CO2 pressurized system, builders unite! - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Nice setup Bettatail. That reg does look very familiar except for the fittings sticking up on the front and back.

Pretty sure that is to capture and route any "outgassing" that occurs at each stage.

https://www.analyzedetectnetwork.com...r67iwoJ4WL.pdf
Immortal1 likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Pretty sure that is to capture and route any "outgassing" that occurs at each stage.
Jeff nails it, those are venting holes, for venting dangerous gas in case diaphragm leaks or punched, and normally at the end of venting line is the reaction container filled with neutralizing agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
So, the purpose of this setup is to evaluate flow thru the flowmeter using either the metering valve on the output or the input?
I was lucky to find the Kip 316 stainless steel double solenoid manifold. clippard, numatics and bestwick also make multiple ports manifolds, but use aluminum and the outlet ports are 10-32.
I think Kip inc. is own by SMC now, I don't know if SMC keep the stainless steel, 1/8 npt ported manifold in production, this manifold can not be found on SMC official website.

You ask the right question, the outer most solenoid is the main to initialize the flow to the flow meter, and the flow rate is decided by the valve(outlet) on the flowmeter, this flow rate can be accurately monitored because the pressure in glass tube is known.
when the outer solenoid is off, the second/inner solenoid allow the flow past the swagelok s metering valve, flow rate can be monitored through flow meter but it is an "estimated" value, because the pressure in glass tube is not known, how much the flow rate to be decided depends on observation.

The purpose of such setup is to inject the co2 in short period of time to rise co2 concentration by 20ppm, through outer most solenoid and the valve on flowmeter, this is relative larger flow and can be done right before the light turns on. The second solenoid turn on while first solenoid is off, the co2 flow rate is small and by how much is decided by observation, this flow of co2 keeps on with the lights on, and replenish the decreasing co2 in the water so the concentration stay between 20-30 ppm.
Immortal1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
Jeff nails it, those are venting holes, for venting dangerous gas in case diaphragm leaks or punched, and normally at the end of venting line is the reaction container filled with neutralizing agent.

I was lucky to find the Kip 316 stainless steel double solenoid manifold. clippard, numatics and bestwick also make multiple ports manifolds, but use aluminum and the outlet ports are 10-32.
I think Kip inc. is own by SMC now, I don't know if SMC keep the stainless steel, 1/8 npt ported manifold in production, this manifold can not be found on SMC official website.

You ask the right question, the outer most solenoid is the main to initialize the flow to the flow meter, and the flow rate is decided by the valve(outlet) on the flowmeter, this flow rate can be accurately monitored because the pressure in glass tube is known.
when the outer solenoid is off, the second/inner solenoid allow the flow past the swagelok s metering valve, flow rate can be monitored through flow meter but it is an "estimated" value, because the pressure in glass tube is not known, how much the flow rate to be decided depends on observation.

The purpose of such setup is to inject the co2 in short period of time to rise co2 concentration by 20ppm, through outer most solenoid and the valve on flowmeter, this is relative larger flow and can be done right before the light turns on. The second solenoid turn on while first solenoid is off, the co2 flow rate is small and by how much is decided by observation, this flow of co2 keeps on with the lights on, and replenish the decreasing co2 in the water so the concentration stay between 20-30 ppm.

nice find dual solenoid manifold and it's a great ideal to build the system. I throw a sgt160 in the trash few months ago. I should keep it and send it to you.

post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLe View Post
I have been looking for tools to open these regs apart. I simple vise is not enough for the job. I built a few vcr 9400 in the past but hate using adapters. We need to come up with a way to tap these ss vcr ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I open a VCR regulator once, APtech equivalent model, could not put all the parts back after the springs pop every little pieces out of places, it was designed with such complicity to prevent leak down to the molecules level, and there is no diagram that I could follow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfishs View Post
nice find dual solenoid manifold and it's a great ideal to build the system. I throw a sgt160 in the trash few months ago. I should keep it and send it to you.
I can open it, I actually open and fix the pictured SGT160, but some times to fix the regulators, need replacement internal parts, not all of them are available though.
Immortal1 likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

how this look?
a rare Victor miniature double stage regulator

Immortal1 likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 04:08 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Pretty slick looking!

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wait what??? Can you do the needle valve like that? I mean input and output swapped?
I guess it does not matter.........I (wrongly) thought it did. Could have made mine much smaller! ha ha

Love how it looks! very nice!

Quote:
how this look?
a rare Victor miniature double stage regulator

-Raj
post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

the direction of flow not matter in this case, we know only the pressure differential and the size of the orifice decide the flow rate.
but swagelok put a flow direction indicator on these valves, because:
1. people will know the flow direction of the flow media in their equipment.
2. the inner valve body is at the outlet side of the needle orifice, so this manufacture designated flow direction has less chance the debris get stuck inside a valve body.

both of 1. and 2. are not in consideration in our co2 system, so reverse direction if need to.

not hold true for some other valves though, such as SMC AS1000 needle valve, due to its design, if reverse its flow direction, means different flow rate.

BTW, the system in the picture is no more, I broke the regulator yesterday when I did the testing, the chance to fix it, is slim.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
BTW, the system in the picture is no more, I broke the regulator yesterday when I did the testing, the chance to fix it, is slim.
Oh nooooo! It was such a neat looking system!
post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
Oh nooooo! It was such a neat looking system!
I fixed it today, but need more testing,
dipan likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

went through the test again, the silver bullet shape victor regulator is not working unless I can find the replacement parts..

anyway, build another similar one, I am sure it won't give me problem this time, look good?

Immortal1 likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 02:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
The Victor bullet shape looked more classic muscle car vintage while the Parker has a more modern feel. Nice work!

Plastic, yuck!
post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Upgraded the regulator, and moved the bubble counter up towards the aquarium. I also cut out some tape and made my own vernier type handle.

Bettatail likes this.
post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

another accomplishment..

Capsaicin_MFK likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/98%)
Nice Triple triple

Bubble counter on first output?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode