New filter reccomendations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Mud
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New filter reccomendations

Hi all,
The filter on my 35 gal tank is starting to sound old and worn so I need to think about replacing it. What I currently have is a HOB that runs with filter floss, bioballs and Siporax ceramic media. Should I replace it with the same thing or what would be better?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Mud thats going to depend on alot, what are you aiming for, how much space and where, what you prefer, price range.

Oh and filter preference is about like asking which oil to put in your vehicle (if you have any knowledge of truck forums ya probably get the reference). Bunch of preferences with many on each side of that preference.

Personally if I went with another HOB I would probably go with a aquaclear 70 (could get by with 50 also). Adjustable flow and easy media removal/install and super easy to cut your own sponges for.

If going canister my favorite is the oase biomaster right now. Either a biomaster 250 or filtosmart 200 would probably work pretty good and have convenience of adding a heater in the filter. Still thinking about doing that with mine.

Personally I cant stand in tank filters except the sponge filter. The various ones with the removable media I wouldnt take for free unless it was in sealed box and I could resell it, even then probably wouldnt bother.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Can you just get a replacement impeller for it? Usually when thay get noisy itís shaft/bushing wear causing it to wobble, that can also slow down rotation speed and output considerably.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Mud
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Can you just get a replacement impeller for it? Usually when thay get noisy it’s shaft/bushing wear causing it to wobble, that can also slow down rotation speed and output considerably.
Didn't think of that. I'll check and see before getting a new system.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode