Fluval FX6 - New Install - Questions and Advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Fluval FX6 - New Install - Questions and Advice

Morning all,

My two Fluval 406's on my 75 gallon CO2 injected tank keep spitting out microbubbles. I've replaced every single user serviceable part from impellers to hoses to valves to o-rings and I still get bubbles. Tiny little bubbles which ordinarily would be fine but I suspect they are knocking CO2 out of solution and causing me to have CO2 swings which is causing me headaches with the algae, particularly BBA. I thought I had them figured out but they have returned and I am about done with them. If I didn't have CO2, I wouldn't worry to much about them but I do, so I do.

Picked up a single FX6 for a sweet deal ($240) at PetSmart last night which should fit the bill as far as GPH and flow and whatnot. I was looking at replacing the heads of the 406's for $99 each off eBay but that's $200. For another $40 I get a new filter that is pretty good from what I am reading and slightly better. Plus I can unload the 406's and make up some of the difference by selling them used. I am still on the fence because I REALLY like my setup but I am REALLY tired of the microbubbles...

So, back the the FX6. I want to split both the intake and output so I can continue to have an intake at both corners and an output at the 1/3 and 2/3 mark in the tank. I have a Rex Grigg's style CO2 reactor inline on the outflow of one of my 406's. So, my questions and advice sought are:

- Should I not worry about the two intakes and two outlets and just have one of each? Is it overkill to have two?
- If I do split it, should I just do one intake and two outlets or one outlet and two intakes or two intakes and two outlets?
- If I do split it, was thinking that going from the 1" ID tubing down to two 3/4" would be just fine. Agreed?

Anything I am not thinking of? Thoughts? Thanks for the advice!

Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Splitting would be beneficial as the out flow from the FX6 is hard on plants. I gave it some thought and found a “flow tamer spraybar” on Amazon, went with that as way easier than try to work with fluvals flexpipes
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, well, installed it tonight. It hums louder than a blown transformer. It's unreal. I am pretty frustrated. Been working on replumbing since 6pm tonight and to fire this thing up and hear a loud hum just #%$(*&@#_*$&@#_*(&[email protected]#_($&*[email protected]#(&$*. Yeah.... Emailed Fluval. We'll see what they say.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I guess you don't get to complain about Fluval on these forums. My last posting got closed. Hmmm...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 10:57 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
Your other thread was locked because it was a vendor review that veered off into classist, borderline racist territory on top of being an emotional meltdown. And this thread gets closed, as well.

Act like a respectable person, ask for advice, comment, be decent to others and follow our guidelines.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 03:14 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just in case other users are not aware; moderators will edit out the worst parts of certain posts, while trying to keep relevant content intact. We will typically insert a 'Moderator edit' or something to that effect to acknowledge that an edit has been made (and you can also see this at the bottom of the post).

Moderators can also do post tracking, to see all edits that have been made to a particular post.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode