• 1 Post By somewhatshocked
  • 1 Post By minorhero
  • 2 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Stand ideas for smallish (10 gallon Dennerle) tanks

I have two (only one is set up) 10 gallon Dennerle Scaper's tanks that I would like to put on stands that are at least close to the tank's size. Footprint is 16" x 12.5". I would like one stand for each tank and plan to put them in opposite corners of the room. Dennerle/Shrimp King doesn't seem to manufacture anything for these.

I bought a couple of Ikea style wrought iron end tables from Amazon, but upon assembling them they were far too flimsy to put 90ish pound aquariums on. Wondering if any of you know of a certain line of cabinets or end tables that are sturdy enough for these and have a profile that wouldn't be too far off from the aquarium's footprint. I'd like to hide equipment inside so a closed cabinet preferred. Thanks so much.

Something along the lines of Chlorophile's stand here would be right up my alley:
https://i.imgur.com/KRsULE4.jpg

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 02-14-2020 at 10:44 PM. Reason: clarified what I'm after
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dunno if I can link directly to another website but checking the Ikea page there is a console table called the HAVSTA that is 39" long, 14" wide and 24" high which is pretty darn close. Seems sturdy enough but it might be a bit pricey at $150
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

That would work but I'm hoping for a stand for each tank ideally, not one for both of them. I should have clarified. In a perfect world the stands would be a clean cabinet/tower type with the same footprint. Can't believe they don't offer one, they're fairly popular little tanks. That price range is fine if it's the right stand, btw.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 11:14 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
What kind of height would be ideal?

Any particular price point?

I've spent way too much time helping a friend source a few tables the past month and now have hundreds of options in mind. Might as well take advantage of the situation while my mind still works!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Something in the 28-30" range in height would be perfect, but as long as the tanks don't sit too low I would consider it. I'd like to keep the stands under $300 for the pair but for the right thing could go beyond that.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Something in the 28-30" range in height would be perfect, but as long as the tanks don't sit too low I would consider it. I'd like to keep the stands under $300 for the pair but for the right thing could go beyond that.
You could hack a IKEA kitchen wall cabinet, they are fairly strong have a lot of options for door fronts, clean white wood effect etc. They also come in 15" x 15" and 18" x 15" with heights of 30" or 40". Would probably want to reinforce the top and the back with a sheet of plywood, not too hard. The top can be laminated by cutting down an extra cabinet door (instead of plywood) as it will be the same width/style and just need to cut the back side to length.

" border="0" />
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 07:21 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
For finished, tank-specific stands, this is the first thing to come to mind. I'm not linking that retailer for any purpose beyond photos, but it'll give you an idea of the price range. Should be able to find it for cheaper. Comes in a few different dimensions and colors.

This from IKEA will seem chintzy at first but it's wood, easily modified and comes in a few different sizes. If you're smart about it and have a Dremel and a hacksaw (I know you have better than that, just mentioning it for others who may enjoy DIY idears), you could turn it into an ideal tank stand. The Kallax line, though not wood, is another flexible option that's easy to modify and reinforce for something up to about 100 pounds.

This from Target could be an option with a couple simple edits. Comes in different colors and sizes. Just don't use the wheels, don't install the towel rack on the side. There are a couple sturdy bamboo options that would be super-easy to spray paint to your desired color.

Those are just a few of the things I've got saved on my phone at the moment. Tons more on the MacBook, depending upon taste and direction you want to go.

Saw a few nice kitchen carts at Home Depot this morning that were under $150. Both oak and pine options, some unfinished. So if you haven't been to a big box hardware store recently, definitely stop in to see what's available.

Quote:

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Oh, man that first site almost has the exact dimensions. The 40 cm is 1/2" too short in length and the 45 cm is 1" too short in width! Might very well get the 40 cm and make a slightly oversized plywood platform if I don't find anything closer.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 02-15-2020 at 10:33 PM. Reason: clarity
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I see that the Fluval Flex 15 gallon stand would do in a pinch but I hate that there's no door and the wavy design: https://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-.../dp/B06W9G8BB4 Wish they made a basic rectangular cabinet.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Microwave stands can work, if looking for a good search term.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I was stunned that I couldn't find anything at Ikea's website that was even in the ballpark of what I wanted dimension-wise. The problem is I want these matching tanks on opposite sides of my computer desk and there isn't much wall space. I'm getting two of whatever I decide on and the father beyond the footprint of the tank I go, the less wall space there will be. I may just have to put them side by side after all, I just like the way the room looks better with them apart. I think the Fluval stand might be the way to go, even though I don't like it! The price is right though, no modification needed, it will definitely hold the weight, and it's about the closest size I've found. These are odd tanks Dennerle makes. I really like them, but there's not a lot out there to put them on. I guess people assume you'll just stick a 10 gallon wherever, but these are very pretty low iron rimless tanks.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I have two (only one is set up) 10 gallon Dennerle Scaper's tanks that I would like to put on stands that are at least close to the tank's size. Footprint is 16" x 12.5". I would like one stand for each tank and plan to put them in opposite corners of the room. Dennerle/Shrimp King doesn't seem to manufacture anything for these.

I bought a couple of Ikea style wrought iron end tables from Amazon, but upon assembling them they were far too flimsy to put 90ish pound aquariums on. Wondering if any of you know of a certain line of cabinets or end tables that are sturdy enough for these and have a profile that wouldn't be too far off from the aquarium's footprint. I'd like to hide equipment inside so a closed cabinet preferred. Thanks so much.

Something along the lines of Chlorophile's stand here would be right up my alley:
https://i.imgur.com/KRsULE4.jpg
It wasn't easy, but I did find some options.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Turns out the proper name is "Accent cabinet". Wayfair allows you to search by overall width of an item which is handy. A search with a minimum of 15" and not larger then 17" turned up a bunch of results. Here are 3 of them. But there is definitely more out there.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

The Wayfair accent cabinet is currently leading the pack, thank you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode