Help with gla regulator splitter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi, im wondering if someone can help me find the right thread size. I have the gla pro with a single bubble counter but im wanting to split to 2 tanks. Right now i just have the line tee'd and its less than ideal. I domt want to pay an arm and a leg for gla's manifold block ($250)

So the bubble counter on the needle valve is 1/8" and im wondering what most of the generic splitters size is? Im usually good at researching but i cant find much info. My plan was to use some sort of bushing (expander/reducer) from the 1/8 to whatever the generic splitter are. My guess is theyre 1/4 but hard to tell from pictures and the descriptions dont say.

Such as these

https://www.amazon.ca/Splitter-Regul...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-29-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 03:09 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Rather than trying to guess the sizing of those splitters, you could probably keep the 1/8" fitting, and get a 1/8" needle valve (Fabco makes one for around 30 bucks (Canadian dollary-doos).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Splitting off one NV will be very frustrating in practice. The feed rate will tend to be very different between the tanks. I just bought an extra manifold block from GLA for 70 dollars and expanded my single NV system. I guess you could also just get a 2 output NV though. Eitherway you can't control two outlets with one control valve and expect good results.

edit: I got this one. You can unscrew the manifold block you have right now and it slides onto the screws on top of the original one. No need to purchase a double block or anything like that,

https://greenleafaquariums.com/produ...ld-blocks.html

but it looks like they have been raising prices a lot.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 07:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatoonplantguy View Post
Hi, im wondering if someone can help me find the right thread size. I have the gla pro with a single bubble counter but im wanting to split to 2 tanks. Right now i just have the line tee'd and its less than ideal. I domt want to pay an arm and a leg for gla's manifold block ($250)

So the bubble counter on the needle valve is 1/8" and im wondering what most of the generic splitters size is? Im usually good at researching but i cant find much info. My plan was to use some sort of bushing (expander/reducer) from the 1/8 to whatever the generic splitter are. My guess is theyre 1/4 but hard to tell from pictures and the descriptions dont say.

Such as these

https://www.amazon.ca/Splitter-Regul...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
i believe these types screw into your existing needle valve, if your needle valve looks like the ones on milwaukee or azoo regs.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moke View Post
i believe these types screw into your existing needle valve, if your needle valve looks like the ones on milwaukee or azoo regs.

G1/8..is listed for it to mate to.

Quote:
G1/8 INTERFACE OR 4*6MM AIR PIPE: Fits for G1/8 interface(need to unscrew the nut), or connect to the 6*4mm(inner diameter 4mm,outer diameter 6mm) air pipe, the nut is for fixing the air pipe prevent the air pipe from collapsing.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B081C7ZW1N/...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. After lookimg at 1/8 couplings at homedepot i think its even smaller than 1/8 (where the gla bubble counter screws into on the reg)

A double gla manifold on a canadian website is $250!!! Might as well just buy another regulator at that price.

Seems as though im in a pickle
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatoonplantguy View Post
Thanks for the replies. After lookimg at 1/8 couplings at homedepot i think its even smaller than 1/8 (where the gla bubble counter screws into on the reg)

A double gla manifold on a canadian website is $250!!! Might as well just buy another regulator at that price.

Seems as though im in a pickle
You seem to be missing some pieces in between the bubble counter and the regulator (needle valve, solenoid)

The fitting from the regulator to the solenoid is typically 1/4" or 1/8".

The fitting from the solenoid to the needle valve is whatever GLA uses, though it is commonly 1/8" as well.

From the needle valve to the bubble counter, it is whatever GLA uses. This might be 1/8", but you mentioned that it is smaller.

If this is the case, the easiest solution is to buy two needle valves, just use a Y or T splitter, and get two bubble counters that fit the new needle valves.

Fabco makes reasonably precise NV-55 in 1/8" sizes, so this would be a cheap alternative. Should cost under $80 for the needle valves and all the fittings.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So i emailed them and apparently its a 10/32 thread. They really didnt want anyone using other branded stuff 🙄
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:09 AM

Fabco makes an NV-55 using the same #10/32 ports. You can find adapters for them to standard NPT sizes.

However, the problem with #10/32 was that they were quite fragile; a bump would often shear the connection clean off. This is why most people have shifted to using 1/8" NPT at the smallest now.

Anthony

and

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode