• 1 Post By mossman77
  • 1 Post By Greggz
  • 1 Post By mossman77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO Storage Tank Setup

I plan on getting a 25 gallon storage tank to store RO water for water changes. I currently have an under-sink RO system (Home Master TMAFC-ERP) in my kitchen, and plan on tapping off the output of the RO membrane filter and running a 1/4" tube through the bottom of the cabinet and subfloor to the storage tank below in the basement. I would have a float switch in the tank that controls a 12Vdc shutoff valve, and there will be a drain valve on the bottom of the tank for getting water. It is typically around 68 in the basement, so I'm wondering if I should add a heater. I will be cutting the RO with 50% tap water, so I was thinking I'd just use warmer tap water to bring the temperature up to what I need it to be before adding it to the tank (typically 78F). One downside to using warm/hot tap water is I'd be adding whatever solids have collected in my hot water tank. Is this an issue?

Any feedback regarding my setup would be greatly appreciated, as well as recommendations for parts vendors (primarily the tank and a decent valve). I found a couple tanks I like, but shipping is nearly as much as the tank (https://www.tank-mart.com/plastic-ta...rage-tank.html). I'm thinking 20 gallons would be plenty, since that will give me 40 gallons of WC water.

Rudimentary diagram of proposed setup: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uu7...ew?usp=sharing
MD500_Pilot likes this.

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle

Last edited by mossman77; 03-02-2020 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Added comment soliciting recommendations for parts vendors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 05:55 PM
Algae Grower

I keep my storage barrel near my hot water heater so that helps temp, but what helped most was getting the barrel/tank off the concrete floor. After a day water is warm enough. In the winter if Iím in a hurry I will drop a heater in, but most times its close enough
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman77 View Post
II would have a float switch in the tank that controls a 12Vdc shutoff valve, and there will be a drain valve on the bottom of the tank for getting water. It is typically around 68 in the basement, so I'm wondering if I should add a heater.
Plan looks good except for one thing....the shut off valve controlling the solenoid.

When the large storage tank is empty, your 3.2G tank will not fill until the storage tank hits the float switch. That means no drinking water in the kitchen until it fills.

IMO, you want a mechanical float valve and a solenoid. You can control the solenoid with a mechanical timer or smart plug, so that you only make water for the large storage tank over night. That way you have water in the kitchen all day every day.

You can also get a 110 solenoid as well.......
https://www.amazon.com/Beduan-Soleno...6ED7RWYC6&th=1

Now as to heating, while it would be nice, I don't think absolutely necessary. Even if you changed 100% RO water, the tank would probably only drop to the low 70's. Not enough to bother most fish. That being said, I do heat mine, but I am changing 70%, and my storage tanks are right up against an outside wall of the basement, and are more like 65* in the winter.

It's a good idea to dose the storage tank ahead of time. Ca takes a long time to dissolve, and anything with CO3 to raise KH can send pH levels skyrocketing for a few hours or day until it comes into equilibrium. Also a good idea to have a air pump aerating and churning the water a few days before a water change. Stagnant water will not have much oxygen and the more you aerate it the easier it will be on your fish.

Hope that helps.
zmartin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Plan looks good except for one thing....the shut off valve controlling the solenoid.

When the large storage tank is empty, your 3.2G tank will not fill until the storage tank hits the float switch. That means no drinking water in the kitchen until it fills.

IMO, you want a mechanical float valve and a solenoid. You can control the solenoid with a mechanical timer or smart plug, so that you only make water for the large storage tank over night. That way you have water in the kitchen all day every day.

You can also get a 110 solenoid as well.......
https://www.amazon.com/Beduan-Soleno...6ED7RWYC6&th=1

Now as to heating, while it would be nice, I don't think absolutely necessary. Even if you changed 100% RO water, the tank would probably only drop to the low 70's. Not enough to bother most fish. That being said, I do heat mine, but I am changing 70%, and my storage tanks are right up against an outside wall of the basement, and are more like 65* in the winter.

It's a good idea to dose the storage tank ahead of time. Ca takes a long time to dissolve, and anything with CO3 to raise KH can send pH levels skyrocketing for a few hours or day until it comes into equilibrium. Also a good idea to have a air pump aerating and churning the water a few days before a water change. Stagnant water will not have much oxygen and the more you aerate it the easier it will be on your fish.

Hope that helps.

Didn't think of those things. Thanks!

Alternatively, I could get a pressurized expansion tank and connect it to my other tank. That way the water would be accessible from the kitchen faucet, which would be really convenient, and I wouldn't have to worry about solenoids, timers, and lugging buckets up the stairs. Only issue I foresee with this solution is a 20 gallon RO tank (with 14 gallon capacity) typically only has a little over half that capacity (8 or 9 gallons) at 40 psi (my source water pressure). I get 2.5 gallons out of my existing RO tank, so that would give me nearly 12 gallons of RO, cut with 50% tap gives me 24 gallons of WC water. That's more than enough. The 20 gallon RO tank (iSpring or APEC) is about $180, but a 20 gallon plastic tank isn't much less after the shipping cost.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman77 View Post
Alternatively, I could get a pressurized expansion tank and connect it to my other tank. That way the water would be accessible from the kitchen faucet, which would be really convenient, and I wouldn't have to worry about solenoids, timers, and lugging buckets up the stairs.
Here's one more thing to think about.

RO water from a pressurized tank comes out SLOWLY (especially at 40psi). If you add another pressurized tank, it will take a long time to get 12 gallons from it.

If it was too slow, you could add a demand pump. Still would be slow but better.

---
---
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Here's one more thing to think about.

RO water from a pressurized tank comes out SLOWLY (especially at 40psi). If you add another pressurized tank, it will take a long time to get 12 gallons from it.

If it was too slow, you could add a demand pump. Still would be slow but better.

Yeah, I realize that, but it sure would be more convenient. I can increase my feed water pressure which would boost the tank pressure and the 3/8" tubing helps. Guess there's one way to find out. I'm ordering the tank through Home Depot, so I can easily return it if it isn't to my satisfaction.
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode