regulator questions/problems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
regulator questions/problems

So over the years I've acquired quite a few different regulators and various parts whenever a deal presented itself. Finally got around to trying to assemble a few things so I can pressure test, and then decide what setups to sell and what to keep etc.

One problem is a Matheson 3102. Looked like a nice reg, but after purchasing it I found the output pressure is limited to 30 psi. Still should work for aquarium needs, so got new gauges and started assembling. As I'm going through the pressure testing I found the first stage is fine. However, when trying to get the working pressure up, its maxing out at around 13 psi. I'm honestly not even sure what this might mean?

The other problem is with a Scott regulator (the model number escapes me at the moment). This one has a pressure relief valve between the first and second stage. Once I got it set up and hooked it to a CO2 tank, the pressure relief valve blows immediately upon opening the tank valve. I dont even think the high pressure gauge moved before the valve opened. So I thought maybe it was a faulty valve (the stock one is a multi piece unit with a spring so I though maybe I was missing something). I had another relief valve to fit the threads (but dont know the exact specs of that valve....i think it was only for 30 or 45 psi maybe). It too opened as soon as I opened the tank valve. So does this mean the first stage of this regulator is shot? Could it be that I need a pressure relief valve with higher psi? Or could I have screwed up which ports the gauges and valve gets inserted into this particular regulator?

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
matheson 3102c is 15 psi max output.

There are many Scott regulator models, old and new, If I remember it right, Scott is a brand under Harris Group.
normally the relieve valves in between the stages has a setting of 250 psi max, exact setting depends on the type of regulators and manufacture, but around 50 psi is definitely too low, you need a right relieve valve or a plug to test this Scott regulator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
matheson 3102c is 15 psi max output.

There are many Scott regulator models, old and new, If I remember it right, Scott is a brand under Harris Group.
normally the relieve valves in between the stages has a setting of 250 psi max, exact setting depends on the type of regulators and manufacture, but around 50 psi is definitely too low, you need a right relieve valve or a plug to test this Scott regulator.

My matheson 3102 has no letter after the model number that I can find anywhere. Although since I'm only seeing 13 psi it very well might be the "c" model. Guess that means its working as intended!

I thought about trying to just plug the spot on the Scott regulator where the relief valve is located. I figured the pressure of the relief valve only came into play as I increased the working pressure so thought anything would allow me to start testing!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 02:44 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
The other problem is with a Scott regulator (the model number escapes me at the moment). This one has a pressure relief valve between the first and second stage. Once I got it set up and hooked it to a CO2 tank, the pressure relief valve blows immediately upon opening the tank valve.

If the pressure relief was orig then the high pressure seat is probably shot.... well repair exceeding value..
unles you rebuild it yourself..
Is it this model or similar?

SCOTT 18A
Plugging it and letting FULL tank pressure course through the reg (if seat/diaphragm is shot) is not what I'd consider..
Second thought is yea maybe a replacement relief valve..

Usual action would be to relieve over pressure then reseal.. leaving a charge in the 1st stage when 1) pressure drops below cracking and 2)tank valve is shut off....
Then again tank pressure gauge may be shot as well..

A victor might work..
https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...EF:X:0600-0014
If you really want to futz w/ it the allen screw in the back (if like the above model) sets the hp set point..

Anyway..
https://www.artisantg.com/info/ATG7k3fp.pdf
Quote:
Two pressure reduction stages provide sensitive and accurate pressure control. The1[censored]1/2" diameter first stage diaphragm is preset to reduce the inlet pressure by about 90%. The 3[censored]1/8" diameter second stage diaphragm allows sensitive delivery pressure control by using the adjustment handle, specially designed to fit your hand.One extra feature which is standard on the Model 18 is a preset safety relief valve between the first and second stages. This is an external valve with a 1/4" NPT male outlet that should be attached to a vent system. The relief valve protects the second stage diaphragm and downstream equipment by releasing excess gas pressure in the unlikely event that the first stage fails to regulate pressure
SUGGESTION: Take the relief valve to a gas supply house. See if they can test it for you..If not shot, dump the reg..

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-03-2020 at 03:05 AM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
If the pressure relief was orig then the high pressure seat is probably shot.... well repair exceeding value..
unles you rebuild it yourself..
Is it this model or similar?

SCOTT 18A
Plugging it and letting FULL tank pressure course through the reg (if seat/diaphragm is shot) is not what I'd consider..
Second thought is yea maybe a replacement relief valve..

Usual action would be to relieve over pressure then reseal.. leaving a charge in the 1st stage when 1) pressure drops below cracking and 2)tank valve is shut off....
Then again tank pressure gauge may be shot as well..

A victor might work..
https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...EF:X:0600-0014
If you really want to futz w/ it the allen screw in the back (if like the above model) sets the hp set point..

Anyway..
https://www.artisantg.com/info/ATG7k3fp.pdf

SUGGESTION: Take the relief valve to a gas supply house. See if they can test it for you..If not shot, dump the reg..
+1
this model of scott regulator is also named fisher scientific, too old, some are from the 50s or 60s, they have rubber diaphragm without strong enforcement fibers.
avoid it, the fail rate is high enough not worth the effort to test or repair it, even it is cheap.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah it does look like the one pictured. Guess I know why I was able to get it cheap! I've had it sitting around so long I dont even know what I paid for it, so mentally no big deal if I have to toss it....i guess. I'll play around a little more with it before I give up entirely.

Rich's Fishes

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode