Flow meters for our pressurized co2 system - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Well, this was surprising. Stopped by Menard's today and bought a couple different items based on what @Bettatail posted. Turns out the items shown below will work on the forged frame porter flow meter.

nice find!
looks like it is exactly the 5/16-24 UNF thread, but on the package/bag only mention for 3/8 OD, it is for air hose?

and how much this piece cost? if it doesn't cost much, and I think I need to refund the shipping charge for the adapters, several people already sent me the payment for the adapters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 01:13 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
@Bettatail - yes, the fitting is originally designed as a tubing adapter - 3/8" tube to 1/8" pipe. $2.76 each plus another $0.79 each for the o-ring.
Was a little surprised at how well the o-ring settled into the recess in the frame as the hex portions tightens into the frame.

I can only assume your typical Home Depot & Lowes stores have the same thing - not sure what is near by each person who has purchase one of these flow meters - might be better going with your offer :-)

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #63 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 04:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks @Immortal for info, very helpful! I took the info to the local Ace Hardware plus Home Depot, but I had no luck in finding a similar fitting.

@Bettatail": Please go ahead and send me what I requested, that'd probably be the easiest plus we know it works also. Hopefully you've already mailed it out as I could of swore I saw Bettatail Prime when I placed the order!
Immortal1 likes this.

post #64 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Everyone,

The OP has been updated, please check to find out how to calculate the actual co2 injection rate, for this porter flowmeter.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #65 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 05:01 PM
Captain

Thank-you @Bettatail for the valuable information on the front page.
A little more info for those with the forged frame Porter B-125-6 flowmeter;

Greggz, Bettatail and Ken Keating1 like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #66 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 06:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was just at my home Depot but sadly could not find the right part. I will keep poking around locally. If I can't find it will pick something up online.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #67 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 06:52 PM
Captain

Now that I have the Porter B-125-6 Flowmeter installed, I am thinking I would like one of the heavier floats (I have the black glass float).
@Bettatail, your calculations on Page 1 reference a chart that reads 10-150. The glass tube on my setup reads 1-15 (same as in your video). I can only assume that my tube reads the same, with the "0" removed from the chart (i.e. my reading of 15 is the same as the charts reading of 150).
If this is true, without changing my regulator metering valve, and installing the flowmeter in place of the Fluval bubble counter, the float is roughly between 14 and 15 (maybe more towards 15). My regulator has always been set at 20psi - and still is. With that said;

Flowmeter reading = 15
Chart conversion = 34.57
CO2 conversion = 0.81
CC/Min CO2 flow = 28.00
Pressure conversion = 1.51 (only because the regulator pressure is slightly higher)
Corrected sccm = 42.28

Long before getting this flow meter I realized that when I increase the regulator pressure from 20psi to 22psi w/o changing the metering valve, I can get another 0.1ph drop on my ph meter (yes it takes a long time, but is repeatable).

If I leave the pressure at 20psi, but open the metering valve 1/4 turn, I can also observe a 0.1ph additional drop on the ph meter.

But, that was just an observation w/o any real flow data. Now with the flow meter, even with the float at the highest reading, I can data log what my previous adjustments were doing to the actual "flow" of co2 into the reactor. Pretty cool.

Now the next challenge is finding a heavier float. Having changed the tube around I realize the float & tube are a "set". So, a B-125-6 tube with a heavier float would be my next quest. I believe somebody else has already tried contacting Porter?
Greggz likes this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 03-14-2020 at 06:55 PM. Reason: <?>
post #68 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Now the next challenge is finding a heavier float. Having changed the tube around I realize the float & tube are a "set".
Technically no...
But I suppose that depemds on the manuf. and what they do.
Aalborg has 100's of beads (so they say) and changing floats just involves pulling the silicone stopper out of one end (suppose the wider end would be a tad more logical).
I've changed my orig ss to sapphire and then to glass so it can be done easily.

I just bought a tube/glass for one of my flowmeters just so I didn't have to mess w/ it.. Cost $25..but these are Aalborgs..

You prob need to contact Parker ,,
Bettatail and Immortal1 like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #69 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Now that I have the Porter B-125-6 Flowmeter installed, I am thinking I would like one of the heavier floats (I have the black glass float).
@Bettatail, your calculations on Page 1 reference a chart that reads 10-150. The glass tube on my setup reads 1-15 (same as in your video). I can only assume that my tube reads the same, with the "0" removed from the chart (i.e. my reading of 15 is the same as the charts reading of 150).
If this is true, without changing my regulator metering valve, and installing the flowmeter in place of the Fluval bubble counter, the float is roughly between 14 and 15 (maybe more towards 15). My regulator has always been set at 20psi - and still is. With that said;

Flowmeter reading = 15
Chart conversion = 34.57
CO2 conversion = 0.81
CC/Min CO2 flow = 28.00
Pressure conversion = 1.51 (only because the regulator pressure is slightly higher)
Corrected sccm = 42.28

Long before getting this flow meter I realized that when I increase the regulator pressure from 20psi to 22psi w/o changing the metering valve, I can get another 0.1ph drop on my ph meter (yes it takes a long time, but is repeatable).

If I leave the pressure at 20psi, but open the metering valve 1/4 turn, I can also observe a 0.1ph additional drop on the ph meter.

But, that was just an observation w/o any real flow data. Now with the flow meter, even with the float at the highest reading, I can data log what my previous adjustments were doing to the actual "flow" of co2 into the reactor. Pretty cool.

Now the next challenge is finding a heavier float. Having changed the tube around I realize the float & tube are a "set". So, a B-125-6 tube with a heavier float would be my next quest. I believe somebody else has already tried contacting Porter?
Yes, the 1 - 15 scale is the same as 10-150 on the scale conversion chart.

if you can find/order a sapphire or stainless steel floating ball from Parker/porter, go for it, I will find the conversion charts.

and I will see if I can find another flowmeter with slightly higher max flow range and available existing support document/charts, from evilbay

add:
increase the regulator output to 45 psi, you can have the bigger pressure conversion factor, and bigger actual co2 flow volume.
Greggz likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 03-14-2020 at 08:52 PM. Reason: add
post #70 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There is a Parker distributor in most area’s of the country. I know my distributor as I dealt with them on a weekly basis. They will have the parts in stock an you can run by an buy it easy.
Immortal1 likes this.
post #71 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Any idea on how to get a flow tube with a steel ball? Pretty sure mine is the black glass ball. I filled out a contact form on the Parker website (I guess porter is owned by parker now?) but haven't heard a response.
I've been working with Josh via phone and emails at Parker as I wanted to obtain a sapphire float plus the adapters and o-rings. Plus I asked some questions regarding the scale range. He can be reached at [email protected].

For ordering parts he referred me to

Forberg Scientific
2719 Industrial Row
Troy, MI 48084
Ask for anyone in Inside Sales
[email protected]
(248) 288-5330

Pat Calhoun is the sales person whom I been working with at Forberg. His email address is [email protected]

It's probably going to take a couple of days to obtain pricing as the parts are not listed and they had to go back to Parker's business unit to confirm pricing.

Hopefully folks will find this helpful.

post #72 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 03:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Went to my local Ace/True Value Hardware store today. The only thing I could find that even screwed in was 1/8 to 1/8 compression fitting. It wouldn't quite work as created but I figured I could modify it. I couldn't even find an O ring heh.

Anyway I wrapped some teflon tape around the ends. This created a seal but I had no way to attach my co2 tubing. I then took one nut from each fitting and drilled the hole larger. a 7/32 drill bit did the trick. I was then able to directly attach the tubing to the compression fitting. So a little DIY but probably one of the more elegant solutions in that I only need a single fitting per connection.

And thank you Ken Keating1. I contacted Forberg to see if I could buy a flow tube.
Bettatail and Immortal1 like this.

post #73 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 08:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

I got an email from Forberg a few minutes ago. Apparently they want 67 dollars for the flow tube and require a minimum order of 10 flow tubes (so 670 dollars). That kind of makes replacing the flowtube a non starter for me. I think I read in this thread we can replace just the float? Is that possible? Can I just order a steel ball bearing and go from there? I haven't tried taking mine apart yet to see if this is doable.

post #74 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Can I just order a steel ball bearing and go from there?
Yes, just get the right one for the tube....
Sadly they may not do it (just the float) but depends on the company...

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #75 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 10:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Yes, just get the right one for the tube....
Sadly they may not do it (just the float) but depends on the company...
Probably easier to take mine apart and get out my calipers and hope its not custom made (which it probably is not).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode