Acrylic tanks - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Deanna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Acrylic tanks

I am setting up my custom 75 gal acrylic tank , that's why I have started a few threads lately . I have another question for any one who can answer it......
The tank has some crazing on the bottom of front corner , it does not go into the joint , but just above it . I used the tank for a year or 2 before I had health issues and had to tear it down . The crazing was there then and I think I may have asked this question then , but I couldn't find it by searching . Anyway the crazing is the same as it was when I tore it down . Should I be concerned about it ? Pic below , if need a better one let me know . TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Craze.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	893247  

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes; be concerned, but just keep an eye on it. Crazing is nothing more than minute cracks and acrylic is subject to crack propagation. Many things could cause such expansion of the minute fractures, e.g.; too much weight, an impact anywhere on the panel, the wrong chemical coming into contact with it, etc. Acrylic absorbs moisture up to a point. This means that one surface will have absorbed moisture (inside the tank) and the other surface (outside the tank) won't have moisture. The result is that slight bowing can take place on the moisture laden side. This puts stress on the tank and stress may result in crack propagation of the crazed section.

You can try re-enforcing that area with cement normally used when cementing two pieces of acrylic together, such as MDC. That trick can, sometimes, work to fill in and bind the micro fractures.

You may be ok, but I'd put a water sensor in that area just in case. A dramatic failure probably wouldn't happen immediately. It is more like to start cracking and leaking slowly ...in time for a sensor to alarm you.
Leeatl likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks . I will look into the glue idea . I have some of the thick and thin glue .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Thanks . I will look into the glue idea . I have some of the thick and thin glue .
Make sure it is approved to work on acrylic. I'd call your local plastic sheet distributor or fabricator. They can sell you some.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I bought it for acrylic , it is Weldon I think .

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I think its important to note that there is no "acrylic glue". Weldon is proper for acrylic and its technically a solvent. Just like "pvc glue" (again not really "glue"). These both essentially melt (dissolve) two plastic surfaces which can then be joined into one. Not a good idea to try to use it to "fill areas" like you might try with silicone.

I suppose you could try to use the thin/watery weldon (I forget if they use numbers to designate strength or how they do it, but I know there are different types). The thin/watery stuff can be applied into a seam with a needle. You could try to see if any solvent wants to sort of "flow" into the seam between your front and bottom panels on that acrylic tank. I'm just not sure if thats something that is recommended to do on only a portion of a seam. You might need to re-do the whole seam or risk the solvent messing up a portion of that seam that is currently fine.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode