Automated Fertilizer Dosing Recommendation - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Automated Fertilizer Dosing Recommendation

I’m investigating automated fertilizer dosing systems for a new tank build. Will be a 60 gallon (or bigger) with probably an Oase canister. What do folks here have and what are are your tips and recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 01:48 AM
Planted Member

I use two Kamoer X1 dosing pumps. They're more expensive than the Jebao pumps that are also very popular, but they have some nice features, like setup through an app (it uses Bluetooth). I also designed and 3D printed a bracket that holds my dosing lines, ATO line, and temperature probe. It looks okay, but I'm considering getting some stainless steel or glass U's instead to make everything less obtrusive.
P.Isley likes this.

My Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would check the @MD500_Pilot thread. He just set an auto dose system with lots of information there.
MD500_Pilot and P.Isley like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 05:58 PM
Planted Member

I just purchased and installed the GHL Doser 2.1SA and it is a fantastic system. About the only thing I did not like about it was the setup with their own AP mode was a bit weird, in the end I just ended up using the USB cable to set it up and attach it to my WiFi and from there it was great. The only other thing I didn't care for was it's Windows Only desktop application requiring me to spin up another VM, but that is a personal preference.

I had gotten the Jaebo unit for like $50 and it was just that, a $50 doser. I lost two of the four dosing heads ina matter of weeks after putting it into service. The GHL is quality built and very, very nice unit, but you pay for it.

Greggz and P.Isley like this.

75 Gallon Planted Fresh Water Tank
Fluval FX6 & 406 Filters / 2 x Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Lights
CO2Art CO2 Regulator w/DIY Grigg Reactor
Seneye+ Tank Monitoring System / Atlas Scientific Hydroponic Monitoring System
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys. Super helpful. Does anyone have these set up inline on their canister outflow?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
That would be a mistake as they have a habit of back flowing as their failure mode. I would just fashion a drip directly into the tank. I fashioned some hooked dosing tubes that attach to the rim of my tank using velcro using rigid airline tubing for my reef tank. they are clear and can be obfuscated by putting them next to the canister outflow.

I use an old kamoer pump but will upgrade to the ecotech pumps in the future (after tax rebate).
evil8 and P.Isley like this.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Itís best to drip in the tank than inline. Point of failure is high when doing it this way. Can always high lines behind plants.
P.Isley likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Personally I drip my auto doser into the tank, never letting output of the doser (tubing) come in contact with the water. This way I can ensure no back feeding of tank water.

|

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 11:13 AM
Planted Member

I have a Marine Magic triple doser. So far its reliable and has many replacement parts. 90 bucks USD.

It however has some cons. You have to do daily dosing, you cant set it to be like every 2 days or 7 days, it uses 4 dosage rates but with timing to dose, so you have to messure how much its dosing to get it to be accurate to your goal. It has the rates in the manual. You can dose each pump 1 to 18 times a day. For someone doing PPS it is absolutely perfect for the price. It also has battery back up but you have to put some rechargeable batteries in it. It only saves the time and dosing record, it wont dose if the power is completely cut.

Also all my pumps have check valves and I also let it drip into the water, having it in the water presents two possibilities, one it can possibly suck water down outside the tank if there is a leak, two it would leach out ferts from what's sitting in the tubing as the water and the fertilizer would try to equalize, youd end up with a strong accidental dose followed by weaker ones.
P.Isley likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Algae Grower

Since you asked for general tips and recommendations...

I had an automated dosing set up for a while. For me it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. I had visions of tweaking this and that with complete control via the doser. After a while I settled on a fertilizer mix that requires nothing more than a quick squirt or two from an eyedropper so I got rid of the dosers. No more calibrating dosers; cleaning/replacing tubes and containers that get mouldy; and unclogging tubes that had fertilizer build-up. In my case, simpler turned out to be better.
Greggz and P.Isley like this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The use of a doser is great especially if you have a busy life. I was a maintenance man for 40 years. Worked 7 days a week and long hours. My dosers saved my tanks from days when I was tired and could devote the time needed to them as I needed to.
Being in the field of where I had to take care of equipment like dosers. I spent time at the National aquarium MACNA. I have gone to it for 27 years. I looked at every brand. The vast majority where the same pump with a different skin marketed by a different company.
I bought into the GHL system because the owner was a hobbyist and a electrical engineer . Dosing pumps need to be checked every so often just like any other piece of equipment in a tank. If properly maintained a good dosing pump will dispense a dose at the exact time of day every day. Day in and day out. Better than we poor humans could ever do.
P.Isley likes this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by infolific View Post
I had an automated dosing set up for a while. For me it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. I had visions of tweaking this and that with complete control via the doser. After a while I settled on a fertilizer mix that requires nothing more than a quick squirt or two from an eyedropper so I got rid of the dosers. No more calibrating dosers; cleaning/replacing tubes and containers that get mouldy; and unclogging tubes that had fertilizer build-up. In my case, simpler turned out to be better.
You know, I have considered setting one up many times, but this point of view has been my concern.

Would be curious if others have had issues like this? For some reason it seems to me like something else that could fail or need constant tweaking.

I mean really, my routine now is pretty easy. I front load all macros, and walk over to the tank every morning with my cup of coffee and toss in 20oz of micros. In the scheme of things, seems pretty simple.

That being said, I do love gadgets. Just wondering if there are others who went that way and found it wasn't worth it? Or on the other hand, couldn't live without it??
P.Isley likes this.

---
---
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I want this so bad! Don't own it, would still recommend it because it's freaking beautiful:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/versa...ch-marine.html
P.Isley likes this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have been following this thread since I will shortly be in the market for an auto doser myself. My phone was doing some friendly spying on me and put this story in my feed:

New Seachem Aquavitro Sentia Dose Pump System

Looks pretty spiffy. No idea when it will be available, how much it will cost, or if its any good but it looks spiffy ;P

Since I am quite cheap whenever possible I am more seriously considering this Jebao 4 head pump.
P.Isley likes this.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 03:09 AM

Just added two of the Kamoer X1 dosing pumps yesterday. Due to work/play schedule I'm frequently away from home for up to a week at a time, so I'm hoping the dosing pumps work out. At $60 a piece I figure they are worth a try.
P.Isley likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode