1 likes this.

post #78 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Right now the flowmeter is perfect. I have it on a 40 gallon breeder. But.. I plan to down the road move this to a 120 gallon that doesn't exist yet. I am trying to future proof myself for that reason. I don't think I will be able to get by with the same float for the 120 gallon with sump as I do for the 40 gallon with canister filter.

I don't know.. You could be in the 60mL/minute range for a sump/160 gal tank..
Estimates from here:

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members

post #79 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
I don't know.. You could be in the 60mL/minute range for a sump/160 gal tank..
Estimates from here:

https://youtu.be/h2_nj08QwfY
Doesn't a ml translate to 1 cubic centimeter?

I figured the current setup with glass ball is good for like 35 cc per minute? But the steel ball is good for 105 cc per minute right? Hence my desire for the steel ball.

post #80 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Doesn't a ml translate to 1 cubic centimeter?

Yes

Quote:
I figured the current setup with glass ball is good for like 35 cc per minute? But the steel ball is good for 105 cc per minute right? Hence my desire for the steel ball.
I "lost" which exact tube you had and it's max output.
Posed the above just to get some point of reference for large tanks w/ sumps and a flow rate number..

If the above is "your" numbers than yea you won't have enough max flow...

Oh yea, forgot b-125-6 w/ Air rate 34mL/minute..STP.

35 x 1.2 = 42 mL/minute CO2 max...STP

Still lower than "what others use"
I think "we" need a few more estimates on "normal" actual flow rates..
Besides you might find a float by the time of the new tank..

OK it's not really easy in finding examples that one can trust 100% (mine included btw)

Quote:
Throwing my numbers for comparison.
according to my flow meter im at 80ish cc/min. 134 Gall w/ 55 gallon sump, I have a power head on it if it matters. about 20 PSI working pressure. modified cerges reactor.
if i run a co2 line straight from my flow meter to the sump im at 95~100 cc/min, inverted cup method matches this number.

At least it's sort of calibrated..

In light of how things are shaking out it's almost better to just get a new flowmeter when the time comes.
I'm not a fan of bleeding edge CO2 delivery but that is just me..

Quote:
One pound (454 grams) of carbon dioxide CO2 gas occupies 0.2426 m3, or 8.566 ft3, or 64 US gallons, or 243 liters your choice of units!
242000 cc's/ lb..

1lb lasts 40 hours at 100cc/min...5 days,,
sound right??
Bettatail likes this.

post #81 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Yes

I "lost" which exact tube you had and it's max output.
Posed the above just to get some point of reference for large tanks w/ sumps and a flow rate number..

If the above is "your" numbers than yea you won't have enough max flow...

Oh yea, forgot b-125-6 w/ Air rate 34mL/minute..STP.

35 x 1.2 = 42 mL/minute CO2 max...STP

Still lower than "what others use"
I think "we" need a few more estimates on "normal" actual flow rates..
Besides you might find a float by the time of the new tank..

OK it's not really easy in finding examples that one can trust 100% (mine included btw)

At least it's sort of calibrated..

In light of how things are shaking out it's almost better to just get a new flowmeter when the time comes.
I'm not a fan of bleeding edge CO2 delivery but that is just me..

242000 cc's/ lb..

1lb lasts 40 hours at 100cc/min...5 days,,
sound right??
Yeah I might just have to accept I will need a new meter when I get the new tank. Ohs well if I can make it work I will /shrug.

post #82 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
Quote:
Yeah I might just have to accept I will need a new meter when I get the new tank. Ohs well if I can make it work I will /shrug.
I don't think you need a new flowmeter, I will explain later.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 03-18-2020 at 03:26 AM. Reason: later not laterly, :P
post #83 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 09:39 PM
Planted Member

Would this be an acceptable flow meter for my CO2 tank? Seems pretty inexpensive at $28, just would like to make sure I am not wasting money...

Ok, not sure why this thing keeps removing my link, but here it is again,

/itm/Porter-Instruments-Flowmeter-F65-SV3-A25Q-6-B3086-0-120-SCFM/153176633365

Just put the normal ebay url in front of it...

75 Gallon Planted Fresh Water Tank
Fluval FX6 & 406 Filters / 2 x Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Lights
CO2Art CO2 Regulator w/DIY Grigg Reactor
Seneye+ Tank Monitoring System / Atlas Scientific Hydroponic Monitoring System
post #84 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD500_Pilot View Post
Would this be an acceptable flow meter for my CO2 tank? Seems pretty inexpensive at $28, just would like to make sure I am not wasting money...

Well it's sold and prob not..
looks like an A-250 tube.. so
42400cc/min max flow w/ a small height tube.

https://www.parker.com/Literature/Li...0pp.%204-7.pdf

Ok let's just say.. no...............
MD500_Pilot likes this.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-18-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: edit
post #85 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD500_Pilot View Post

as jeff said, no, this model is off our co2 injection range.

for what size planted tank you want a high precision flowmeter? I may find you a good one from evilbay, you can also check my metering valve selection thread to do your own research.
they are normally $250 a piece, cheap on evilbay because no others realize what they can do for our planted tank, now the porter B-125-6 has gone, depleted, but there are still some other brands on evilbay, not many and it is only a matter of time these flowmeters will be gone as well.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #86 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 12:55 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Just popping in to say this is a very useful thread and so is the one about metering valves.
gentoo9ball and Immortal1 like this.

post #87 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 02:23 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
as jeff said, no, this model is off our co2 injection range.

for what size planted tank you want a high precision flowmeter? I may find you a good one from evilbay, you can also check my metering valve selection thread to do your own research.
they are normally $250 a piece, cheap on evilbay because no others realize what they can do for our planted tank, now the porter B-125-6 has gone, depleted, but there are still some other brands on evilbay, not many and it is only a matter of time these flowmeters will be gone as well.
Thank You. I currently have a 75 gallon but looking to move to a 210 gallon. I currently use a bubble counter that came with my CO2Art Regulator along with a PH Controller. I am not too worried about too much CO2 since I have the ph controller sans a catastrophic meltdown of the solenoid on the regulator.

I'll take a look at your other post. Thank You

75 Gallon Planted Fresh Water Tank
Fluval FX6 & 406 Filters / 2 x Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Lights
CO2Art CO2 Regulator w/DIY Grigg Reactor
Seneye+ Tank Monitoring System / Atlas Scientific Hydroponic Monitoring System
post #88 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

post one updated, new co2 injection methods.

let me know what you think about the new method, good and bad, nothing is perfect.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #89 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 08:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Well, this was surprising. Stopped by Menard's today and bought a couple different items based on what @Bettatail posted. Turns out the items shown below will work on the forged frame porter flow meter.

I got my Parker Flow meter from the Bay (Thanks for the link Bettatail!). Now I'm completely confused on the fittings. The bag in the pic identifies this fitting as a 3/8"OD by 1/8"MIP. (I've never seen a threaded fitting size identified by "OD") If I do a search on Menard's it doesn't come up. If I search by the part number (on the bag) it does come up, but identifies it as an 1/8" compression x 1/8" mip and it comes with a nut, ferrule and sleeve. It looks like it's about the right size if you remove the extra parts. I decided to take a chance and order since the total with shipping would be less than $12. They won't ship it to California because of hazardous material. (Gotta love it.) So does the threaded side of an 1/8" compression fitting work with an o ring added? I want to get it righ so I can order it. Not a good time to go shopping!
post #90 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 09:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
If I search by the part number (on the bag) it does come up, but identifies it as an 1/8" compression x 1/8" mip and it comes with a nut, ferrule and sleeve. It looks like it's about the right size if you remove the extra parts. I decided to take a chance and order since the total with shipping would be less than $12. They won't ship it to California because of hazardous material. (Gotta love it.) So does the threaded side of an 1/8" compression fitting work with an o ring added? I want to get it righ so I can order it. Not a good time to go shopping!
Check out my post #72. This is the part I ended up with. It needs adaptation but after that it worked.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode