CO2 pressurized system, builders unite! - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 05:21 AM
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 11,794
See above not on evil bay.
H is high purity vs I assume standard.
Better cleaning I'm sure some different internals.
jeffkrol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 05:30 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
GrampsGrunge's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Diatom Alley, Lakeside, OR
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post

Pretty close, but the green paint ends at the brass bezel face and the "T" handle is an ornate casting with VICTOR cast on one side of the "T".



Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GrampsGrunge is offline  
post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
PTrader: (89/98%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 2,749
can't tell what is on its back, but as you said there is rear dome, then it is a victor VTS 450.

but lower pressure gauge worry me a little bit though, it is green, which indicates it was for oxygen/corrosive gas service, risk of potential defect/problem is high.

put on a cga 320 nipple and nut to test it first, if it works without problem, then you can get the rest of the components, polish/ketchup the brass, and build it.

if it has problem, it is easy to find repair kit for victor vts450, not expensive but that is another territory if you try to fix it...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
Bettatail is online now  
 
post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 06:43 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
GrampsGrunge's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Diatom Alley, Lakeside, OR
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
can't tell what is on its back, but as you said there is rear dome, then it is a victor VTS 450.

but lower pressure gauge worry me a little bit though, it is green, which indicates it was for oxygen/corrosive gas service, risk of potential defect/problem is high.

put on a cga 320 nipple and nut to test it first, if it works without problem, then you can get the rest of the components, polish/ketchup the brass, and build it.

if it has problem, it is easy to find repair kit for victor vts450, not expensive but that is another territory if you try to fix it...

It was on a TIG welder's Argon tank for years. I think this is high pressure regulator, the HP gauge goes up to 3000 psi.


I'm going to leave it patina'd There's no point polishing it up, the paint is also patina'd. It's from my Father's collection of old tools that actually spent many accumulated months out in Oregon weather. These things got well used.


So now I need a Flowmeter?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-PORTER-...8AAMXQVOhRF0-s

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GrampsGrunge is offline  
post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
PTrader: (89/98%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 2,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
It was on a TIG welder's Argon tank for years. I think this is high pressure regulator, the HP gauge goes up to 3000 psi.


I'm going to leave it patina'd There's no point polishing it up, the paint is also patina'd. It's from my Father's collection of old tools that actually spent many accumulated months out in Oregon weather. These things got well used.


So now I need a Flowmeter?
not the linked flowmeter, you need a flowmeter that can handle at least single digit SCCM flow rate. see my other thread you will find a right one.

BTW, do not post link of any evil bay item, it is against the TPT policy.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
Bettatail is online now  
post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 03:59 PM
Captain
 
Immortal1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfishs View Post
The hpt160 is very rare. A custom dual output for you. after your modification, it would be look great. show some pictures.
First 2 pics are actually from Flowerfishs when he was putting this together for me. The remaining pics I just collected.

In my opinion, the current metering valves on the regulator, and the Porter metering valves on the flow meters are not nearly as precise as the Whitey 21 Series metering valves. I will probably add my second Whitey valve to the back of the 40g flowmeter at some point.



As for the HPT160 - very much a rock solid unit. Once set at 20psi I very rarely have to make any adjustments to it regardless if the CO2 tank is new, or the tank pressure is barely over 100psi.

Probably one of my better investments in this hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6M7ihCX.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	898041  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7sObYta.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	898043  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200510_103726.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	898045  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200510_103805.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	898047  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200510_103941.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	898049  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200510_104029.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	898051  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200510_104058.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	898053  

Bettatail and flowerfishs like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- GreggZ Tank Parameters
Immortal1 is online now  
post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
PTrader: (89/98%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 2,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
First 2 pics are actually from Flowerfishs when he was putting this together for me. The remaining pics I just collected.

In my opinion, the current metering valves on the regulator, and the Porter metering valves on the flow meters are not nearly as precise as the Whitey 21 Series metering valves. I will probably add my second Whitey valve to the back of the 40g flowmeter at some point.



As for the HPT160 - very much a rock solid unit. Once set at 20psi I very rarely have to make any adjustments to it regardless if the CO2 tank is new, or the tank pressure is barely over 100psi.

Probably one of my better investments in this hobby.
The hpt160 look exactly the same as sgt160, and you have your equipment arranged really well, nice job.
I have a sgt160 built for three weeks now, but had some problem and need intense testing because of the design, it is with a flow meter, will show pictures later.
I will also find the co2 flow rate data for the Parker flowmeter at 20 psi, just give me some time.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
Bettatail is online now  
post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
flowerfishs's Avatar
 
PTrader: (54/98%)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles CA, USA
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
First 2 pics are actually from Flowerfishs when he was putting this together for me. The remaining pics I just collected.

In my opinion, the current metering valves on the regulator, and the Porter metering valves on the flow meters are not nearly as precise as the Whitey 21 Series metering valves. I will probably add my second Whitey valve to the back of the 40g flowmeter at some point.



As for the HPT160 - very much a rock solid unit. Once set at 20psi I very rarely have to make any adjustments to it regardless if the CO2 tank is new, or the tank pressure is barely over 100psi.

Probably one of my better investments in this hobby.
The whitey 21 & 22 series is my favorite. Your modification looks very good.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
The hpt160 look exactly the same as sgt160, and you have your equipment arranged really well, nice job.
I have a sgt160 built for three weeks now, but had some problem and need intense testing because of the design, it is with a flow meter, will show pictures later.
I will also find the co2 flow rate data for the Parker flowmeter at 20 psi, just give me some time.
hpt160 & SGT160 looks the same, just different material. I have owned both. very good regulator.
flowerfishs is online now  
post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 04:48 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
AlanLe's Avatar
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,569
Found this box in front of my house.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bettatail and Capsaicin_MFK like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AlanLe is offline  
post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 04:54 AM
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 11,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
Pretty close, but the green paint ends at the brass bezel face and the "T" handle is an ornate casting with VICTOR cast on one side of the "T".


Keep in mind there are parts that wear out..
This was out of my first Victor VTS high pressure seat.. Cracked..


New one.
Bettatail likes this.

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
jeffkrol is offline  
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
PTrader: (89/98%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 2,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLe View Post
Found this box in front of my house.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
let me have it, I can probably make it work,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Keep in mind there are parts that wear out..
This was out of my first Victor VTS high pressure seat.. Cracked..
right at the point,
the new valve seat cost less than the whole valve seat assembly, a bag of ten pieces only $13.10


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
Bettatail is online now  
post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
PTrader: (89/98%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 2,749
Alan, I did a little bit more research about this ultraline 4400, but not be able to find any info. From the appearance of this reg, the chassis resemble a 9400 series, if it is true, the body structure of this regulator may be the same as a a 9400, but different internal valve springs because this regulator handle much lower input pressure. If the difference is only limited to the internal valve springs, you will probably have a good chance to get a low cost VCR version 9400 regulator for pick and pull, such as this one(evil bay key word: MATHESON ULTRA-LINE REGULATOR), then replace the both pressure gauges as well as the internal valve springs assembly.

add:
forget about my suggestion, a more close look, 4400 and 9400 regulator are not the same.

Last edited by Bettatail; 05-11-2020 at 06:50 AM. Reason: add
Bettatail is online now  
post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 06:58 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
AlanLe's Avatar
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
Alan, I did a little bit more research about this ultraline 4400, but not be able to find any info. From the appearance of this reg, the chassis resemble a 9400 series, if it is true, the body structure of this regulator may be the same as a a 9400, but different internal valve springs because this regulator handle much lower input pressure. If the difference is only limited to the internal valve springs, you will probably have a good chance to get a low cost VCR version 9400 regulator for pick and pull, such as this one(evil bay key word: MATHESON ULTRA-LINE REGULATOR), then replace the both pressure gauges as well as the internal valve springs assembly.

I have been looking for tools to open these regs apart. I simple vise is not enough for the job. I built a few vcr 9400 in the past but hate using adapters. We need to come up with a way to tap these ss vcr ports.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AlanLe is offline  
post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
PTrader: (89/98%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 2,749
The sgt160 with flow meter
twin solenoids and flow controls
testing is finally done so I can show the pictures.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
Bettatail is online now  
post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 12:57 PM
Captain
 
Immortal1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,406
Nice setup Bettatail. That reg does look very familiar except for the fittings sticking up on the front and back. Clearly my reg has holes for the fittings, just not sure of their purpose.
That double solenoid block is nice! Very jealous.
So, the purpose of this setup is to evaluate flow thru the flowmeter using either the metering valve on the output or the input?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- GreggZ Tank Parameters
Immortal1 is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome