Flow meters for our pressurized co2 system - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
IF I remember correctly (though it doesn't do a lot of good here) BSPT and NPT will sort of fit for a short distance.. But no matter it won't seal..
Minor point is they aren't that different though functionally incompatible..

Been down this road before but think it was 1/4bspt and 1/4npt..
Darn things fit together but don't seal.. It was quite frustrating..

Soo that is why all the pics look flat.. took out the "normal" parts and left w/ just the casting threads..
Just for fun
https://pipeandhose.com/book/npt-vs-bsp-pipe

This could be anything then.. even straight (US) threads w/ an o ring..which is my current guess..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 02:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

For those following along at home, my Porter came threaded as a 5/16" - 24 thread according to my thread finder.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #48 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
@minorhero, @Immortal1, @KayakJimW:

My flowmeters arrived but 1/8" NPT fittings aren't fitting, it appears the threads are smaller than 1/8". Have you determined what fits?
Mine arrived yesterday but it may be a week before I hook it up. One end was flush to the back with threads that look smaller than 1/8NPT. Other end had a coupling in there with eternal threads as well (just like bettatail's pic) and a stainless fitting in that, that I need to remove. Bummer, I thought I'd seen they were 1/8NPT. I'll follow up once I get it operational. Feels rock solid though!

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #49 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
For those following along at home, my Porter came threaded as a 5/16" - 24 thread according to my thread finder.
If the threads is 5/16-24, I think I have the fittings that can be use as adapters, many of them too, but let me try them first, if they work I will send them out for free.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #50 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
If the threads is 5/16-24, I think I have the fittings that can be use as adapters, many of them too, but let me try them first, if they work I will send them out for free.

Straight threads need a gasket to seal..or, rarely a flare end fit..
Some regulator CGA's use this straight thread to flare fit.

As you can see though.. lots of ways/threads..
https://www.swagelok.com/downloads/w...n/MS-13-77.pdf

so you think something like this is the answer?
https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...nptf-male.html

See this chart:
SAE Straight Thread O-ring (O-Ring Boss)
SAE J1926-1 and ISO 11296-1
https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/Fit...Flareless-Comp

Check for an O ring or gasket inside a disassembled one..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-12-2020 at 04:12 PM. Reason: edit
post #51 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
FWIW I contacted the seller. The listing photos show the ports having the threaded adapter fitting which converts the internal port threads to 1/8" NPT, but these adapters were not included with the units I received. Hopefully he has these adapters and is willing to send them out. I'll post his response as soon as I receive it.
Greggz likes this.

post #52 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Straight threads need a gasket to seal..or, rarely a flare end fit..
Some regulator CGA's use this straight thread to flare fit.

As you can see though.. lots of ways/threads..
https://www.swagelok.com/downloads/w...n/MS-13-77.pdf

so you think something like this is the answer?
https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...nptf-male.html

See this chart:
SAE Straight Thread O-ring (O-Ring Boss)
SAE J1926-1 and ISO 11296-1
https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/Fit...Flareless-Comp

Check for an O ring or gasket inside a disassembled one..
there are some thread standards not in the swagelok hand manual, need to physically measure and try the threads to find the solution.

for straight threads, PTFE tape or blue loctite sealant are ok, we don't need it to be pressure proof up to the thousands, but if oring is available, even better.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 03-12-2020 at 04:42 PM. Reason: add
post #53 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

confirmed, without the adapter, the thread is 5/16-24 for porter, Brooks flow meters , and 3/8-24 for matheson, aalborg, cole palmer, gilmount flow meters.

if need adapter, pm me now, let me know if you need one or two pieces.
I don't have the oring, but I guess it is easy to find the similar size around your house.

Porter flow meter, the black fitting is the original, and the brass fitting is 5/16-24 to 1/8 male npt, can be used as adapter.

The port is 3/8-24 thread on the matheson flow meter after taking out the adapter.
Immortal1 and Ken Keating1 like this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #54 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Porter flow meter, the black fitting is the original, and the brass fitting is 5/16-24 to 1/8 male npt, can be used as adapter.
Did the Porter have an o ring like the other (Matheson)?

post #55 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Did the Porter have an o ring like the other (Matheson)?
yes, it is black o ring in the first picture, on the original adapter, hard to tell but it is there.

the brass adapters have small depression at the end of the threads, it is perfectly fit for an o-ring.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #56 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 12:13 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
confirmed, without the adapter, the thread is 5/16-24 for porter, Brooks flow meters , and 3/8-24 for matheson, aalborg, cole palmer, gilmount flow meters.

if need adapter, pm me now, let me know if you need one or two pieces.
I don't have the oring, but I guess it is easy to find the similar size around your house.

Ah, so that is what the original adapter for the Porter looks like. Was kinda thinking it looked something like that which I assume was to allow mounting the flowmeter on a board of some type before connecting the tubing.

O-rings should be pretty easy to source at Menard's - they seem to have plenty of sizes available.

Bump;

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 03-13-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: <?>
post #57 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Anyone who wants to try to get the parts right from Parker Hannifin.

Quote:
If you need to order new adaptors the parts are:

A-808-001 ==> Adaptor
PB-102-5-BN ==> O-ring

Adaptor and O-ring would be required.
NOW I assume that part # is for:
Quote:
Connections - Standard: 1/8" female NPT threaded adaptors with locknuts for front panel mounting.
One could get others I suppose...
Quote:
Optional: 1/8"compression fitting
1/4" compression fitting
1/4" NPT female
1/4" I.D. Hose

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-13-2020 at 06:11 PM. Reason: edit
post #58 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Any idea on how to get a flow tube with a steel ball? Pretty sure mine is the black glass ball. I filled out a contact form on the Parker website (I guess porter is owned by parker now?) but haven't heard a response.

post #59 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Any idea on how to get a flow tube with a steel ball? Pretty sure mine is the black glass ball. I filled out a contact form on the Parker website (I guess porter is owned by parker now?) but haven't heard a response.

My email inquiry took a few days to be answered..

Well surprise, surprise.. Thanks to the part #'s and my Google-foo..
Parts list:
http://0104.nccdn.net/1_5/396/2c9/2a...15-Rev.-E-.pdf
https://www.parker.com/literature/Se...0Rev.%20D).pdf

Sadly.. no tube part #'s but replacing a float is easy (if you get one) but it's also easy to lose or fling parts..
I did all my disassembly float replacements inside a shoe box..
Also found using a small piece of copper wire bent in a hook worked well for pulling out the stopper
minorhero likes this.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-13-2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: edit
post #60 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 12:04 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well, this was surprising. Stopped by Menard's today and bought a couple different items based on what @Bettatail posted. Turns out the items shown below will work on the forged frame porter flow meter.

Greggz and zivvel like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode