RO Reservoir (tapping off existin RO system) - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Immortal1
  • 1 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO Reservoir (tapping off existin RO system)

I recently installed an under-sink RO system in my kitchen (Home Master TMAFC-ERP), which has a 3.2 gallon holding tank and dedicated faucet for drinking, cooking, etc. I'd like to tee off the system and feed a line down to the basement directly underneath to a 25 gallon tank, which would be used for water changes. The RO system has a remineralization filter (adds calcium and magnesium). Should I tee off prior to this filter or after? I'm thinking tap off before then add my own minerals.

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 03:50 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would agree - make you connection before the remineralization filter. Much better to adjust your RO water to what your tank needs vs what somebody "thought" you needed for drinking water.
Also of note, your 3.2g holding tank will not build any pressure until your 25g tank in the basement is full and whatever shut-off mechanism in the 25g tank creates enough pressure to fill the 3.2g tank.
@Greggz has a similar setup where he puts RO into his holding drum at nite and the pressurized tank during the day for drinking water.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
FWIW, I run mine through the remineralization filter. It adds about 14 Ca and 2 Mg, which is about 2.5 GH. I add additional on top of that to bring GH to about 8. But it's not such an exact number that we need to hit it precisely, so I would not worry about it too much.

Keep in mind when you allow the water to flow to the large holding tank, the first thing that will happen is the 3.2G will drain to the tank. Like @Immortal1 said, the large holding tank would need to be filled completely before the 3.2G would start filling again.

But there is a way around that. I use a solenoid to control when I make RO water for the holding tank, and it only comes on overnight. So at 11:00PM the solenoid opens to send water to the holding tank. It goes all night until 5:00AM. When the solenoid turns off, now the water is directed back to the 3.2G and in my case is full in the morning.

So basically I only make RO for the large holding tanks overnight, so that we can use RO from the 3.2G during the day in the kitchen.

Hope that makes sense.
deeda likes this.

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 02-24-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode