Steel stand, plywood top, rubber spacer pads. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Steel stand, plywood top, rubber spacer pads.

I have an Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand for my 40 Gallon breeder. The setup instructions have you put 4 penny-sized rubber spacers on the frame, one on each corner. I am going to put a 1/2" piece of plywood between the frame and the tank. The rubber spacers don't make sense to me as the plywood would deal with any irregularities. Should I take them off before mounting the plywood?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 07:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
I have an Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand for my 40 Gallon breeder. The setup instructions have you put 4 penny-sized rubber spacers on the frame, one on each corner. I am going to put a 1/2" piece of plywood between the frame and the tank. The rubber spacers don't make sense to me as the plywood would deal with any irregularities. Should I take them off before mounting the plywood?
I would have to see the instructions to understand... but you mean they want you to put something between the stand and the tank? Are you sure those are not meant to go on the feet between the stand and the floor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I would have to see the instructions to understand... but you mean they want you to put something between the stand and the tank? Are you sure those are not meant to go on the feet between the stand and the floor?
Yes. They have leveling feet on them and the instructions put the pads on the top. I found a youtube video on it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwkTUtwl4P0 . They mention it briefly, basically saying that the purpose is to keep the aquarium from resting on the metal. Since I'm going to put the tank on a piece of plywood with a rubber yoga mat pad, I think the video answered my question and I'm going to remove the pads before putting the plywood and the tank on the stand

Of course, solve one problem, find another. I was planning to put a piece of plywood on the bottom rails and put probably a 29G there. I just realized that it would be extremely difficult to do water changes on a tank that low to the floor. I may have to go back to my idea of using a submerged water pump to do water changes.

New problem. I put the tank on the stand with plywood etc and then noticed I had a chip in the glass. This is the second tank I had this problem with. The first I was willing to guess that I had missed it when buying (used) but two, both lower corner where the side meets the front pane I believe I'm doing something wrong. Any Ideas? Both times I noticed the chips after moving to a final location. Both times the tanks had been sitting waiting before putting on the stand.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-25-2020 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 04:32 PM
Planted Member

You'll want to get a tank mat, sort of like a dense yoga mat. That way the whole perimeter of the tank will be supported.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
New problem. I put the tank on the stand with plywood etc and then noticed I had a chip in the glass. This is the second tank I had this problem with. The first I was willing to guess that I had missed it when buying (used) but two, both lower corner where the side meets the front pane I believe I'm doing something wrong. Any Ideas? Both times I noticed the chips after moving to a final location. Both times the tanks had been sitting waiting before putting on the stand.
Any chance a door is banging into it when its being stored? Or you are kicking it? Or if you have other people you live with, they are kicking it by accident as they walk by? It takes a decent amount of force to chip glass. I suspect you would notice it if you did it yourself with your foot. But a door.. or someone else doing it by accident and not telling you?

If this is a rimless tank then I second the yoga mat idea. If its not a rimless tank then I would avoid a yoga mat.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thinking of why they do not want the tank resting on the metal may help to get a better idea of tank setup. We do often find folks wanting the tank supported all around but that is very much just the way we think, not based on practical.
We often look at glass as fragile and therefore has to be supported. Wrong! Glass is very brittle and does break easy but it is also very strong and a sheet of sidewall, even 12 inches high is nearly impossible to bow down.
So the point of the rubber bumpers is to actually keep the rim from setting on the metal! They know it is not a problem and they do want to prevent water spills from setting under the edge where they tend to make the metal rust. So rather than doing as the normal thinking says, they want an air gap for drying!
I've seen many dorm room tanks supported on concrete blocks placed only at each corner.
It is critical to keep the tops of the corner supports as level all around as we can, but center support is not needed. The older style wrought iron stands had angle iron which could be pressed down in the center of the horizontals as they were not meant for support but used simply to keep the legs upright.
Yoga mats? They are pretty much a sponge to hold water in place while something goes wrong.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Any chance a door is banging into it when its being stored? Or you are kicking it? Or if you have other people you live with, they are kicking it by accident as they walk by? It takes a decent amount of force to chip glass. I suspect you would notice it if you did it yourself with your foot. But a door.. or someone else doing it by accident and not telling you?

If this is a rimless tank then I second the yoga mat idea. If its not a rimless tank then I would avoid a yoga mat.
In both cases, the tanks were stored for a while in the living room, so the possibility of something bumping into them was great.

I ended up going with the plywood with a yoga mat cover. I had to tack the plywood onto the stand with a couple of dabs of super glue. Now, I just need to figure out how I want to use it and then how I should set it up. I'm leaning towards setting it up as a breeding tank if 2 of the angels pair off.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode