3Likes
  • 1 Post By Streetwise
  • 1 Post By Streetwise
  • 1 Post By SardinePatheNews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Are any of you running powerheads in shrimp tanks?

There are dead zones in my two Osaka (45 gallon cube) tanks with only their canister filters going. The Fluval 205's are undersized as flow goes anyway (180 GPH), so diverting them isn't going to be ideal. I've dropped a couple of powerheads in there which are working great but shrimp are coming. I don't want unsightly sponges or a 5" Aqua Clear prefilter, and was wondering if anyone has managed a DIY solution that isn't bigger than the powerhead itself. I'd be more inclined towards something that would have to be cleaned frequently than something that might not but is an eyesore. I'm guessing this is akin to asking if anyone knows of an air pump that doesn't vibrate but I've seen some clever ideas on here so thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Try a Top Fin MF10 ($13) with AquaClear 20 foam (more coarse than included foam). It is small, versatile, quiet, and shrimp-safe. I run 14 of them on eight tanks as my only filtration, but I am still waiting for another hobbyist here to try one!

Cheers
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Never thought I'd buy a Top Fin product after my experiences with other's filters and heaters they brought into my store, but I'm giving that one a look. Reminds me of the little Dennerle shrimp king filters. Guessing you just replace the filter body with the sponge? An AC20 sponge could definitely be hidden. Though I do wish they came in black for in-tank purposes.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 05:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The blue part on the bottom is a little removable box where the foam goes. It comes with a green piece of foam, with a cylinder cut in the middle, filled with carbon, and a little foam plug. When you want to clean, you just pop off that box from the powerhead part of the filter, remove the cover, pull out foam, and so on. I have been replacing my foam with the more porous AC20 block, which is almost the same size, and fits right inside. I'm keeping all the old foam in case I ever want to use some carbon or whatever for a special purpose.

The included, but optional, spraybar is a generic size, so I have cut my own spraybars for various purposes, like in my gemini picos.

In my nano cube where I have a pair of these, I'm using a timer (Apex in my case) to alternate which one is running, so the flow direction changes.

Cheers

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 02-22-2020 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Foam color
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 10:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've had a Hidom branded generic 5w 350lph claimed Internal Filter Pump thing running as circulation pump in a 48inch tank that has shrimp in since oct 2018 (according to amazon history),
sponge gets a rinse every 2 or 3 months but as its only a couple of inches down in the end where the canister feeds in its dealing with mostly clean water, you may get less gallonage if its sucking up more lumpy water
flow wise ive no idea how much it falls short of the claimed 350lph but its got enough output to swirl a water lettuce on a full circuit of the tank every 30 ish seconds..and its black

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode